Who heats their RTT and what do you use to heat it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm guessing here with how much propane it burned, but it was not that much... the tank is 10lbs and was used the same night to fire up the lil camp fire.... so, kind hard to gauge consumption.....

Venting was no issue at all... it was fng cold and windows were closed... with the combustion happening outside and away from the tent there is really no worries, but we did have a CO alarm

They other thing was that even with all windows closed there was no condensation build in the tent...

Cool. It’d be cool to mount it where the spare tire used to be underneath. Build a heavy platform out of 3/16” steel with a door on the backside that you flip open. Mount the propane tank on the rear swingout with a connection extended through the rear bumper. I wonder if that would be too close to the gas tank...

I'm pondering putting one of this under my rig....
5137XDmevvL._SL1001_.jpg

I would think that would be a PITA to refill. Where as a 20lb LP tank can be swapped out for $20 at a million places. And in a pinch you could use 1lb propane tanks.

How did the mister heater do?

I read somewhere that a person heated their RTT with a buddy heater however they had a vestibule and it was on the ground inside of it.

When I had my Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top that’s exactly what I did. It worked great. Of course the material that EA uses really helped keep the heat in, not sure about cheaper tents.

I slept in my RTT for the first time last night at 10,000 feet, ~10 F. I have a synthetic 0 F bag and put my more comfortable 25 F inside. When it gets cold my feet tend to get the worst of it so I put hot water in a nalgene and put it down with my feet. Still warm in the am.

I also have a mr buddy. I turned it on for 2-3 min right before I went to sleep and when I woke up in the morning to look out the window. Whole setup worked quite well.

The best setup for us is running the large Mr. Buddy “downstairs” in the annex. Kid 1 sleeps down there on a cot. We run a hose kit with a 20# tank far out. Upstairs, we use the windows to regulate temps. We also run a CO monitor downstairs. We put the heater on top of a tote for stability.

It works awesome! Wouldn’t change a thing. If it’s rainy, we can all sit upstairs and visit. Only issue is that in the mornings you don’t want to leave the tent!

Never had issues with moisture or CO. Only problem is with the small 1# tanks, they will run out about 3-4am, typically when it’s coldest outside.

Highly recommended.

@ jcruse, 50-55? you seriously didn't just call that cold? like land crusher said, you don't even need a heavy bag.

Bag? I don't even own one anymore. Spending a day on the beach at 70* often leads to a 50* night. No bag, no coat, just a light blanket and a little bump of heat from somewhere to get to sleep. This is typically at the end of the season, say October. When the Stripers are biting.

I use two down comforters and a mr buddy single burner 1# bottle thingy to take the edge off at night and before getting dressed in the morning. But I live on the wild side. I do keep a knife handy in case there is a desperate need to exit away from an unintentional fire...

I have a great sleeping bag. Like others, I use the Little buddy heater to warm up the tent and then once I am in the bag and comfy I turn it off. In the morning when I wake up, I turn it on again and let it warm up the tent before I get up

I run a buddy heater down in the annex if it's super cold. But never overnight. Only if I'm in here doing something and need the heat.

Otherwise a good down sleeping bag and down comforter gives me all the warmth options I need for sleeping. I've never been cold and generally leave windows open regardless of temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom