Where do we go from here? To replace my LX or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have 3 kids and 5'2" wife, I lifted the truck, and I took the steps off and still haven't put sliders with steps on...and its my wife's DD (I am truly diabolical). Watching a 2 yr old and 4 yr old climb into it on their own is like watching a professional rock climber, its truly incredible to watch. However my wife hates minivans (comes from a suburban/sequoia family) but not as much as she hates having a dorkel on her car and having people ask her about it. I still think the 100 (especially a good overland set up) is a fantastic minivan. The tailgate is the absolute best diaper changing station in the business. And there's nothing like a having a fridge in the back keeping a bottle or groceries cool and ready to go. I throw crap on the roof all the time: strollers, folding chairs, etc. throw a bungee strap on it or two if I'm not feeling like living dangerously. Also nothing like using the pressure tank to house off the rugrats before they get back in the car to flex on some loser dad at the park in a van.

Appreciate the comment. I bet whoever bought your E30 made bank on it. I see the most clapped out, half the floor missing, wheels barely attached automatic E30s being sold for $5k+ these days!

"don't spend money on new mods for it, but keep it running" --> that is the hardest part. You know I have a front locker on the shelf that is $2k in immediate update right there!

I can't street park 2 land cruisers in my neighborhood, so the nicer Cruiser will have to replace our daily driver, a 2012 Sienna. Having driven a couple of LX570 in last 6 months, I have convinced by wife that it would be good replacement for our Sienna when the time comes. But as @Kabanstva said Sienna is head and shoulders above for daily liveability over the same year LC/LX unless you live in a jungle.

All of the discussion in this thread has helped me clear my head. I will post a summary soon.

I can relate a lot. To me - old cars is a hobby, my DD is F80 M3 which costs more in depreciation only. So, also I HATE to see how much money I put into LX - I realize that it is still cheaper than some new cool car. I bought LX with idea of having it for 10 years. I need it for longer "man trips" (we have Ody as family/wife car).
I need it to potentially pull boat or trailer. To go places for hunting/fishing. But mostly it's a toy. Every single $ spent will be parts. All labor will be mine or I won't own this car. I am not paying to any shop or I buy new car.

In your case it sounds like you tired of 100 but you thinking about rust/body stuff. Noone here will tell you, but maybe you really just want something completely different? Once you "been there" with all of the 100 "stuff" - do you want to do it again? If you like me - you want new experiences.

I don't have any more space on parking. Technically I _could_ add cars but with teenage kids soon having their cars on parking it's just not cool. And, I hate to have stuff just sitting. Plus insurance. Plus Tax (in MO). So, it's 1 new reliable DD + one fun/hobby/spare car is my formula. Currently it's LX.

To summarize
- if it drives (and it does) and you need it (do you??) - then financially sound decision - keep it and use it. I would of course repair panels and got welder and took welding classes last year for that specific reason.
- if you tired of it - sell it at loss but don't think about it like this. Just think about experiences and fun during time you had it. Maybe those 15k over 3(or whatever) years is not a big deal really? Less than lease for small SUV.

I can relate a lot. To me - old cars is a hobby, my DD is F80 M3 which costs more in depreciation only. So, also I HATE to see how much money I put into LX - I realize that it is still cheaper than some new cool car. I bought LX with idea of having it for 10 years. I need it for longer "man trips" (we have Ody as family/wife car).
I need it to potentially pull boat or trailer. To go places for hunting/fishing. But mostly it's a toy. Every single $ spent will be parts. All labor will be mine or I won't own this car. I am not paying to any shop or I buy new car.

In your case it sounds like you tired of 100 but you thinking about rust/body stuff. No one here will tell you, but maybe you really just want something completely different? Once you "been there" with all of the 100 "stuff" - do you want to do it again? If you like me - you want new experiences.

I don't have any more space on parking. Technically I _could_ add cars but with teenage kids soon having their cars on parking it's just not cool. And, I hate to have stuff just sitting. Plus insurance. Plus Tax (in MO). So, it's 1 new reliable DD + one fun/hobby/spare car is my formula. Currently it's LX.

To summarize
- if it drives (and it does) and you need it (do you??) - then financially sound decision - keep it and use it. I would of course repair panels and got welder and took welding classes last year for that specific reason.
- if you tired of it - sell it at loss but don't think about it like this. Just think about experiences and fun during time you had it. Maybe those 15k over 3(or whatever) years is not a big deal really? Less than lease for small SUV.
Not really tired of it. I have the old car disease too and the only question here is would a rust free replacement be a good option rather than spending more on it. Because rust has the nasty habit of putting an otherwise great car into the junkyard!

I can't street park 2 land cruisers in my neighborhood, so the nicer Cruiser will have to replace our daily driver, a 2012 Sienna. Having driven a couple of LX570 in last 6 months, I have convinced by wife that it would be good replacement for our Sienna when the time comes. But as @Kabanstva said Sienna is head and shoulders above for daily liveability over the same year LC/LX unless you live in a jungle.

It pains me to say this but for your average family hauler, a Sienna makes way more sense than a LC. With 2 kids, a 100/200 work fine, but with a third kid the access to the third row gets complicated. That's where the minivans shine, not to mention they are comfortable, relatively fast, economical, come in AWD, and have push button everything. With that being said, you are a better man than me as I could never drive one.

200 won't fit the bill either but that is the closest I got to rationalize purchasing another cruiser :p

Have the wife drive one if she hasn't already. My wife was unsold on a 200 until she drove one. She doesn't really get excited about cars but LOVES her 200, especially when hauling the kids around. She hardly misses 'her' G63 but will take it every now and then to run errands by herself. We have 2 very young kids = 2 car seats and the 200 is great for that. 3 in carseats would be tough, but doable if one is in a booster in the middle. We also use it for towing stuff with the whole family (Sienna cant do that) and light-moderate off roading. Its bone stock and actually incredibly capable as is. I'll probably put on some AT tires when the stock ones wear out but otherwise no mods are planned. The cooled center console is also life changing, especially when you are trying to keep the kids milk/snacks fresh. I've said this before, if I could own only 1 vehicle, it would be a 200. If I could only own one Landcruiser, it would still be a 200.

@gregnash gave some good advice about body work. If you get a nice multiprocess inverter welder (Miller Multimatic 220), it is compact and gives you AC/DC Mig and Tig. Welding (especially MIG) is pretty easy to teach yourself. For bodywork, it doesnt have to look good because you are going to grind it flat anyway. I understand about the lack of time. My wife and I both have our 'craft' time when the kids go to bed. Me in the garage and she's on her sewing machine or baking/crafting...but 20-30 min here and there over a few weeks is all you need to weld good enough for some basic body work. Its fun to develop a new skillset and pick up more tools too!

I previously mentioned to keep the 100 and buy a 200. This post is just reinforcement of that!

It pains me to say this but for your average family hauler, a Sienna makes way more sense than a LC. With 2 kids, a 100/200 work fine, but with a third kid the access to the third row gets complicated. That's where the minivans shine, not to mention they are comfortable, relatively fast, economical, come in AWD, and have push button everything. With that being said, you are a better man than me as I could never drive one.

Have the wife drive one if she hasn't already. My wife was unsold on a 200 until she drove one. She doesn't really get excited about cars but LOVES her 200, especially when hauling the kids around. She hardly misses 'her' G63 but will take it every now and then to run errands by herself. We have 2 very young kids = 2 car seats and the 200 is great for that. 3 in carseats would be tough, but doable if one is in a booster in the middle. We also use it for towing stuff with the whole family (Sienna cant do that) and light-moderate off roading. Its bone stock and actually incredibly capable as is. I'll probably put on some AT tires when the stock ones wear out but otherwise no mods are planned. The cooled center console is also life changing, especially when you are trying to keep the kids milk/snacks fresh. I've said this before, if I could own only 1 vehicle, it would be a 200. If I could only own one Landcruiser, it would still be a 200.

@gregnash gave some good advice about body work. If you get a nice multiprocess inverter welder (Miller Multimatic 220), it is compact and gives you AC/DC Mig and Tig. Welding (especially MIG) is pretty easy to teach yourself. For bodywork, it doesnt have to look good because you are going to grind it flat anyway. I understand about the lack of time. My wife and I both have our 'craft' time when the kids go to bed. Me in the garage and she's on her sewing machine or baking/crafting...but 20-30 min here and there over a few weeks is all you need to weld good enough for some basic body work. Its fun to develop a new skillset and pick up more tools too!

I previously mentioned to keep the 100 and buy a 200. This post is just reinforcement of that!
I have 1 in an infant rear-facing and two in regular forward facing car seats and they fit just fine, no need for the third row. Even with all three seats in the same row I can reach my arm in between all the seats. Also its easier on trips to hand them things like drinks and food than when one of them is way in the back. When someone comes to town and need another spot I put the passenger side 3 row half down only, since its easiest to get to, and put the older kid back there, and preserves the cargo room.

Edit for clarification:

100s and 200s just *feel* so totally different to me - more a generational revolution than an evolution. Smaller/older/bubble era/analog vs bigger/generationally newer/techier. To me that would be like cross shopping an E46M3 vs F8xM4, or perhaps a C6 vs C8 Corvette. Nothing wrong with either, but they seem different enough that I am surprised many people cross shop the two. Like I said, it could be just me.

I understand. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. My first M3 was an E46, then I went to an E90, and also spent a lot of track time in an F8x. E46 to E90 was not dramatic, neither was E90 to F80, but going from an E46 to F80 would be.

To me, a 200 feels like an updated version of my 100. If any, going from the 80 series to 100 series was the revolution...but the 200 is more complex (electronically) and slightly larger than a 100. I still love my 100 and plan on keeping it forever. At the end of the day, if it makes you happy and you enjoy it, there is NO wrong vehicle.

Awful lot of discussion about a mini van. So sell 100 or part it out here on mud.
Seen this, maybe it fits the bill better. Slip a diesel in there and your In. Less than a 200, And dang cool man.
Personally my 100 is built, my family hauler and payment free. Heck I even use it enough for work that I don’t pay for fuel, at all.
A 200 some day.... yet I hate to admit it, a 4x4 mini van would really be a sweet spot for some guys. A Toyota ofcourse.

724177F1-80E8-456D-AE70-69B0E1BF87CB.jpeg

@ClassyJalopy we have a 2015 Sienna XLE and I completely agree. But I like the '01 LX more anyway.

You spent $20k to make your $2500 truck worth $4k? :oops:

Definition of a Land Cruiser owner. Plug any numbers in there.

Sorry I can't help. For me I'd keep it. But that's based on my situation and mistakes I've made chasing the "better" rig. Had a beautiful 2006, lusted after a 200, didn't need it. Granted it's heads and tails better for our use, the 5.7 is a dream on our road trips and wheels just fine. But financially just added debt.

You can replace these things? o_O

So there is a new twist in this saga! My buddy and an absolutely amazing person @ogsuv spotted an LX sitting at a shop for months without moving - he thought it would be a great candidate for me to take parts from. He reached out to the shop and negotiated a great deal for me and as of this weekend - I am officially owner of a parts rig!!
This is a one owner 02 LX with about 200K miles and almost zero maintenance records (nothing on Lexus site, nothing on Carfax besides registration renewals!) Underside is CRUNCHY, there is no sticker for timing belt job ever, battery is dead, tires are flat and the brake booster/motor has failed (announced by a loud buzz and lack of brakes altogether!)
20200711_182253.jpg
20200711_182300.jpg
20200711_182317.jpg
20200711_182333.jpg
20200711_182342.jpg

o man, that interior is fantastic. Worth it right there....you dont need that steering wheel do you....O and hey a rear wind deflector....

Remember when I said, I can't street park two Cruisers? Yeah well, I am parking our family Sienna on the driveway and putting this rotting carcass in the garage. My wife has given me a one month pass for this! I clearly married up :grinpimp:

Already pulled the two rear doors and swapped them over to my truck. and then installed the slightly crunched up ones back onto the parts rig! A whole afternoon of sweaty work!

o man, that interior is fantastic. Worth it right there....you dont need that steering wheel do you....O and hey a rear wind deflector....
Please email me at Classy.Jalopy@gmail.com for part requests - I will be slow to respond and won't know for sure what I am keeping for at least 2-3 weeks.

PM me for parts. I am definitely keeping a large number of parts for myself but will be selling a fair bit to cover my expenses, and off set the cost of my main truck.

Last edited:
Wow, that interior is in crazy good shape, surprising considering how neglectful its previous owner was. Glad to see that it worked out this way for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom