Wheels that work, part numbers (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wanted TRD Pro wheels ever since I saw them on @torfab ‘s 62— it’s the only 60 series I’ve seen with them. I pestered him about fit and learned he runs the Tundra brake upgrade and an 80 axle in rear so he’s got extra clearance. I knew most 4runner wheels don’t fit without spacers on stock 60 axles so thought I was SOL.

I’ve read this thread several times and looked at wheel options for probably 2 years. I wanted something modern, understated, not 16”, suitable for a pizza cutter tire, and that allowed for a wide tire selection for the forseable future.
I didn’t want 16” because I swore off E load tires after they ruined the ride on my Discovery 1 I owned several years ago and there are little to no options for a 16”/non-E.

After market wheels that would tuck in the fender, were alloy, would fit without spacers, weren’t black, and didn’t have fake beadlocks/rivets were non-existent at this point except for the FN Wheels Countersteer Type X. They’re featured earlier in this thread and were my realistic choice. For some reason, I didn’t 100% love them though. Also, they recommend machining the hub bore so more $$.

Then I realized the TRD Pro wheels’ specs weren’t that different from the Countersteer. 17x7” (fine width for my goals) and offset of +5mm/4.2” backspace. Regular 4Runner wheels are more like +20mm/4.5” backspace. So I went on a quest to test fit them and managed to get in touch with a willing local TRD pro owner. The test fit was a success despite 15 degree weather! However, I didn’t want to torque lug nuts on his wheel or put weight on it just in case.

Then I ordered my own single wheel and fit one of the tires I had scored. They are brand new BFG MT takeoffs from a Jeep JK Rubicon. All 5 for $350. Tested it out and even drove it around the neighborhood like a doofus to make sure the tie rod didn’t hit. After seeing so many issues on this thread I was really, probably overly, cautious.

Great news! Got the remaining wheels in Wednesday night and had everything mounted up tonight. Might run the rear cap-less, don’t love the red TRD. They fit perfect and drive great! If Toyota remade the 60 today this is how it should come from the factory.

Wheels: OEM TRD Pro 4Runner wheels, PTR20-35110-GR (also available in black)
Lug nuts: OEM 4runner/Tacoma, 90084-94002
Tire size: 255/75r17, ~32.1x10.0”
Spacers or other wheel modifications: none
Lift: good condition stock springs with Old Man Emu greasable shackles

First test fit (remember to paint your 555 TREs before installing :rolleyes:)
View attachment 1905523View attachment 1905524
Second test
View attachment 1905525
Final product!
View attachment 1905526View attachment 1905527

are these same as what you have?

Backspacing needs to be -3.5 inches but sometimes up to -3.75 works. The center bore needs to be (correct me if I am wrong 106mm+. I am running these wheels and they work/look great. KMC-Turbine 15 I went with 15" because I wanted to maintain the factory size and ride. I have been told the bigger the wheel the more you feel as there is less air space. These wheels clear the TREs but it is EXTREMELY close....been running them about a year and a half, no issues, but if I can find a good steel 1/8 or 1/4 spacer i would run it.
@83Landy Yes the backspace is measured from the back of where the hub face is touching the center of the wheel to the back or inside edge of the rim.....no tire installed. laying it flat on the floor helps to measure this, thru the center bore.

no, that specific SKU is for a 17" wheel— you need something like this one if you want to keep your tires
U.S. Wheel 046-5760GM - U.S. Wheel 046 Series Stealth Crawler Lockring Style Gunmetal Wheels
I dnt think my 12.5" tires will fit on 7" rims....but im barely garasping any of this tire sizing business but according this Wild Peak chart it states 12.5 wide tires shld be on larger rims....

Or am I more lost than i believe i am??

Screenshot_20210520-060440~2.png

I dnt think my 12.5" tires will fit on 7" rims....but im barely garasping any of this tire sizing business but according this Wild Peak chart it states 12.5 wide tires shld be on larger rims....

Or am I more lost than i believe i am??

View attachment 2679095
You can't put 15" diameter tires on any rim other than 15".

I put 17"x 7.5" FJ Cruiser wheels on but with 33x12 (295/70r17) tires they need 1.25" spacers or they will rub on leaf springs and inner fenders. I still get a little rub on the front fender welt occasionally on the trail.
For most, narrower tires are best. I negotiate a lot of dry blow-sand.

I put 17"x 7.5" FJ Cruiser wheels on but with 33x12 (295/70r17) tires they need 1.25" spacers or they will rub on leaf springs and inner fenders. I still get a little rub on the front fender welt occasionally on the trail.
I mistyped...my wheels are 12 5"

Tires: 33x12.5R15

Youre confusing me furthrr....lol. I need 15x 8.5-10" wheels

Youre confusing me furthrr....lol. I need 15x 8.5-10" wheels
Unless you want a better tire selection. 15 inch diameter wheels only give you a few choices in tires. 16-17 inch wheels allow for brake upgrades and many more tire choices. It is still not easy finding wheels that fit without spacers and look right.

:cheers:New to the group. Thanks for all of the info. I would be lost without this thread. (well I would be more lost, without this thread;)o_O

Current Wheel and Tire configuration = unsure of the wheel brand, but may be stock painted flat black. I know they are only 6" wide. Tires are 33x10.5r15 KOs. Apparently they should never go on that width of a wheel, but the previous owner made it work. The wear on the tires is indicating that the mismatch is causing extra stress on the sidewall and I've had one blowout at low speeds, with the other tires showing signs of cracking. So its time for a switch. (I like the look I had, but I keep reading that switching to a 17" wheel can really pay off in the long run for future mods and break set ups.)??

Wanting to run the Black Rhino Warlord 17x9 with -12mm offset. This gives a 4.5 backspacing, but on a 17" wheel I'm hoping I may be good. (cruiser has a small lift, I believe 1"-2")
I'm wanting to wrap them in either the 285x75r17 or the 285x70r17 KO2s.

I'm looking at the -12mm offset to try to give me more clearance on the backspacing, however I'm a little worried about how far past flush that will put my tires compared to the body.

Does anyone know what the specs where for the tire's outer wall compared to the body when stock, and what I might be looking at, if these go on?

I'm not afraid for them to be a little proud, but the look I'm going for would be thrown off if it makes it look like a swamp crawler. I'll post pics of the wheels and tires I'm looking at as well as a pick of the day I picked the cruiser up. For reference though, the pic of the cruiser is with it strapped down to the trailer, so it's squatting pretty good in the pic.

If anyone has a similar set up I'd really appreciate a profile view to see how far the tires come out from the body.
IMG_3430.JPG
Tire size 285-75.PNG
Tire size 285 - 70.PNG
warlords on jeep.PNG
Blakc Rhino Warlord wheels.PNG

:cheers:New to the group. Thanks for all of the info. I would be lost without this thread. (well I would be more lost, without this thread;)o_O

Current Wheel and Tire configuration = unsure of the wheel brand, but may be stock painted flat black. I know they are only 6" wide. Tires are 33x10.5r15 KOs. Apparently they should never go on that width of a wheel, but the previous owner made it work. The wear on the tires is indicating that the mismatch is causing extra stress on the sidewall and I've had one blowout at low speeds, with the other tires showing signs of cracking. So its time for a switch. (I like the look I had, but I keep reading that switching to a 17" wheel can really pay off in the long run for future mods and break set ups.)??

Wanting to run the Black Rhino Warlord 17x9 with -12mm offset. This gives a 4.5 backspacing, but on a 17" wheel I'm hoping I may be good. (cruiser has a small lift, I believe 1"-2")
I'm wanting to wrap them in either the 285x75r17 or the 285x70r17 KO2s.

I'm looking at the -12mm offset to try to give me more clearance on the backspacing, however I'm a little worried about how far past flush that will put my tires compared to the body.

Does anyone know what the specs where for the tire's outer wall compared to the body when stock, and what I might be looking at, if these go on?

I'm not afraid for them to be a little proud, but the look I'm going for would be thrown off if it makes it look like a swamp crawler. I'll post pics of the wheels and tires I'm looking at as well as a pick of the day I picked the cruiser up. For reference though, the pic of the cruiser is with it strapped down to the trailer, so it's squatting pretty good in the pic.

If anyone has a similar set up I'd really appreciate a profile view to see how far the tires come out from the body.
View attachment 2680188
Those look like 40series wheels or some other steely, hard to tell if they have the clips from this pic.
The 60 series wheels are more of a wagon style.

Those look like 40series wheels or some other steely, hard to tell if they have the clips from this pic.
The 60 series wheels are more of a wagon style.
Thanks.
I'm not sure what the clips are exactly, but the spare does have some type of little clips on it that looks like it takes a cap or something. The other wheels don't.

Assuming they’re possibly aftermarket because IIUC the 40 steelies have rivets which won’t clear the calipers
IIRC There's a newer version of the wheel that's welded that works with disc brakes

Thanks.
I'm not sure what the clips are exactly, but the spare does have some type of little clips on it that looks like it takes a cap or something. The other wheels don't.
I love the look of that size tire on those wheels. It helps a bunch to keep tire pressure not over 32 psi on the highway and down around 15-18 psi on the rough stuff. BFG has been having QC issues lately. Sidewalls were rarely a problem on the old KO's. I'd be interested in those wheels if you change.

I love the look of that size tire on those wheels. It helps a bunch to keep tire pressure not over 32 psi on the highway and down around 15-18 psi on the rough stuff. BFG has been having QC issues lately. Sidewalls were rarely a problem on the old KO's. I'd be interested in those wheels if you change.
Do you know of any 33" AT tires that are rated to fit that narrow of a wheel? I'm having trouble getting a tire company that would even put them on if I wanted to keep that setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom