Where do we go from here? To replace my LX or not? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

o man, that interior is fantastic. Worth it right there....you dont need that steering wheel do you....O and hey a rear wind deflector....
Got to the steering wheel before me, but that shifter knob is looking fly

And the driver window switches...

o man, that interior is fantastic. Worth it right there....you dont need that steering wheel do you....O and hey a rear wind deflector....
Got to the steering wheel before me, but that shifter knob is looking fly

And the driver window switches...

Please email me at Classy.Jalopy@gmail.com for parts. Let's keep this thread clear of parts requests and stuff. Otherwise we might get moved to classifieds or even chit-chat. I am hoping to use this thread to document my progress and get everyone's feedback and thoughts.

So there is a new twist in this saga! My buddy and an absolutely amazing person @ogsuv spotted an LX sitting at a shop for months without moving - he thought it would be a great candidate for me to take parts from. He reached out to the shop and negotiated a great deal for me and as of this weekend - I am officially owner of a parts rig!!
This is a one owner 02 LX with about 200K miles and almost zero maintenance records (nothing on Lexus site, nothing on Carfax besides registration renewals!) Underside is CRUNCHY, there is no sticker for timing belt job ever, battery is dead, tires are flat and the brake booster/motor has failed (announced by a loud buzz and lack of brakes altogether!)
View attachment 2370412View attachment 2370413View attachment 2370414View attachment 2370415View attachment 2370416
Remember when I said, I can't street park two Cruisers? Yeah well, I am parking our family Sienna on the driveway and putting this rotting carcass in the garage. My wife has given me a one month pass for this! I clearly married up :grinpimp:

Already pulled the two rear doors and swapped them over to my truck. and then installed the slightly crunched up ones back onto the parts rig! A whole afternoon of sweaty work!

Now that you've got her to accept the idea of a "temporary parts car", the next step is a "running driving parts car", then a "nice" 100 series to go with the off-road 100 series is a breeze :)

(This is not a Highlander, you can have more than one!)

Now that you've got her to accept the idea of a "temporary parts car", the next step is a "running driving parts car", then a "nice" 100 series to go with the off-road 100 series is a breeze :)

(This is not a Highlander, you can have more than one!)
I had a secret plan to find a used brake/booster assembly and throw in a cheap battery and surprise her with a working truck. But the underside is an abomination so perhaps not!
20200711_181805.jpg
20200711_181811.jpg
20200711_181909.jpg
20200711_181935.jpg

Wire wheel and goggles, then go get it oil sprayed with Krown. It will look excellent and rust will halt.

Theoretically you could replace all the rusted removeable parts with ones from rust free AZ/TX/CA vehicles and then you just have to deal with the frame and body mount areas. More $$ but youd have a clean truck....

(Admittedly from a guy that lives in one of those "rust free zones")

"But honey, I built it just for you!"
"I had to install the lift, because the original springs and shocks were rusted!"
"You wouldn't want our kids to be running around in one of those unsafe minivans!"
"Look at all the money I saved!"

(Admittedly from a guy that lives in one of those "rust free zones")

"But honey, I built it just for you!"
"I had to install the lift, because the original springs and shocks were rusted!"
"You wouldn't want our kids to be running around in one of those unsafe minivans!"
"Look at all the money I saved!"

How comfy are these trucks to sleep in? Just in case the proverbial excrements find themselves occupying the same physical space as a large capacity fan?

That looks like a very nice truck body & interior! Can you title it or is it parts only?

I'd be tempted to strip the body off yours, make the frame and running gear all pretty, swap that body onto it, then retrofit your goodies.

How comfy are these trucks to sleep in? Just in case the proverbial excrements find themselves occupying the same physical space as a large capacity fan?

With the proper preparation, they can be pretty comfortable, if the excrement makes physical contact with the oscillating air current device.

That looks like a very nice truck body & interior! Can you title it or is it parts only?

I'd be tempted to strip the body off yours, make the frame and running gear all pretty, swap that body onto it, then retrofit your goodies.
I got a clear title (from the only owner this truck ever had!) I wish I had access to a shop to do body transplant! I am planning on swapping the doors, seats and other bits and then have a body shop cut the rear quarters and weld them on to mine, before sending the rest to the local recycler.

I suspect a body swap could be cheaper than cutting/welding/painting quarter panels. You'd know the relative condition of the rigs better than anyone here, but if you can title under the new rig then it may be worth getting quotes both ways.

Don't send those beautiful glass lights to the recycler either!

Finished stripping the rear of the interior and found one rust spot - the driver's side third row seat belt was attached to vaporware o_O .
The rest looks pretty good.

20200714_122054.jpg

20200714_125505.jpg

find an old chinook camper and chop the roof of the LX and drop the camper on

if you can afford a new 200...you could afford to do that :flipoff2:
I'd much rather pay someone to do that. I just don't have time for a major project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom