Whew, Finished My Steering... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC_Hamma

The Anti-Leafer
Threads
Finally gettin so close to bein on the trails! Custom steering links are 1 1/2" O.D.
1/4" wall DOM. Using 3/4" Black Max heims from Summit with cutsie little bootie covers from Baker Precision. If yer wonderin about the tie rod being curved, I had to bend it around the pitman arm swing cuz I moved my front axle forward some. And, the stabilizer doesn't hit the drag link, but it's close & I may move it a little. So much for eyeballin it!

Last edited:
holy crap dude ... looks like a bit of work ya did... can you get a photo from further back so i can understand more its a bit confusing lol looks like you did some clean work though... the holloween theme is nice to

looks pretty good, is bending the only way to make the steering work.?

camcruiser13 said:
looks pretty good, is bending the only way to make the steering work.?

Yep, unless I go hydro & get rid of the links. Then, I'd have to wait for Marlin's new knuckles cuz I'm not taking any chances with those weak stock knuckles. That's 1/4" wall so I'm not at all worried about bending them on the trail. Whatcha callin it Haloween theme, it's "Sexual Chocolate". Nutha pic farther away:

Last edited:
Trevor said:
All that work, and you still have a leaky axle seal. :flipoff2:

Yeah, that's on the punch out list near the bottom. I don't think my Longs are centered in the housing. Will need to tear it down again & recheck.

What Steering Arms are you running?
Clean Design :beer:
manny

nothing against bending, my bros zuki has the same sort a thing. thick enough tubing no prob.
you got a panhard bar on there as well? you got a pic of the whole rig?

How many hours did you log on that?

-Just the steering links? I guess 4 or 5 hrs.

What Steering Arms are you running?

-Custom from Gordofab Engineering. Ex- Ga. Cruisers prez who does all my precision machining (mill/ lathe work).

you got a panhard bar on there as well?

-Panhard bar can be seen in all but the 1st pic.

you got a pic of the whole rig?

-I'll take some action shots soon, but here's an older pic - post #14 :
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=67567

would it not be prudent to add a piece so the drag link to tie rod attachment is in double shear ? Just to hold the top of bolt on the top side.

peesalot said:
would it not be prudent to add a piece so the drag link to tie rod attachment is in double shear ? Just to hold the top of bolt on the top side.

Yep, I did start making the pieces for that mount but I gotta stop the overkill somewhere.... I felt it was a sufficent connection with that bolt being threaded all the way thru the tube. Good observation though!

Cool.

Are your coils under or outside the frame rails ? Do you have a thread here somewhere with the front suspension revealed ?

thats a really bad place to stop the overkill IMO. The typical pitman arm connection ( using tapered joint) is not in double shear but on your own arm it is done so I just thought you got tired cause to leave that particular connection relying on that bolt is just not in keeping with the rest of your work.

@&@&@&@& that booty:D ;p

stephen said:
what gear box is that? nice job!!!! congratulations

AGR 3.5 to 1 turn 4 bolt mount box. Got it off Ebay. Supposed to fit mid 80's CJ's. Thanks for the boost of confidence. I guess next time I won't be so quick to think I'm done just so I can post some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom