Sloppy steering questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Without a lift you shouldn't need any added shims or wedges to correct anything. Back in 1983 I pulled a manual steering box off a wrecked 79 FJ40. Which is interesting because I only owned a 68 at the time. I have a couple other used steering boxes that were given to me when power steering was added. It's easy to tell which one is the one off the 79. It turns smooth as silk with no play. On the pre 9/73 steering boxes it was possible to move some shims to tighten the steering. Believe the newer boxes including mini truck require a rebuild to truly tighten up any play.

@Living in the Past I have been thinking of rebuilding that steering box. I believe mine is a mini truck one. It was in the 40 when I got it. I’ll have to delve into the search history when I start that. I remember seeing some how-tos in here.

It does look like you hubs haven't been rebuilt in quite some time. A few years ago when I rebuilt my hubs, there are some shims you can put in on the top and bottom of the hubs that would either make it easier or harder for the steering to turn the hubs. There's a spec it's supposed to be set to which doesn't come to mind right now, but maybe yours are pretty worn and allowing more slop than normal. Someone here will correct me because I'm not even sure this would cause the slop you're experiencing, but it could be worth a try.

1711042706662.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom