RTT with a (large) dog? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting older and really don't like camping on the ground anymore. We mostly take our Sprinter van for camping, but I was thinking of a RTT for the LX. That would allow us to explore some 4x4 and overlanding areas.

But, what do you do with a dog? We have a 85 lb puppy, so she'll top out at 100 lbs. No way is that thing climbing up a ladder. I figure she can stay in the back of the LX, but not sure if I'm missing some other option. She's still too young for us to know if she'd tolerate being by herself sleeping in the back of the LX or not.

Some people have a ramp up to the bumper / hood, then a yoga Mat across the hood to a tent window..

Our big dog just sleeps in the rig.

We have an “annex” room that attaches under our Free Spirit RTT. If you have the type of tent that cantilevers out over the side of the vehicle, these work great as a privacy room, or in our case, a nice secure place for our German Shepherd to sleep.

IMG_7576.jpeg

Our 90lb Husky sleeps in the truck while we are up top in the tent. We have a kennel that we keep in the back of the LX. Actually works well to pack around (and we used the space between it and the backseat for our house battery). We can stuff small items like hammocks or jackets in between the kennel and the side of the interior.

We adopted our pup right after getting an iKamper. At the time they had said he doesn't like being in a kennel, but we figured we would try it anyway. Turns out he makes himself right at home. The kennel is big enough for him to turn around in, and just fits in the back (think it was an "XL" size). Sometimes we will wake up to some gentle rocking as he stirs on the morning, if we oversleep past his usual breakfast :).

1690827519699.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom