What's your investment into your UZJ100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All stock.
13 years 107K miles: Combined cost per mile $0.426 (Not including PP)
$21K gas.
$15K insurance & taxes.
$9K PM. Includes: Minor body, tires & windshields. (All but ~$1.5K DIY)
$1.5K Detail & washing.

Does not included Exhaust manifold or right side junction box done under warranties or TSB.

Last edited:
Need to come up with a number. It's not small, but it's a toy/hobby and I drive a truck I get a lot of joy from and it's still cheaper than a car payment.

Well I've only owned mine for two months, but probably ~$600 because its winter. Can't do anything yet, and I have a hard time having parts and not using them. Just ask my drivers side turn signal which I dropped and shattered while installing depo headlights when it was 3 degrees outside.

The biggest hurdle is the cost of bumpers. Its insane. If someone who had a shop setup for fabrication to handle volume made a $600 bumper their quantity would make up for the lower price than everyone else.

All stock.
13 years 107K miles: Combined cost per mile $0.426 (Not including PP)
$21K gas.
$15K insurance & taxes.
$9K PM. Includes: Minor body, tires & windshields. (All but ~$1.5K DIY)
$1.5K Detail & washing.

Does not included Exhaust manifold or right side junction box done under warranties or TSB.

That's a great example of how little the upkeep compares to gas, insurance and taxes. Yikes. I'm scared to see what I've spent on gas in the last 13 years...

Yeah...this is supposed to be like a lucrative proposition owning a cruiser. You guys shouldn’t be embarrassed about how much you are having to put into it to not be stranded with it on the side of the road.

Yeah...this is supposed to be like a lucrative proposition owning a cruiser. You guys shouldn’t be embarrassed about how much you are having to put into it to not be stranded with it on the side of the road.

Aren't you the guy who thought the $150 for blue tooth compatibility was excessive?

Yeah... you probably wouldn't understand the money spent, then.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the owners here are either A) Significantly more particular than about 95% of any road-going car owner when it comes to when and how the vehicle is maintenanced, B) spending money on modifications, which are definitely not to be factored in the cost of 'not being stranded on the side of the road' or C) Both . You're not going to find many 'appliance' owners here.

Who ever said these were inexpensive cars to own?

That's a great example of how little the upkeep compares to gas, insurance and taxes. Yikes. I'm scared to see what I've spent on gas in the last 13 years...
Yeah! Maintenance (upkeep) is only ~$0.085 of the combined ~$0.42 cost per mile.

One thing worth mentioning is insurance cost here in Colo. If I was to use today's cost, it would be 200% greater or more, than the 13 years I had "The King "(2001LC). This would put Insurance & Taxes at ~$23K in 13 years. That's insane!

Yeah! Maintenance (upkeep) is only ~$0.085 of the combined ~$0.42 cost per mile.

One thing worth mentioning is insurance cost here in Colo. If I was to use today's cost, it would be 200% greater or more, than the 13 years I had "The King "(2001LC). This would put Insurance & Taxes at ~$23K in 13 years. That's insane!

Wow! With Geico I pay $900/year for my 99 with full coverage and a 200/1000 deductible for comprehensive/collision. I'm surprised your insurance is that high.

Just in parts that I have added to it (front and rear bumpers; full skid plate coverage; TrekBoxx drawer system; larger tires; sheepskin seat covers; etc) I am probably north of $10K.

I paid $17k for mine and between maintenance and upgrades I'm for sure in the older 200 series range. But as awesome as the 200 series is I don't want a stock one I can't afford to touch. Plus I'm not too worried since I plan on keeping this forever and giving it to my son in about 12 years ha.

So is this thread about what it costs to main't a 100 or the amount of cash you dumped into it for things other than main't/gas/ insurance? I'm not clear on the definition of "investment" in this case.

My 05 LC with 189k was $5k out the door. It had a blown front diff, a cracked windshield, ceased rear brakes and worn out front breaks but solid through and through with a strong engine; it came with brand new Michelins, and recently done OEM cats, oxygen sensors, the exhaust, and charcoal canister to the tune of almost $5k. It also needed a timing belt service, and the clear coat was sun damaged around all the doors and the hood. The interior was really dirty.

I spent $11k over the course of 1 year fixing everything, base lining it which included updating the entire cooling system, all fluids, shocks (non-AHC LC), breaks (rotors, pads and calipers), timing kit, spark plugs, PCV valve, and having a quality paint job done that looks better than the factory paint (thank God for an autobody magician friend who owns a body shop. He removed everything,; stripped it down to bear metal, primed it, and then painted it - 2 months in total but worth the wait). I also sourced an in excellent condition rear upper gate to replace the original one that had rust forming inside. Is it worth $16k today? It is to me! The truck drives and feels like it is good to go for the next 10 years, and it puts a smile on my face every time I get in. Beats the heck out of my friend's 2018 Honda Pilot at three times the cost.

Does time on MUD count? Hmmm.....

6 hrs / week / 40weeks / year = 240hrs x $39/hour = $9360 x 5years = $46,300.

It's like collage all over again, ummm, errrr, maybe less drinking and more learning.

I'm only 1 month and 6 days in, but I've already "invested" $461.47. However, the POs did all the work for me. It already has front and rear bumpers, roof rack, a lift, and armor.

I spent 5K on a 98 with 186K this fall surface rust with rust holes in the rear bumper support and behind the rear wheels included :(. I have spent an additional 1200$ in parts to replace the headunit, recover the front seats, reboot/pack the cv joints, replace valve cover gaskets, paint rear bumper, and swap out factory wheels with 20" sequoia/tundra platinum wheels (off roading is not in my future this is a people hauler) etc I still have a few ?minor leaks? but I think I'm doing ok? I'm trying not to let this get out of hand I'm thinking of getting my feet wet with this one and in a few years moving to a lx570 ... or not depending on my experience

I have a recurring nightmare where i die and my wife sells my toys for what i told her i paid for them. Cruisers included

Aren't you the guy who thought the $150 for blue tooth compatibility was excessive?

Yeah... you probably wouldn't understand the money spent, then.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the owners here are either A) Significantly more particular than about 95% of any road-going car owner when it comes to when and how the vehicle is maintenanced, B) spending money on modifications, which are definitely not to be factored in the cost of 'not being stranded on the side of the road' or C) Both . You're not going to find many 'appliance' owners here.

Who ever said these were inexpensive cars to own?

No, I'm the guy who found a solution that works even better for $35 and takes 5 minutes to install. And I tend to look for these time and money saving solutions in aspects other than stereo equipment. Hence why I don't buy into the diff lockers and slee garbage you might be into.

Hence why I don't buy into the diff lockers and slee garbage you might be into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom