Should I have a rear diff locker on LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This question may have been asked thousand times. Please forgive me to ask the 1001th time. As a newbie, I really appreciate the advice from the pros.

Basically, yy 2004 LX470 has 200K miles, and I like to go to remote wildness, solo most of times. However, I don't do rock crawling.

The recent ARB promotion can get the RD152+CKSA12 for about $900. With $100 for new carrier bearings + carrier gasket, and $250 to have it professionally installed (by ZUK), the total is $1250 installed. I will have to remove and reinstall the rear 3rd by myself although.

I read the ATRAC on 04 LX470 works pretty well but never experienced it before. So is it worth to invest $1250 on a rear ARB locker for my need of offroading, on an ATRAC equipped LX470? Will the ARB locker introduce any new issue?

Happy Lunar (Chinese) New Year!:cheers:

Basically what @Trunk Monkey said. Get out there and see where is the weakest link in your rig. But if you got cash to burn, I think you'll benefit more from a good set of All-Terrain tires than a rear locker. Maybe a set of MaxTraxs if your environment is muddy, sandy, or snowy.

Gong Hey Fat Choy

Last edited:
No no, you should totally invest thousands to mod a stock vehicle for no palpable benefit and then sell the whole thing for 4 grand because it’s about to fall apart into a giant rust pile.

Obviously Toyota stopped putting rear diff lockers on for a reason. The ONLY real scientific test to see if it’s worth anything would be to take two absolutely identical vehicles with same tires and everything else and test them side by side one with lock on and one off to see if it really makes a difference.

Run the ATRAC, it’s awesome when used right..

Spend some time reading about ATRAC on here. There are a lot of threads about it. Start with the FAQ threads on it. That will probably be enough.

I'd guess that your $1250 would be better spent elsewhere on the truck.

Agree with the others here. Go and familiarize your self with the ATRAC system. It is pretty capable. Just don't spin the hell out of your tires. Let the system do its work with minimal throttle input (as necessary).

Spend your money on good tires or a winch.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm totally convinced there is a better place to invest, the tires.
Hat off everyone!

Use what you have first and see if there's a need for a mod. You may find that what you've got will do everything you need it for just as is.
Thanks for calming me down :cool:. I'm convinced that the first hand experience is the real indicator if a locker is needed. Guess I will start :steer: as soon as possible after finish all maintenance items.

But if you got cash to burn,
Gong Hey Fat Choy
benefit more from a good set of All-Terrain tires than a rear locker
It's actual my wish for the New Year to earn enough cash (to burn :bounce:)! Gong He Fat Choy to you too!
Yes, it should have higher priority to get the right AT tires. Thanks for reminding me, and I totally forgot my LX still has the regular city tires. I will be starting saving for new tires.

ATRAC is pretty boss
Run the ATRAC, it’s awesome when used right..
Watched several videos on ATRAC. Yeah, very impressive!

I'd guess that your $1250 would be better spent elsewhere on the truck.
Yeah, I'm back to the right track now. There is no real benefit without the right tires.

Spend your money on good tires or a winch

I actually though about to have a winch, and then found I have to replace the bumper to install the winch (another $1xxx). Is it true? Any cost saving solution to install a winch?

Here is a video I made of ATRAC overcoming really rutted stuff. With a good set of tires, your LX is just as capable.

Here is a video I made of ATRAC overcoming really rutted stuff. With a good set of tires, your LX is just as capable.

I have watched your video several times before! Excellent video! Guess I will find some local trail to practice.

I actually though about to have a winch, and then found I have to replace the bumper to install the winch (another $1xxx). Is it true? Any cost saving solution to install a winch?

There are winch mounting options available that don't require a new bumper. Trail Tailor is one. I'm thinking of doing the same thing until I feel a bumper is necessary.

I'm not sure what their reasoning was for removing the lockers altogether. However, I can say without any doubt that it makes a difference. Will the OP require them, maybe and maybe not. I agree that he should give his ATRAC system a try and see how it does.

Just piling on for good measure. Use atrac until it dosent work for you. Check out the winch mount but also consider maxtrax.

I'm not sure what their reasoning was for removing the lockers altogether.

It is very unlikely the target demographic for these vehicles included much off-road use. More than likely it was soccer moms with the vehicle taken off-road for mild use. Regardless, as others have stated the AHC is pretty capable.

Yes, what everyone else said:
A/T tires >> lift >> traction boards >> winch >> saving for rainy day >> kids college fund >> may be lockers.

I have only a humble 98 that comes from a time before ATRAC was invented, doesn't even has VSC or even 4 channel ABS. I was getting stuck a lot and just a new set of BFG Ko2 tires in 33 inch size made a world of difference!
Lockers are useful in certain situations but if your truck is beached on its belly in a mud pit (see my avatar) or has all 4 wheels up in the air, all the lockers in the world won't do you any good.
A winch (or a friend with a second truck) will be needed to get out of that situation!

The ONLY real scientific test to see if it’s worth anything would be to take two absolutely identical vehicles with same tires and everything else and test them side by side one with lock on and one off to see if it really makes a difference.

No need to have 2 vehicles. I would just use one vehicle for this scientific test, run it with locker ON and OFF.

Yes, what everyone else said:
A/T tires >> lift >> traction boards >> winch >> saving for rainy day >> kids college fund >> may be lockers.

I have only a humble 98 that comes from a time before ATRAC was invented, doesn't even has VSC or even 4 channel ABS. I was getting stuck a lot and just a new set of BFG Ko2 tires in 33 inch size made a world of difference!
Lockers are useful in certain situations but if your truck is beached on its belly in a mud pit (see my avatar) or has all 4 wheels up in the air, all the lockers in the world won't do you any good.
A winch (or a friend with a second truck) will be needed to get out of that situation!
View attachment 1898460

Nice LX.

Do you know if the Limited Slip in your rear axle is still working? All (U.S.) LX470 (years 98-99) came standard with L/S.

Mine still functions...but it takes some pretty aggressive throttle input and a slippery surface to get enough tire spin for it to kick in (where I can tell).

Winch first then locker.

I will say that adding a rear locker has improved my ATRAC equipped 100 ability to clear obstacles or certain sections with reduced wear & tear on my drive train and tires. Can go lighter on the pedal and crawl over or through sections on the first attempt that would have required more RPM (and speed) and potential for wheel slip or hop and potentially causing damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom