What’s a fair price? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
4Runner guy looking for an 80 series. I’m seeing trucks going from 6 grand to 30 grand. For a truck over 200,000 miles without rust in the south and no lockers, what’s a good price?

4Runner guy looking for an 80 series. I’m seeing trucks going from 6 grand to 30 grand. For a truck over 200,000 miles without rust in the south and no lockers, what’s a good price?
I think I just recently purchased something very similar to your guidelines. 1997 FZJ80. I’m in NJ, I just bought the truck from a guy in PA who’s had it around a year and a half, and he bought it from a former mud member in Georgia who had it there at least around a decade and cared for it very well. I bought it with 264k miles (head gasket job at 225k), no lockers besides center and completely rust free, and I paid $12K. This is my first 80 and I’m not sure how a poorly cared for one would feel/perform, but a rock solid example is priceless in my opinion. I was also among a decent size group of people looking at the truck, just to give an idea. Hope I was helpful

Prices are currently inflated IMO/IME, so the range is all over the map. Condition of the body, paint, and interior are most important (and most expensive to fix), so maybe focus on those things. Mechanical issues are relatively easy(er) and less expensive to fix.

$5000-12,000 depending on the factors above.

Prices are overinflated as was pointed out in previous posts. But every now and then a blind squirrel finds a nut. Just picked up a 1992 in the Portland, OR area for $1,800. Miles equals 254,000, motor/trans good, interior is great with exception of drivers seat wear. Only issue is front passenger birfield will need some love and attention. Owner thought the issue was t-case or front diff. Body is straight and clean with no paint issues. A little surface rust underneath due to a partial life in Idaho and snow.

This is not a brag piece, but illustrate decent 80’s series are out there for a reasonable price if patient. One week after I bought this one, another came on Craigslist for 1,500 with a blown head gasket. If not for the fact I was out of the country at that point, would have picked it up as there were many other positives to the rig.

Keep the faith and do not compromise on either price or condition and the right one will come along. Good luck in your search!

that piece of sting is THIS long (my arms are spread out wide)!

Prices ARE inflated - especially for (wait for it...) good specimens. What's good for you might be different than me.

Yesterday I paid 15 big ones for a '97 LX 450. Hey, I read the stuff on here to look for before buying (as well as the comments) and concluded NO rust was a must for me. Good paint, though rare was also a big $$$ saver too. I had to have lockers. I already bought a new 200 in '19 so I wanted something I could make bullet proof. And, for me I wanted a solid foundation to start from. This beast has 370k miles on it (not a typo). Service records and testimony from the previous owners neighbor and just looking at the vehicle tell me it was babied. Heck it just passed CA smog. I plan on doing a full mechanical baseline (seals, bearings, valves, rings, etc.) but I've got a vehicle today that I drove and everything just works (OK, the "D" bulb is burnt out to indicate drive), but seriously...

As I told my wife, I've been looking for six weeks (more really) on the west cost from Seattle to San Diego to Phoenix and Denver - and everywhere in between. This thing popped up so close that I rode my bike to pick it up. What I learned, and anybody with some time will, is there are a few out there. Some you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Like the totaled one in WA that is listed at $4k (and won't budge on the price) REALLY??? To the one that looks awesome in Beverly Hills for north of $40k

Win the big lottery, then it doesn't make a difference (remember, I get half!:);))

seriously,
enjoy the journey

Welcome, I also owned a few 4runners before (actually getting ready to sell my wife’s 13 now if anyone is looking for a mall cruiser). I doubt you’ll ever look back once you drive a land cruiser.

The following advice is probably barely worth the very inexpensive data storage that it resides on but here goes:

Definitely all over the map on price depending on sourcing location, build and condition. I looked for about 18 months for a triple locked, white late model with less than 200k and settled on what i think is a good deal but I’m sure some here would believe it is too much and some too little. The trick there is I had it nailed down what I wanted. Looked at a few other colors and almost pulled the trigger but I stuck to my guns and am very happy so far. I’d plan to spend some time researching and looking if you want to buy once and remember everything looks better when you’re hungry. Why is it important to buy once? Because you’re going to sink a lot of money into that 80 that you’ll NEVER get out of it. It’s like buying a house and replacing the roof and the fence...

One rule that i think most people outside this forum dont seem to get is that mileage is one factor but probably not the most important factor. You say you want to stay under 200k, which is what I wanted but also need to realize that a 225k well maintained 80 is a way better deal than a 150k that you can’t get a service history on.

From a sourcing aspect here’s my experience:
- Local Classifieds are going to be the least expensive and likely least quality. I looked at a lot of stinkers that way.
- IH8Mud classifieds are going to be relatively high quality and moderately expensive. There’s a culture here of needing to justify a premium so you don’t get laughed at which i think is mostly helpful.
- Other overland forums tend to be more expensive than IH8Mud with less knowledge of what/why they did things. Still better maintenance and maintenance history than local classifieds in general because they are enthusiasts.
- BAT, eBay, etc are probably higher quality than local classifieds but I’ve seen quite a few silly priced flips from 80s that were first listed here at a more reasonable price. If your have the means to go to 40k+, Probably better to contact corsetti or TLC directly.

This thread on the classified section should give you some anecdotes:

Good luck! The search is half the fun!

I never get tired of these threads.....

80-its-a-fair-price.jpg

Since about 1/3 of the new posts are "Is this a fair price?" - can we start a new sub-forum for pricing? Cluttering up the tech!

So you are familiar with 4 runners.

I think maybe 10x the amount of 4Runners were sold in USA for any given year 91-97.

Maybe the price of 4Runner was 1/2 the price of the land cruiser.

So take a fair price of a 4Runner and double it and then add a rarity premium of 25% and you might have a fair price for a cruiser. Add a few k if it’s locked.

Stick with your 3rd gen 'Runner. 80 is a money pit by comparison (maintenance requirements, fuel cost and price of parts). Pocket savings for hookers and blow.

Prices are currently inflated IMO/IME, so the range is all over the map. Condition of the body, paint, and interior are most important (and most expensive to fix), so maybe focus on those things. Mechanical issues are relatively easy(er) and less expensive to fix.

$5000-12,000 depending on the factors above.

Prices are not inflated and are only reflect what is happening in the actual market. Just because these trucks were 5K 10 years ago does not mean they the same price today. Your emotional reaction to what you paid and what you think they are worth does not reflect reality.

Stick with your 3rd gen 'Runner. 80 is a money pit by comparison (maintenance requirements, fuel cost and price of parts). Pocket savings for hookers and blow.
This man shows promise!

@Kernal I don’t think the price is going to drop back down. I’ve been rig shopping for months now. Check out the prices on CJ7s, TJs and Scramblers. FZJ80s are a bargain.

The pricing on 4Runners has dropped a little. Scouts have increased slightly, and 40s seem to have leveled.

In general, it’s crazy because the outdoors is the only place you can go.

Problem asking for opinions is that everyone has one. I definitely think the prices are inflated, no question about it, in my opinion.

I don't know anyone who would buy an 80 via BAT, just too many people with money who don't care about what it costs, don't know anything about the vehicle, they just want one and can bid on a vehicle while on the golf course, sight unseen.

Those who think the current values are fair and reasonable, in my opinion, are the same people who look at their 80's (and likely all their possessions) as an investment and/or a status symbol.

So those people want to be seen in their 80 "---look at me, I'm driving this rare cool expensive Land Cruiser the only one in the neighborhood, pulling up to Star Bucks, driven by Sarah Conner the Terminator Lady, -----"

I see an 80 Series as a tool, something to get me reliably from A to B and back again, and I do like driving it (how it handles, etc), simple as that.

And that's my opinion.

Problem asking for opinions is that everyone has one. I definitely think the prices are inflated, no question about it, in my opinion.

I don't know anyone who would buy an 80 via BAT, just too many people with money who don't care about what it costs, don't know anything about the vehicle, they just want one and can bid on a vehicle while on the golf course, sight unseen.

Those who think the current values are fair and reasonable, in my opinion, are the same people who look at their 80's (and likely all their possessions) as an investment and/or a status symbol.

So those people want to be seen in their 80 "---look at me, I'm driving this rare cool expensive Land Cruiser the only one in the neighborhood, pulling up to Star Bucks, driven by Sarah Conner the Terminator Lady, -----"

I see an 80 Series as a tool, something to get me reliably from A to B and back again, and I do like driving it (how it handles, etc), simple as that.

And that's my opinion.

Your like my parents who won’t replace their car because prices are to high. Yeah just give it a couple moths and they will go down.😉

It will be interesting to see how prices change once gas hits $4.00+ a gallon and our new department of the interior secretary shuts down half our public lands to offroad use. Just look at the whole Bears ears monument BS.

^^^This^^^. When gas prices were close to or above $4 a gallon you could barely give one of these away.

^^^This^^^. When gas prices were close to or above $4 a gallon you could barely give one of these away.

Yeah just like all the classic muscle cars. People were selling them at a 3rd of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom