Wholesale Automatics A442F valve body. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's not entirely true, due to transmission internals and such on the A442F it does start in second gear sometimes. This isn't by choice and is more of a random thing but it does occur more than some owners would like. (I am one, truck has been doing it since I bought it at 118k miles on it and currently has 285k miles.)

Not mine. It starts in 1st and then shifts into 2nd...
Same here. The '93 always starts in 1st. The '97 has the 2nd gear start feature; when not engaged it'll start in 1st as well.

Having spent most of my 'wheeling life with a GM 700R4 (besides the outings 'wheeling the FJ40, first with a 4-speed, and later with a 5-speed...), I find the 1-2 upshift on the '93 difficult to predict, let alone get used to - hence my earlier question.

Dan, once you had the chance getting her into Low range, I wouldn't mind hearing how it goes.

Dan is correct. A442F will always start off in first, I’ve owned both. 93-94’s don’t have the 2nd start button. Doesn’t bother me a bit.
That's not entirely true, due to transmission internals and such on the A442F it does start in second gear sometimes. This isn't by choice and is more of a random thing but it does occur more than some owners would like. (I am one, truck has been doing it since I bought it at 118k miles on it and currently has 285k miles.)
The diesel A442f trans must be different. It's certainly not random. Truck starts of in 1st every time except it you put the selector in '2'. Every automatic HDJ81 (3) I've driven was like this.

I've got the full wholesale automatics fully hydraulic a442f. In low, I can start in 2nd. In high, I have never tried but I assume it would be the same. I dunno.

The Australian instructions were brief, very brief and left a lot to an American's imagination. Fortunately I had my factory service manual handy and a Toyota Master Tech that likes a challenge. He put up with my "help" quite well.

Georg will draft additional instructions that are better suited to this market so future installations with be much more friendly.

There is an old saying that goes something like "This thing has more parts than an automatic transmission". I'm not sure that's possible. :rofl:
I remember the Australian instructions missing a step. I had to take mine apart after installing because it wouldn’t shift out of first gear and only after calling down under did I figure it out.

Dan, can you update this with mpg numbers after a few tanks? Curious to see the difference if any.
Thanks

I have complete fuel records going back to the day I bought the truck in 1993. All 829 times I've fueled it, including the day before yesterday right after the valve body went in. Any change should be evident. :lol:

Oh, 16,942 gallons so far. :steer:

I have complete fuel records going back to the day I bought the truck in 1993. All 829 times I've fueled it, including the day before yesterday right after the valve body went in. Any change should be evident. :lol:

:eek::eek::eek:

Translated: one dinosaur's worth of fun!

I hope to help diesel guys here
First thing you must understand that there are 4 types of transmission for an 80 series, only 3 of those for diesels and gasoline (but third), the 4th for gasoline only
Transmissions:
1-A440F that is TOTALLY hydraulic as it DOES NOT use solenoids
2-A442F first gen if you will, gasoline engines had it as well as diesels and DOES NOT have a 2nd start, but has power (ECT)
3-A442F second gen, comes with power and 2nd start and only for diesel engines 95 and up, such transmission was later called AW450-43LE and came also in 100 series diesels up until 2002 with 1HD-FT engines (1HD-FTe came with A750F from 2003 onwards)
4-A343F only gasoline engines and even the V8 4.7 from 100 series had it up until 2002 I believe

The first gen A442F and second gen A442F can be used in different cars, the sole change is the Neutral safety switch. I own a 1995 1HD-T with an A442F second gen that had tore appart and ...well...long story short...got wet, rusted quickly so came across an A442F first gen and now have it on, sole change needed was the Neutral Safety Switch right under driver's side...due to my wiring and computer (my guess) it now has the capability of 2nd start

Last edited:
I also like to say that the A440F is the actual fully hydraulic, as the others have solenoids, to be FULLY hydraulic would mean that the shifts are made due to internal preassure, and the others make them by solenoids and/or preassure...otherwise, all transmissions are hydraulic as they all use oil

Last edited:
I hope to help diesel guys here
First thing you must understand that there are 4 types of transmission for an 80 series, only 3 of those for diesels and gasoline (but third), the 4th for gasoline only
Transmissions:
1-A440F that is TOTALLY hydraulic as it DOES NOT use solenoids
2-A442F first gen if you will, gasoline engines had it as well as diesels and DOES NOT have a 2nd start, but has power (ECT)
3-A442F second gen, comes with power and 2nd start and only for diesel engines 95 and up, such transmission was later called AW450-43LE and came also in 100 series diesels up until 2002 with 1HD-FT engines (1HD-FTe came with A750F from 2003 onwards)
4-A343F only gasoline engines and even the V8 4.7 from 100 series had it up until 2002 I believe

The first gen A442F and second gen A442F can be used in different cars, the sole change is the Neutral safety switch. I own a 1995 1HD-T with an A442F second gen that had tore appart and ...well...long story short...got wet, rusted quickly so came across an A442F first gen and now have it on, sole change needed was the Neutral Safety Switch right under driver's side...due to my wiring and computer (my guess) it now has the capability of 2nd start

The HDJ81's that are coming out of Japan, the early ones ('90-'92) had a fully hydraulic (no solenoids) A442F, no O/D on/off button on the shifter, no ECT Power button, TC lockup in OD only. This is the transmission my '91 had.

The later, '93+ HDJ81's have an electronic version of the A442F (with solenoids), has the O/D on/off button and ECT Power button. This is the transmission my '93 has in it.

I'm not sure what a '95+ would have in it.

I'm not necessarily disputing what you've posted regarding the A442F's, but it may not be the same for all markets.

The HDJ81's that are coming out of Japan, the early ones ('90-'92) had a fully hydraulic (no solenoids) A442F, no O/D on/off button on the shifter, no ECT Power button, TC lockup in OD only. This is the transmission my '91 had.

The later, '93+ HDJ81's have an electronic version of the A442F (with solenoids), has the O/D on/off button and ECT Power button. This is the transmission my '93 has in it.

I'm not sure what a '95+ would have in it.

I'm not necessarily disputing what you've posted regarding the A442F's, but it may not be the same for all markets.

This is the trans that I have... no ect button.

Well, my understanding is that if it is PRND32L is an A440F if it has PRND2L then is A442F if it has a button for OD then it has solenoids at least one, no button, then fine, no solenoids and full hydro

Well, my understanding is that if it is PRND32L is an A440F if it has PRND2L then is A442F if it has a button for OD then it has solenoids at least one, no button, then fine, no solenoids and full hydro

Here's my '91 HDJ81 when I imported it, PRND32L shifter, no O/D on/off button, no ECT Power button, fully hydraulic A442F transmission.

shifter.jpg

I see it, then 440...is either a 440 or all FSM for 442 are wrong, but lets not fight over this...if you want, I have the FSM of both transmissions as I have repaired them both...if no solenoids, then A440F...if you want to call it A442F or the plaque says so, undertand it can be changed (I did it with mine) The A440F has better OD therefore better fuel milleage, as of now, thinking on changing mine to an A750F, but that is yet another thing. enjoy it

I see it, then 440...is either a 440 or all FSM for 442 are wrong, but lets not fight over this...if you want, I have the FSM of both transmissions as I have repaired them both...if no solenoids, then A440F...if you want to call it A442F or the plaque says so, undertand it can be changed (I did it with mine) The A440F has better OD therefore better fuel milleage, as of now, thinking on changing mine to an A750F, but that is yet another thing. enjoy it
? There’s also full hydraulic A442’s? Are you saying if it’s hydraulic it’s an A440? That’s not the case.

Fully hydraulic means no solenoids, therefore no computer to shift, all A442F use computer an A440F no need for a computer as the gears are selected due to oild preassure and revs...if we want to be truthfull ALL transmissions are hydraulic (all use oil)

Here's my '91 HDJ81 when I imported it, PRND32L shifter, no O/D on/off button, no ECT Power button, fully hydraulic A442F transmission.

View attachment 2398682

Yes, my fully hydraulic A442f is identical to yours: PRND32L, no O/D on/off button, no ECT Power button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom