Wheels - what would you do. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

acjb

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a set of chrome wheels like came on the 60 series. I dont think the chrome looks that good on the 40. I would love a set of originals with the caps but have not had any luck finding a set and new is just really hard to justify the cost. So would you pait the chrome ones white or leave them chrome. I just think the white would look much better. Opinions please...

I agree with you...I don't favor the chrome look on a 40. I would paint them white or the original grey...but it also depends on the body color. They might look good in black.
You probably want to remove all of the chrome before you paint...not sure what the best method for that is, acid bath? then sandblast and powder coat?
You can spend a lot of $$$ just taking tires off and putting them back on again. I imagine that you only want to do that ONCE!
Good luck in your project.

Post some pics...before and after!

Sand blasted and painted the correct color of white look like this: *Actually, these are the correct white wheels, but are identical to the chrome ones.
1980.jpg

You will have to blast all the chrome off, then prime and paint them. You can't even rough up chrome and get paint to stick permanently.......

Post in the classified for a swap-out.................

I'd go with semi gloss black - just like the look!

white spokes

These white spokes can be ordered in the original backspacing too

about 40-50 each from summit racing

just an option
usw-70-585_m.jpg

Thanks for the replies. It will be either original steelies or white with olive brown truck. I think the white will just look more correct with the white top. Of course those steelies do look reallllly good with some meat on them. The wagon wheels just don't do it for me....I really like the original pattern of the spokes on the 60 wheels better. Can you blast chrome off with a sandblaster?

i am putting MT classic locks on mine. its a polished wheel. but on certain colors i like different wheel styles/colors. but wagon wheels with some meat on em look sick.

when you decide on tires look at onlinetires.com they have 35/12.50/15 BFG KM2's for 166/piece then you can have a local shop price match. so search your tires you want on their and see what kind of deal they have for you.

edit: i just looked they went down to $157 a piece now.

I have a set of chrome wheels like came on the 60 series. I dont think the chrome looks that good on the 40. I would love a set of originals with the caps but have not had any luck finding a set and new is just really hard to justify the cost. So would you pait the chrome ones white or leave them chrome. I just think the white would look much better. Opinions please...

I've got a set of oem steel wheels off a 75 I'll be glad to get rid of. I don't have the hub caps but they do have the little tabs for the caps. What year is your 40? I know they won't fit on disc brake models. Right now they are on the truck but I can get them off and sand blast them for you, if you are interested. PM me if you are.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom