Who heats their RTT and what do you use to heat it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You might be surprized how much, just a top quality sleeping bag, does for cold weather camping. Maybe it's only psycological or something, but for me, knowing I can just climb in it and get cozy warm anytime I want, helps me to endure the cold and wind before bedtime. And waking up snug, warm and refreshed in the a.m. keeps it tolerable while getting dressed and starting up the stove and/or campfire for another day. And the secret to staying warm in the bag is: the less you have on - the warmer you will be. Your body heat is reflected back to you by the bag and traps that warm air pocket where it does the most good - next to your skin. The initial shock of getting into the "cold" bag will quickly dissipate to comfort provided your bed is dry and sufficiently insulated from the ground or other heat sucking sleeping surface. In 5 yrs of RTT camping, I've not used any heat source other than body heat in my tent. Good quality tent fabric - also helps. I'm surprized at the difference in ambient outside & inside temps - even with venting to keep the moisture under control. My tent is a CVT Mt. Baker hard shell. I know what it's like to shiver all night and start the day under those conditions. Miserable only starts to describe it.

You might be surprized how much, just a top quality sleeping bag, does for cold weather camping. Maybe it's only psycological or something, but for me, knowing I can just climb in it and get cozy warm anytime I want, helps me to endure the cold and wind before bedtime. And waking up snug, warm and refreshed in the a.m. keeps it tolerable while getting dressed and starting up the stove and/or campfire for another day. And the secret to staying warm in the bag is: the less you have on - the warmer you will be. Your body heat is reflected back to you by the bag and traps that warm air pocket where it does the most good - next to your skin. The initial shock of getting into the "cold" bag will quickly dissipate to comfort provided your bed is dry and sufficiently insulated from the ground or other heat sucking sleeping surface. In 5 yrs of RTT camping, I've not used any heat source other than body heat in my tent. Good quality tent fabric - also helps. I'm surprized at the difference in ambient outside & inside temps - even with venting to keep the moisture under control. My tent is a CVT Mt. Baker hard shell. I know what it's like to shiver all night and start the day under those conditions. Miserable only starts to describe it.

Agree, I have bags for different temps, a really good mummy bag that I have been comfortable in temps in the teens and I keep all my clothes inside the bag with me, rolled up by my legs and mid section, boots stay out. Also an easy add on to any sleeping bag, is a good wool blanket, just throw it over the bag.
This is off topic a little, but for anyone who uses an air mattress, get fitted sheet, put a wool blanket on it, cover with the fitted sheet and the wool blanket will stop the cold air transfer, great nights sleep.

12 volt mattress pad heater and one of Grammas old quilts.

With the 12v pad, is the power draw acceptable for overnight use off the car battery? I have a 31AGM that my fridge runs on, I imagine my fridge won't run on nights that cold and it would probably be fine.

We made a good amount of trips in North Africa , so heating was really not a problem ...
Once this area become unsafe , we had to turn our attentions elsewhere .
Northern Europe , with all that goes with it .
if it rains , for days ,and nights without stopping it gets easly cold and un pleasant to camp.
Our solution was to install a diesel air heater in the car .
I choosed Webasto air top 2000 STC
great product .
it works with the diesel tank of the car , so very easy .
uses 200 cc per h.of fuel
and very little electric energy ,
well must say that you need full power from your battery for 1 min , to start , other than that is very economical.
you have a easy thermostat , and can run all night .
it is as big as a shoe box
6C outside , 22C inside .
dryes up all the humidity in the car .
the down side is that it costs 7-1000 € .

thats our solution .

bye Renago

12 volt mattress pad heater and one of Grammas old quilts.
who makes a decent quality matress pad, that wont burn up in middle of the night

No RTT for me, I only car-camp either in the 80 or a tent off 1 side.

I use a Lil' Buddy in the tent like others but one trick esp for winter is I always boil some water & fill a vacuum bottle, it's ~hot coffee temp since I don't bother to pre-heat the jug & it's norm 3-5 hrs before I crack it open.

I keep the hot water & a cold bottle by me, and esp in winter with arrid conditions, I rarely even have to get up to pee.

It works great for me & I even have 1 low leg made mostly of titanium that gets cold/stays cold since it's a giant heatsink.

I also keep my custom hand made afghan blanket with me in case I ever get cold. It’s super warm. I’m brand loyal like that.

37E6B353-891C-4B0B-8A74-F55038CCA87C.jpeg

ok let me rephrase what 12v heater blankets or whatever are available??

With the 12v pad, is the power draw acceptable for overnight use off the car battery? I have a 31AGM that my fridge runs on, I imagine my fridge won't run on nights that cold and it would probably be fine.

12V Blankets range from 50 - 75 watts, most have timers, and adjustable temps. So 75 watts all night would be about 50ah or near max recommended discharge for a group 31. I would make sure you carry a jump box.

I found that you are able to reset the timer throughout the night without waking up.:D

@LandCruiserPhil Here are the specs for my battery (Duracell AGM 31)... I assume this is total capacity and not just discharging to 11.5V or 12V. The blanket I purchased has a 4amp draw and 30 and 45 minute timer, with reset button on remote. It should be pretty easy to test performance at the house since the only variable will be ambient temp. I've left my fridge to run in a hot truck for 24 hours before and it dropped it to about 12v, I would expect a 31AGM to handle intermittent 4 amp draw for 8 hours..... Caveat, I somewhat understand battery specs, but it seems like there isn't enough information to determine the energy potential between 12.6v down to 12V.

• 1 amp hour rate:68.2
  • 100 amp hour rate:110
  • 20 amp hour rate:105
  • 3 amp hour rate:85
  • 5 amp hour rate:86
  • 6 amp hour rate:87.4
  • 8 amp hour rate:90
  • Battery Electrolyte Composition:Glass Mat
  • Battery End Type:Top Post
  • Battery Purpose:Starting Lighting Instrumentation
  • BCI Group Size:31
  • CCA at 0 degrees F:800
  • Freight Class:65
  • MCA at 32 degrees F:1000
  • Minutes at 15 amps:348
  • Minutes at 25 amps:210
  • Minutes at 5 amps:1265
  • Minutes at 50 amps:87.4
  • Minutes at 75 amps:53
  • Minutes at 8 amps:706
  • Polarity:Left Positive
  • Reserve Capacity:200
  • Terminal Type:STUD/SAE
  • Volts:12

How about the hot water bottle trick.....but fill w. coffee for the next morning. Always hated the start the stove/water boil routine first thing. must be something I'm missing here:bang:

car batteries, an inverter and an electric blanket(?)

Reactions: RFB
Coldest I normally camp out is about 50-55 at night.

50 degrees isn't very cold. That's like summer time lows in mid elevations. You wouldn't even need a heavy bag for that.

No pics... but camped out in AZ 22ºF used the Propex Heater to heat up the RTT & rig (for the pooches)...
Everyone was warm & happy...

No pics... but camped out in AZ 22ºF used the Propex Heater to heat up the RTT & rig (for the pooches)...
Everyone was warm & happy...

Got any pics of how you installed it?

Unfortunately i don't.... but it did p happen.. lol..
Basically the Propex on top of the cargo box (see pic).
20171219_111110~2.jpg

A "Y" ABS splitter hooked to the duct tubing... one going to the tent the other going to the rig....
heater ran all night....

Unfortunately i don't.... but it did p happen.. lol..
Basically the Propex on top of the cargo box (see pic).
View attachment 1596482
A "Y" ABS splitter hooked to the duct tubing... one going to the tent the other going to the rig....
heater ran all night....

That is kind of what I was envisioning. Any concerns about venting? How much propane does it go through in a night?

Any concerns about venting? How much propane does it go through in a night?

I'm guessing here with how much propane it burned, but it was not that much... the tank is 10lbs and was used the same night to fire up the lil camp fire.... so, kind hard to gauge consumption.....

Venting was no issue at all... it was fng cold and windows were closed... with the combustion happening outside and away from the tent there is really no worries, but we did have a CO alarm

The other thing was that even with all windows closed there was no condensation build in the tent...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom