What's your investment into your UZJ100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

in·vest·ment /inˈves(t)mənt/ noun
1. the action or process of investing money for profit or material result.

...well, the $$$ into a cruiser will never result in a profit, but it will result in miles of worry free travel.

In the grand scheme of things, the $$$ I have put into the 100 to keep it a solid and reliable vehicle with over 300k miles is quite minimal. The big ticket items have been steering rack, front axles, wheel bearings/hub parts, ball joints, shocks, rear control arms and a MAF sensor. So, about $3k in parts plus my labor. Things like aftermarket bumpers, big tires and ham radios should not be included when trying to figure what it costs to maintain a high mileage rig. The vehicle doesn't need them to maintain its reliability.

Might be hard for you to see from your level, but the correlation is there. Perhaps someone else can google up a picture that breaks it down for you a little better?

For the record I was referring to the correlation between the words "Slee" and "garbage". I've personally never seen those two words in the same sentence, and I've never known Slee to ever produce "garbage" products. Just because other people modify their trucks to fit their own personal wants & needs different from your own, doesn't mean it's not worth it to them.

Other than standard maintenance and replacing wear items (like tires), my vehicle is stock so I'm into it for about what I paid for it as a 7 year old LX. I'm not going to count fuel and servicing the same way I would if I were tricking the thing out the way some of you do. I don't run trails or wheel, I use my vehicle as a daily driver and camping vehicle and it's more than capable enough to drive anything I'm willing to drive as a straight stocker.

I did do the timing belt at 90k (I'm at 119k now) and had to replace a broken power antenna and windshield. I don't do any of my own work so it's serviced at my local Toyo dealer.

Last edited:
No, I'm the guy who found a solution that works even better for $35 and takes 5 minutes to install. And I tend to look for these time and money saving solutions in aspects other than stereo equipment. Hence why I don't buy into the diff lockers and slee garbage you might be into.

I mean... if you wanna get really negative about it.. I'd offer that you're the guy who found a half-assed solution that still leaves you with cables sitting out all over your dash like a high schooler who only has a tape deck in a s***ty hand-me-down car. I am not a high schooler in a hand-me-down car, and wouldn't tolerate the cheap solution in my own vehicle. To me, it's like the equivalent of saying you bought a set of bias ply tires for your truck 'because they were cheaper'. :rolleyes:

You might be in the wrong forum for what you're looking for based on your lack of understanding of how the rest of us use our vehicles.

Last edited:
lol you haven't seen my setup, so guess again.

Slee is garbage because it bears no usefullness and certainly no value .When you go to sell your land cruiser, good luck getting a dime back for all the accessories you put on it

I don't need to brag. And I didn't come here looking for friends. There is a wealth of information here and that's what I'm after. If I wanted to make friends, I would just agree relentlessly with everybody.

Slee is garbage because it bears no usefullness and certainly no value

Flaming Slee armor again in yet another thread I see......trolls gonna troll...

I don't need to brag. And I didn't come here looking for friends. There is a wealth of information here and that's what I'm after. If I wanted to make friends, I would just agree relentlessly with everybody.

Not sure why you'd want to be mean in a forum full off helpful people. You don't have to agree with everyone, but why make it a point to attack people's decisions?

That's very apparent. You've been talking s*** to everyone who does more than drive an appliance since you got here. And obviously irritating many others in the process. Glad the people here are willing to help answer your 'owning a car 101' questions despite your persistence in demeaning the hobby everyone else here partakes in. Luckily you don't agree with everyone relentlessly, otherwise we'd all sound like idiots.

Like I said, you might be in the wrong forum. Or at least, your thoughts are.

That pic of it plunging into a river, that was purely for photo purposes wasn’t it? I mean why would anyone ever think it’s a good idea to ford in a river at such a high speed throwing water everywhere?

Can someone explain to me why are those ugly Slee bumpers so popular amongst land cruiser owners and how does anyone justify paying so much for them? What’s the benefit?

No no, you should totally invest thousands to mod a stock vehicle for no palpable benefit and then sell the whole thing for 4 grand because it’s about to fall apart into a giant rust pile.

Obviously Toyota stopped putting rear diff lockers on for a reason. The ONLY real scientific test to see if it’s worth anything would be to take two absolutely identical vehicles with same tires and everything else and test them side by side one with lock on and one off to see if it really makes a difference.

Slee and arb bumpers are ugly. That is my opinion. And what's more is I'd say most who put them on don't benefit from the hardware aspect aside from staring at them in their garage with a coffee cup in hand and saying "Ahhhyyyepppuhhhh" and going back inside to post about how much they love their bumper while wearing a robe.

Might be hard for you to see from your level, but the correlation is there. Perhaps someone else can google up a picture that breaks it down for you a little better?

Yeah...this is supposed to be like a lucrative proposition owning a cruiser. You guys shouldn’t be embarrassed about how much you are having to put into it to not be stranded with it on the side of the road.

Hence why I don't buy into the diff lockers and slee garbage you might be into.

I was talking mostly baselining and maintenance/upkeep to keep the truck trustworthy and capable.

Of course, my definition of "capable" will be much different than others'. :)

Bought mine in March of 2017 and i'm at $5.5k. That includes the crazy long timing belt part list posted here (not including radiator), heater T's/hoses, cabin filters, refoamed 1 speaker, ML subwoofer, few front/rear diff drain and fills, a few transfer case drain/fills, a few transmission drain/fills, new AHC globes, new AHC springs, 30mm packer, coil packs, rear brakes (pads/shoes/bell crank/modified dogbone) , refurb'd f/r swaybars, rear washer nozzle, rear center brake lamp, engine/transfer case mounts, driver front door lock assembly and misc missing clips/screws I found along the way.

$5,950 total into mine. Includes purchase price, sales tax, repair of A/C system, new muffler, re boot front driver cv, new radio antennae, new fog light assemblies, flush of power steering fluid, and leather care products. 194K miles at purchase. Small dents and light rust all around. Runs great,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom