Who heats their RTT and what do you use to heat it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The very few times I heated my standard sized RTT it didn't take much to warm such a small space, but each method I tried wasn't exactly practical. An electric heater can drain a battery fast, and a propane heater seems kinda dangerous.
I'm done camping for the winter but could use some ideas for next season. So what do you guys prefer to use for heat "up in the house".

SmallPropane heater (like a Little Buddy) is a good choice, ventilate well and keep a carbon monoxide meter in there.

Personally I dont think anything with a flame is a safe idea inside of any RTT. I dont know of any RTT with an emergency exit. On my electric heat I upgraded the standard cig lighter plug to Anderson connections and fused with a lower and much closer to the wattage rating for an increased level of safety.

Personally I dont think anything with a flame is a safe idea inside of any RTT. I dont know of any RTT with an emergency exit. On my electric heat I upgraded the standard cig lighter plug to Anderson connections and fused with a lower and much closer to the wattage rating for an increased level of safety.
Are you running an aux battery?

Ditto to what LCP said. I used an electric blanket plugged in to my inverter (a 12v would be more efficient than running through an inverter...) and it worked incredibly well. I currently run dual group 27 batteries.

Chester and a 0* bag... but, no RTT... we’re both clumsy.

7A69C128-A3D2-49B1-A16F-C7955B68FFC1.jpeg

not sure if this is the same as others but I have a yakima RTT and the sleeping pad that comes with it seems to keep things pretty warm on its own - I’m assuming its some sort of memory foam

I read somewhere that a person heated their RTT with a buddy heater however they had a vestibule and it was on the ground inside of it.

I'm looking at a 12v electric blanket right now, if anyone has a suggestion for a really nice unit. The one I'm looking at is kind of small, 58x48, but has a 30-45 minute timer on it. But I don't see any issue with using a propane buddy heater if you have an annex. I don't care for propane heat, it leaves some odor and dries out the air pretty bad.... Might be bearable to turn on right before bed and waking up.

Last edited:
Are you looking to warm tent for changing or hanging out or are you looking to stay warmer sleeping? If its sleeping then try a single wall metal water bottle. I fill one or two of those with hot water and place in my wife and daughters sleeping bag. They never have issues with staying warm. Bottle will still be warm in morning. As afar as heating for changing purpose, I have used propane lantern in tents. They will help with a little warmth. Not sure trying to keep the tent itself warm all night is very efficient.

Thanks for the replies.

I never even thought of a blanket because I never saw a 12V version before. That sounds like just the thing for my situation. I just need to get situated and then fall asleep with it on, and then on the first roll-over I'd shut it off and be asleep again before it cools off. Coldest I normally camp out is about 50-55 at night.

The Lil' Buddy type is another possibility. I've been using a tiny AC heater but usually have to connect the inverter first as it seems to drain the battery when off.

Still looking up the Heat Source product though.

Pngunme: I love that pic. If I had access to a desert (and a dog) you'd never get me out of it. :)

I'm looking at a 12v electric blanket right now, if anyone has a suggestion for a really nice unit. The one I'm looking at is kind of small, 58x48, but has a 30-45 minute timer on it. But I don't see any issue with using a propane buddy heater if you have an annex. I don't care for propane heat, it leaves some odor and dries out the air pretty bad.... Might be bearable to turn on right before bed and waking up.
Odd, one of the byproducts of burning propane is H2O.

Odd, one of the byproducts of burning propane is H2O.

No telling. The last one I had, I had to crack the windows because it got so hot. Maybe the combination of dry outside air and heat gave a dry feeling. Definitely an slight weird odor though. Works good to heat a space quick, but for me... not good to run propane all night for a tent.

The wife loves the buddy heater in our large canvas tent. We use a hose kit and a 6gal tank. It does kick out some moisture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom