When to replace Ignition coils. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fact of the matter is that more $$ does NOT make something better, and they call the Dealership the "Stealership" for a reason.

Umm.....this is open to interpretation and alot of opinion.

I can assure a set of 8 Denso coils cost more than $100 to $150. Don't buy those cheap ones, they are bootleg junk. Some are so hard to tell if bootleg, they look 99.99% like the real thing! They will causes you problems.

Best price I see right now is ~$55 each, before tax & shipping for Denso. 8 X $55 = $440.

I can assure a set of 8 Denso coils cost more than $100 to $150. Don't buy those cheap ones, they are bootleg junk. Some are so hard to tell if bootleg, they look 99.99% like the real thing! They will causes you problems.

Best price I see right now is ~$55 each, before tax & shipping for Denso. 8 X $55 = $440.

where?

I just received a package of 8 'Genuine OEM' Denso coils from EBay. I was so excited. Only spent $135 on them, a US seller.

When I got was a box with individually bubble-wrapped coils. I inspected the coils - turned out to be very good counterfeits. The plastic did not feel right. It does not look like normal Denso quality. The plugs do not have the Denso part number sticker on top.

I asked for a refund. And the seller kept trying to get me to 'just install them, - it has the part number right on the coil, it was just a bulk package so it does not have a Denso blue box, etc.' I told him they were counterfeits - give me my money back. His responses were mistyped and had spelling errors.

I am getting my refund. Just be aware. These fakes are really convincing.

20200119_090607.jpg

20200119_090717.jpg

20200119_090725.jpg

20200119_090733.jpg

jegs.com Once, one of my client found a coupon and got 6 for $35 each from jegs. I get small veterans/military discount. They also give discounts for order size, next at $500. Also sign up with email and they send a discount for first time clients.

The Denso coil have the Toyota name ground off. They come in a blur box and have a sticker on top. That if pealed off, have different number under it. Nobody seem to know what that second numbers is. Denso show 1 PN # for all 100 series; Denso 313-673-1303. Possible made for non 100 series Toyota application. Toyota give permission to resell, but not with the Toyota name, or so Denso told me.

Are they the same as Toyota Dens; perhaps yes perhaps not. But, it is what Denso list on their web page and they work good.

The Toyota parts department has at least two different PN's for the 100 series.

Last edited:
After a recent hunt for 'which one is the failing coil' without a CEL, I learned two things.
  1. Don't assume the failing coil is the one with the lengthwise crack in it. I had 3 coils with cracks, all of them turned out to be fine. The one that had failed looked pristine (and the spark plug too).
Hope this helps someone one day.

I'm curious about this. I replaced my spark plugs and valve cover gaskets and realized that all 8 coils have lengthwise cracks. Some worse than others. I don't know if I should worry about them or not. 2000 LX with 230k and it runs great.

I'm curious about this. I replaced my spark plugs and valve cover gaskets and realized that all 8 coils have lengthwise cracks. Some worse than others. I don't know if I should worry about them or not. 2000 LX with 230k and it runs great.

I carry 2 in my car and change them when they go.

I had a coil go bad at about 140K, had the shop replace just the one, over the next 10-20K another one or two went bad so just replaced the other 7 at the recommendation of the shop. They used s*** coils, had someone replace the #2 and #4 ones with Denso, got a fault code about 5K later.

So in trying to research the issue, turns out the valve cover gaskets (really the spark plug cylinder tube seals were leaking and causing the problem). So replaced the valve cover gaskets/tube seals, all the spark plugs (turns out some other a-hole mechanic I paid for a quality job didn't even use the right ones), and coils. Denso from rock auto. They ought to be about $55-$65 each. Definitely don't try and save a few bucks on them, they won't last.

Why the hell would I pay someone else to replace ignition coils and spark plugs you might ask?? This was before I found mud, I'm much more smarter now.

I had a coil go bad at about 140K, had the shop replace just the one, over the next 10-20K another one or two went bad so just replaced the other 7 at the recommendation of the shop. They used s*** coils, had someone replace the #2 and #4 ones with Denso, got a fault code about 5K later.

So in trying to research the issue, turns out the valve cover gaskets (really the spark plug cylinder tube seals were leaking and causing the problem). So replaced the valve cover gaskets/tube seals, all the spark plugs (turns out some other a-hole mechanic I paid for a quality job didn't even use the right ones), and coils. Denso from rock auto. They ought to be about $55-$65 each. Definitely don't try and save a few bucks on them, they won't last.

Why the hell would I pay someone else to replace ignition coils and spark plugs you might ask?? This was before I found mud, I'm much more smarter now.

"more smarter":rofl:

just playing with you

I love threads like this, and I am reading my way though it (currently on page 8). I don't understand why I wouldn't just replace all eight coil packs at once with new Denso/ OEM ones?

It's my personal experience that if the local auto parts shop and/or dealership sells one coil for $100 or $150... then odds are I can buy all 8 new, OEM online for about less than the cost of just one locally...

If I can get 8 new Denso coil packs in New Toyota branded packaging for about $100 - $125 with free shipping, then it doesn't really make sense to me to buy them individually?
Toyota part number: 90919-02230

So I am 100% in the buy all 8 and replace them as a set.

My truck has about 260k miles on it, and I am ordering and replacing the coil packs now as preventive maintenance as I try to improve my MPGs.

I was searching for coils for my RX300 last week on the internet - a wide search on the internet turned up several Chinese manufactures with listings on Alibaba (if I remember correctly) that offer coil packs for the RX - they also show on their website the available packaging and marking options - you can get them Stamped and Boxed to look exactly like Toyota, Denso, NGK, etc... markings and boxes so long as you buy a sufficient quantity. The same situation would appear to extend to Spark plugs, bearings, etc...

The old saying "if it seems to good to be true..." applies. Ebay and apparently amazon both seem to offer more counterfeit options than real ones.

I ended up using a 25% off deal at Advance Auto, and went with the Denso coils for my RX

I was searching for coils for my RX300 last week on the internet - a wide search on the internet turned up several Chinese manufactures with listings on Alibaba (if I remember correctly) that offer coil packs for the RX - they also show on their website the available packaging and marking options - you can get them Stamped and Boxed to look exactly like Toyota, Denso, NGK, etc... markings and boxes so long as you buy a sufficient quantity. The same situation would appear to extend to Spark plugs, bearings, etc...

The old saying "if it seems to good to be true..." applies. Ebay and apparently amazon both seem to offer more counterfeit options than real ones.

I ended up using a 25% off deal at Advance Auto, and went with the Denso coils for my RX
So who can we trust for genuine parts besides the dealer?

There are multiple options for parts that I have found that are either genuine Toyota, or equivalent to OEM (i.e. - Denso, Koyo, etc.) and usually are less expensive than the local dealer:

Bearings, Drivetrain, & suspension parts - Plus easy to order a complete kit of items needed for a job and also free advise:
Cruiser Outfitters

Filters, belts, pulleys, brakes and misc. parts:

There are a nunber of toyota dealers that sell on eBay that are normally less expensive than local: norwalktoyotaparts, belllexusnorthscottsdale, elmhursttoyotaparts, westboro_toyota, daytonatoyota, to name a few, that you can trust to be 100% genuine

Also check PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World (they also have some parts on ebay) A toyota/Lexus Dealer in the UAE - 2-4 day shipping to the US, and even including the shipping cost, they are often less expensive than any US based source I have found.

Plugs, Coils, O2 sensors (denso)

Advance Auto - order online and pick up in store - there always seems to be a 20-25% online deal

This is just my go-to list, I'm sure that there are other good options out there that I have overlooked. Also I do source some parts at the local dealer - they are sometimes willing to match other online prices for larger items, just have to ask...

Advance Auto - order online and pick up in store - there always seems to be a 20-25% online deal

This is just my go-to list, I'm sure that there are other good options out there that I have overlooked. Also I do source some parts at the local dealer - they are sometimes willing to match other online prices for larger items, just have to ask...

Dumb question, cost of Denso Iridium plugs is like ~$9/ea. on most of my LAPS (NAPA, O'Reilly's, Vatozone) but about half that on RockAuto.com (~$5/ea.)... Anyone order the Denso stuff from them and get fake/counterfeit?

I bought two to keep as spares from Amazon for $126.38. These have the Denso testing lot numbers and other markings that come with authentic Denso products. I will make pictures and post tomorrow.

I bought two to keep as spares from Amazon for $126.38. These have the Denso testing lot numbers and other markings that come with authentic Denso products. I will make pictures and post tomorrow.
I, too keep to spares AND Denso Power plugs- and my ODB- just in case. That said, I ALWAYS replace them in pairs now. Before I would JUST replace the coil and it'd fail again sooner or later. When i replaced them in pairs (new coil and plug) have not had one fail since.

There are multiple options for parts that I have found that are either genuine Toyota, or equivalent to OEM (i.e. - Denso, Koyo, etc.) and usually are less expensive than the local dealer:

Bearings, Drivetrain, & suspension parts - Plus easy to order a complete kit of items needed for a job and also free advise:
Cruiser Outfitters

Filters, belts, pulleys, brakes and misc. parts:

There are a nunber of toyota dealers that sell on eBay that are normally less expensive than local: norwalktoyotaparts, belllexusnorthscottsdale, elmhursttoyotaparts, westboro_toyota, daytonatoyota, to name a few, that you can trust to be 100% genuine

Also check PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World (they also have some parts on ebay) A toyota/Lexus Dealer in the UAE - 2-4 day shipping to the US, and even including the shipping cost, they are often less expensive than any US based source I have found.

Thanks for that. LHM American Toyota here always gives a 25% Mud discount, but even at that PartSouq is a better deal on coils. Mostly I'd like to feel confident of reliable Denso suppliers that might be a little cheaper than OEM. I ordered Denso plugs for my LX and my Prius from two different Amazon sellers and deliberately stayed away from the cheapest plugs. One was genuine and one was not; it was good to have them side by side or I may not have realized it.

The following videos made a believer out of me about running aftermarket coils.

NOTE: Postings following these videos indicate this can happen to Toyota. These videos go into detail about the "havoc" that can be brought to your cars ignition and fuel delivery system when you aren't using Denso, Aisin, Aisan, and NGK parts that are from reputable sources.

Like Toyota, Nissans are extremely picky, about OEM ignition components.

Another mention from the video that I've learned through the years is a healthy charging system (e.g. battery and alternator) help keep the ignition system happy and performing optimally. Its all connected..

Part 1.

Part 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom