What's it for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
In putting my gas tank in this week I noticed this flap under the rear that has me puzzled. It's on both side ane one has this funky bolt cap thing. So my question "What is it for?"

1832134-DSC07127.JPG

1832134-DSC07128.JPG

Last edited:
I dont remember that on mine either, I was just under there the other day removing some old fuel line brackets I had missed.

my 1970 fj55 has these, I don't plan to put those flaps back on, in fact I may weld them up so mud, debri can't get back. I also plan to drill some drain holes in the bottom rear so it will drain well. The screw is kinda like a set screw for the bar that goes across the tailgate area and gives the tailgate some tension. Basically I had to unbolt this screw in order to pull the lateral bar that goes across the back end where the tailgate fits on the truck. My truck came in pieces so someone might be able to explain it better.

Noah

ding ding ding we have a winner !!!!! tailgate torsion bar adjusters, every pig has them, some owners never know.

Aah so that's what they're for, i thought those flaps were to access the body mount bolts or something?
I'll have a look sometime when it isn't dark lol :D

Aah so that's what they're for, i thought those flaps were to access the body mount bolts or something?
I'll have a look sometime when it isn't dark lol :D

Those flaps are to access the rear most body bolts.

I don't have those torsion bar bolts on my 73

My rear channel was filled up full with CO mud behind those flaps.

I thought it might have something to do with the tail gate but it just seemed to far down to be part of it. I'll take the covers off and take some more pics. Of what is actually looks like.

It does both the body mounts AND the torsion bar adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom