Wheel weights won't stay on! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive had to take my truck in 4 times since I bought my new mtr kevlars to have the tires balanced. The several different shops say they are using the proper weights, but a few of them fly off on the freeway shortly after!

Anyone else have problems with weights staying on? It's getting so annoying that I'm about to sell the wheels any buy steel rims.

I'm assuming they are using the clip on rim weights.

Have you tried the interior mounted stick on weights? Or dynamic balancing media (used to run with airsoft pellets).

Yup, clip on rim syle.

I had them try the stick on weights but they didn't balance well. The front had slight death wobble coasting at 50mph. A different shop balanced with rim weights and it drove great, until a day later when 3 weights flew off on the damn freeway that is... :mad:

How much heavier are the steel rims compared to the factory alloys?

Not all clip on weights are the same. Some are for thinner steel rims - some are for different thicknesses of alloys.

The 80 series wheels are and odd hub size. Many of the wheel balancers used in tire stores are 'car' versions that don't have the right cone. Without the right cone it won't center right - and they'll throw 3lbs of weights on one side of the tire and it will flop-smack it's way down the road.

Do you have factory rims? I had a set of aftermarket chrome rims for a while that no weights would stay on - couldn't take clip on weights - tape weights wouldn't stick.

YMMV

Original aluminum wheels have a special weight ,already went through this with discount tire. MIke

They are likely using the wrong type of weight for the wheels. I have never had a problem, well except mashing them on rock when wheeling.

I had this problem with my old stock chrome plated wheels and the shops told me it was because the chrome made the lip a touch thicker causing them to fly off. Then when I finally ditched the chromies and got the non-chrome stockers mounted they frickn' put the stick-on weights on. But they have held so I've just stuck with them. Now hearing your issue I will probably stick with the stick-on weights.

The shop is using the wrong weights for your wheels. Ebag mentioned you are better off using the stick on type, if the clean the rim correctly they will not come off. I like steel rims, if they get beaten up on the trail you can get a BFH and straighten them up however, the stock alloys on the 80 are some of the strongest/lightest around IMHO.

BTW, forget all the BS about thicker rims ect, think truck wheels and how they are balanced, they use 'hammer on' rim weights designed for thicker rims.

Change your tyre shop

regards

Dave

Last edited:
X2 go to a better shop that knows what they are doing

Use Duct tape. It worked for the apollo.
ducttape_apollo17_big.jpg

I have had terrible luck with the Jackwads from Discount tire. I get the tires balanced, then throw weights on my way to Colorado or Utah which make the car shake so bad, I have to stop and get them balanced again. Good times sitting at a tire shop on vacation. There are 4 different types they use. One set comes in Grams (stamped on the weight) which are said to be Toyota style, but they don't stay on. The ones I have right now have AL stamped on them. They have tried them before and they have thrown off too, BUT these are doing pretty good so far. I now believe it really depends on WHO puts them on. It seems to me that most of those Tire monkeys are at the top of their career ladder, so I talk to the manager and show them in their own records how many times I have tire balances done a few days apart. They always say they will have their BEST guy do it this time......:rolleyes:

It would be very helpful if people who have no problems with wheel weights could find out the name of the style they get. Or even a picture....

Either way, Yes, I too have problems with wheel weights too. ( I have stock wheels).

TJM is correct.

All toyotas use FN (orange color code wheel weights)...

I would just ask them to static balance the wheels. (stick on wheel weights- tape weights)

I would be willing to bet they are using MC (yellow code weights)

You rock!! Thanks :beer:

Thanks guys.

I had a shop put on the stick on weights, but they didn't balance well. The front tires had a minor death wobble. Once they were balanced the truck drove great, until the damn weights flew off this week. I'll ask the next shop if they have the orange weights and if they don't I'll go someplace else that does. They should have them...

I only prefer the stick on weights as they a, never come off (when fitted properly) and b, they do not get knocked around the rim if you rub a rock or two when on the trail.

regards

Dave

When I was running 33's, I used stick on weights without issue, but when I went with 35 D-Tracs, I went with clip on weights cause I wanted the best balance :meh:

The problem is that my local tire shops would never use the correct weights and I'd randomly toss'em every now and then :bang:

I'd take it back and pretty much waste my time telling them to use the correct weights, but instead they said they'd try a different type of weight they had in stock :rolleyes:

The last time I had it done, I complained to the manager and he insisted that the new weights he's using will stay on, but I had them mark the tire at each weight and sure as $h!t, within a few weeks I had lost a couple :deadhorse:

Anyhoo, I figured the only way to do it right is to do it myself, so I searched Craigslist and scored a tire machine and two balancers :)

tiremachinestuffCL1.jpg

tiremachinestuffCL2.jpg

tiremachinestuffCL3.jpg

All three for $1000 bucks delivered :flipoff2:

Ordered up the correct weights and she's running smooth as ever :steer:

ALCFNweights1.jpg

ALCFNweights2.jpg

ALCFNweights3.jpg

ALCFNweights4.jpg

ALCFNweights5.jpg

A grand is a good buy! The only thing better is a DSP9700. ;)

I worked at Hunter Engineering in Bridgeton, Missouri when the team developed the DSP series of balances and they are the s***! If of course you know how to work them. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom