Where do we go from here? To replace my LX or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ya man, Easy peasy- This is so easy, that’s why they are so common to see.
Seriously tho, You are in it deep- at this point I would give it some thought. Aluminum flat bed, How awesome would it be!

571422B2-EB08-4A9E-93F4-58A4D6A8FDDE.jpeg

8706E7E0-24C3-47DA-8583-A5BFC5003487.jpeg

Dropped it off to a local body shop to cut off lower parts of the quarter panels and weld new metal in. At this rate, a 200 series would be cheaper!

Rust on the right side quarter panel behind the bumper:
Right Rear.jpeg

Believe it or not, LX has been the neediest thing I have ever been in the ownership of. That includes several old BMWs, and GM cars!

Bodyshop sent some pics:

IMG_20200929_161220509.jpg

IMG_20200929_161227255.jpg

IMG_20200929_165032284.jpg

IMG_20200929_180626678.jpg

IMG_20200929_180837956.jpg

This thread is to explore and document my journey for a replacement for my truck. It is bit of soul searching with the help of collective madness of this forum.
At this point I have spent a little over $20,000 including purchase price, fixing issues, PM and upgrades. It is finally at a point where it is dead reliable (we just returned from a 1000 miles trip in 90 degrees heat and loaded to the gills!)!

So why am I thinking about a replacement? Well - I have a new front locker sitting on the shelf and I am wondering if it is time to build up a new truck with the locker etc instead of spending money on fixing issues on this rusty truck. The basic question I am asking is: do I spend $5k on this truck and keep driving a beat up $25K truck? Or do I buy a nicer example and spend additional $10-$15K and driver around in a nicer $25k truck?

What I love about it:
  • Very reliable
  • Goes pretty much anywhere I point it - except big rocks!
  • Smooth and quiet ride on highway
  • Rough on the outside so I don't mind when I scratch it some!
  • Paid off
  • Frame is largely rust free - still has some spots that will need to be addressed
What is not so hot:
  • Body rust: I have spent about $2000 fixing body rust issues so far. Rear quarter panels are the biggest issue - some rust on the rocker panels too. I think it will take another $2k to $3k for the remaining issues
  • Frame rust: There are still some spots that need addressing (hard to picture but most cross members have surface rust)
  • Hard to work under the truck since pretty much every bolt is rust-welded.
  • Body panels are beat up! I have slowly learned how to avoid body damage while wheeling but the damage caused so far is pretty significant
  • Still needs a few mechanical items: such as front LCA bushings, Front Diff bushings, replace leaky steering rack etc.
  • Exhaust is original and is probably on its last legs - definitely has surface rust
View attachment 2363914View attachment 2363918View attachment 2363919View attachment 2363920

View attachment 2363921
upgrade to a new LC

She was "borrowed" indefinitely by my younger brother and now lives in NC.
Pic hours before the departure!
20210421_132630.jpg

Aah - that one went to a crusher last year. I swapped out most of the interior, seats and doors from the parts truck into my Golden. Also, sold a few parts here on the forum and then sold the engine/transmisson locally.
I still have the transfer case in case someone is interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom