What winch would you get if you had to swap out your 8274?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...and don't say "another 8274".

Title sums it up, mostly. So I have an 8274, picked up used awhile back in great condition. After looking at a bunch of different bumper designs, I'm leaning towards a much lower profile (and stealthy) winch option for my FJ62 that is easier to fit in various bumpers.

I love the 8274 and know all the pros and cons, but if you had to swap an 8274 for another winch...what would you want/recommend?? For purposes of this discussion, I will not consider the HF units or similar type stuff, not a snob jus'sayin' would likely stay with Warn.

Warn 9000 or 9500 used on Craigslist

Maybe the Come up, or the Sherpa.

Dont know anything about the particulars of either…other than the good reputation they both seem to have.

Look at the Superwinch Talon series. Decent loaded line speed and really fast no load speeds. Not sure how the 'new' Superwinch compares to the old company, but I bet its decent stuff still

I have a Warn 12K on my main FJ60. Lower profile than an 8274 and it has never let me down.

IMG_5933.jpg

Look at the Superwinch Talon series. Decent loaded line speed and really fast no load speeds. Not sure how the 'new' Superwinch compares to the old company, but I bet its decent stuff still

Didn't Superwinch go tits up last year? Maybe someone bought them out?

Didnt warn get bot out again recently?

personally, if I needed a low profile winch it would be the Warn 12K..nothing smaller

Well, you could give the 8274 to a mate and he can then pull your 60 out when needed :)

nodifflocks.jpg

dragged.jpg

slicks.jpg

8274 on the front of my patrol to pull him out.

On a 60, an m12000 would do pretty good. I have one on my 80 and it has some serious pulling power. Just make sure you have the battery/batteries to run it and a decent mount to get the pulling load to the chassis.

cheers,
george.

personally, if I needed a low profile winch it would be the Warn 12K..nothing smaller
Considering a couple options, the 12s are monsters, not sure I would tap into all that thing can do....then again never say never! Lol.

Liking the 9.5xp as a middle ground, which also has the faster motor everyone likes to fit on the 8274.

Dimensionally anything from 9500 to 12000 are the same size. I've had WARN all my life, never let me down.
Lately Sherpa, ComeUp and Runva have entered the market.
All I can recommend is NEW. Don't screw with old abandoned equipment unless you want to spend a bunch of time
and money ****ing around with it. And have good walking shoes, if you don't.

BTW @TRAIL TAILOR I believe has a sale prices going on today, as I was just on his site. Can't go wrong with a
new ComeUP I expect.

XD9000i did great pulling this 60 over this drift:
w_098.jpg

The Warn 9500xp has plenty of pulling power and good line speed in a reasonably size winch. I'd be looking for second hand units. The Old HS9500 are nice too

Man been thinking about this a lot, and looked at a million more pics, and received some actual measurements from a few Mud members. I'm going to stick with the 8274 I found on the bumper I want...gotta dance with who brung ya'. It's a solid working unit that needs very little.

^^^
Good choice. That’s what I wanted to suggest but you asked us not to.

8274 for the win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom