What to Do to My AWD 1997 Lexus LX450? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome to 'Mud!

That's a LOT of questions!

Yes, search is your friend here.
You'll spend time reading and understanding.

If you are planning on paying a shop to do the work, you're not going to "make money" at this endeavor.

You can learn how to do the work yourself with the help of this forum.

Get an FSM (Factory Service Manual). Do a search for "manual at a hell of a price" and download the one you need. You can also buy a hard copy from a couple places if needed.

Supercharger is discontinued and nothing on the horizon as a reproduction.

HOWEVER, Wits' End (@NLXTACY ) is in the process of developing a bolt-on turbo kit for these. It will be a while, but will be quality work.

Tires: Look seriously at the Goodyear Duratrac 285/75-16. They are great in snow and as DD. I am originally from NW Iowa and have been up there in the snow and have walked through 4 ft drifts like they're not there. This is essentially a 33" tire. I have these and have 53K on my set and they are still more than 50% tread. I DD mine about 20K/year.

The LX450 is the same series as the Toyota LC, but it has a few extra bells and whistles, softer suspension, and more trim that captures salt and rusts things out. Seriously look into the Fluid Film to every year to save this truck from disintigration.

These things (IMO) tend to spit out aftermarket parts. Buy your parts from folks on this forum or local Toyota dealers or online Toyota dealers. Personally, I use: Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online

Drive it, make your list, and say goodbye to your wallet.
Prioritize your purchases and installations.

Where you live, you will want Deer strike protection, Winter heat (read-cooling system and rear heater bypass, and PHH), good tires.

Yes, if you do the HG make sure you buy Toyota, nothing else. Have the head reworked at the same time and you won't regret it. But don't do it until you NEED it.

Oh.. and your coolant needs to be GREEN or RED, but nothing in between. If it's brown, flush it immediately and install a new T-stat, rad. cap, and maybe some hoses.

Also Blackstone Labs will give you a medical record of your engine. Search it here and on the interwebs.

OK....That was your freebie. Now, put on your big-boy pants and hold on. Because now we will bag on you, make fun of you, and harass you. Then we will help you, make fun of you some more, and laugh at your foibles.

Make sure you don't take it personally and that you also give it back.

Good luck and welcome. Enjoy your Pink Panties.

I'd suggest reading the forums for a few weeks then grab a case of good beer and take a short road trip to visit @Red Merle. Its super helpful to talk cruisers in person with someone that knows their stuff.

In fact just a few weeks back @baldilocks cruised through my area and after we had some dinner he provided a ton of useful information.

I'd suggest reading the forums for a few weeks then grab a case of good beer and take a short road trip to visit @Red Merle. Its super helpful to talk cruisers in person with someone that knows their stuff.

In fact just a few weeks back @baldilocks cruised through my area and after we had some dinner he provided a ton of useful information.
You are too kind :)

It's about a 7 hour drive from Milwaukee up to where I live, but only a couple hours north from Minneapolis. I am always willing to help out a fellow Cruiser enthusiast though and I am good at drinking other people's beer. ;)

Go to the Clubhouses section at the top of the page and find a club closest to you. Right now, it looks to me like IL-Windy City Cruisers, but I am not good at geography.

If you are using a phone to view this website these instructions may be different, but in general you search by clicking on the 80 series tech and then under where your user name is displayed and Inbox and alerts will be the search box that you need. Sometimes it doesn't work as well as you might like and then just go to google.com and in the search type in ih8mud.com: 80 series blahblah blah and let google do the searching for you.

Couple things you may notice, or will later, is this is not like other forums, People are not permitted to bully etc so any disagreements are just that, nothing more.

Also you are completely ok with posting on old threads just know that some old threads you might not get an answer from the original poster if they are no longer active, but you will still get the thread moved to the top and people will see it and probably still help you.

Most people here do their own work and are NOT mechanics by trade. The mechanics that are here are not trying to hold back info in order to g et services etc.

You know how to read, you have this forum and now you know how to search and ask questions. You only need to spend money on parts and tools from this point on if you so choose. the more money you save, the more you will learn and the more mods you can afford. < this is a tried and true rule.

slight bit of advise.... you have another vehicle... you need to keep it while you do your baselining.. there are a lot of things that get changed when you are in the "while i am in here" mood. for example I needed to fix an oil leak on my oil pump cover. I changed radiator hoses, power steering low pressure hoses, alternator, fuel filter, front crank seal, oil pump filter, oil filter, oil, belts, thermostat, water pump, and radiator clutch fan.. I did all that because i had a lot of extra room to get all that stuff done while i was in there. in the end i saved bundle of time. you don't have that option if you sell your jeep too soon and have to put the vehicle back in to a running state after each preventative maintenance item you cover. You will also find that it is annoying to keep taking the same items off over and over again.

Hit me up next time you are in MPLS. Would be cool to see your rig.

View attachment 1742343

Yea, I saw that search tool... thanks! I wasn’t sure if there were other search functions too. I’ve never been much of a forum guy til now.

And yea, I definitely will. Although it’s not really a “rig” at the moment. I just purchased it, so it’s still stock, but I plan on making some upgrades soon. What kind of rig do you have?

At the top of the 80 series section is a FAQ. Great place to start.

Do a black stone oil analysis. It will tell you if your head gasket is going. The head gasket design has been updated since the original so it is generally considered best to replace with the current one available through Toyota.

33s fit without a lift but also look good with a 2 1/2” OME or equal lift and will minimally affect driving power.

Lockers are great, personally I would just drive it and wheel it until you feel the need for lockers and then add them at that time.

Good luck!

Wow! Thanks a lot! This is a HUGE help! I really appreciate it!i think I’ll go for the 33’s w/o a lift for now and see how I like it, and will likely end up putting a lift on not to far down the road. They actually make OEM lift kits? I didn’t know that. Are they actually made by Toyota then?

Welcome :flipoff2:

I would start with when was the last inspection? Any advisories? This will give you an overall idea of general condition.

Next find a decent mechanic, if he (or she) is around these particular models they will know what to look for, pay for a thorough service, see what that brings up.

To qualify that last paragraph, yes using the information here and assuming you have a decent jack and stands, and a basic tool kit you could carry out this yourself and is a good way to familiarise yourself however, unless you are car savvy a good mechanic will see things you simply will not recognise as to perhaps being an issue in the future. If you have the knowledge then go ahead and get in there.

Whilst I agree swotting up with the search facility will help from a knowledge point of view however, you can get drowned and soon become 'search dizzy' as you get pulled from pillar to post, even the most basic threads can get contaminated.

Regards

Dave

Yea, I know what you mean about becoming “search dizzy”. I tried going through a lot of posts/threads before posting this, and I think I just got overwhelmed.

I had it inspected before I purchased it. I just brought it to a local mechanic near the dealership, but to be honest with you I don’t think he did a very thorough job, and probably didn’t get my money’s worth. I’m trying to find a good mechanic that knows LC’s that I can trust, and when I do I’ll have him go through the entire vehicle for me. I’m fairly handy when it comes to fixing things around the house, but engine bays are still very foreign to me, although I’m excited to learn more. It’s something I have always wanted to be more knowledgeable about.

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!

Oh and yes the super chargers are discontinued. There was a group buy a couple years ago direct from Magnusson for a few more, but again all those have been sold. The bolt on turbo kit being developed seems to be the most likely option going forward for additional power.

I think by now everyone accepts the LX450 as a true Land Cruiser. That argument took place when an LX470 graced the cover of Toyota Trails way back in the day. Just accept the “pink panty” persona and you’ll be good.

Hahaha! “pink panty persona” aka the triple P. I like that.

Do you have anymore information about this turbo kit, or a link you could send me so that I can check this out? I take it that it’s not available yet since you said it was still “being developed”? Is this turbo kit also made by Magnusson? If not, who’s developing it?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

Welcome to 'Mud!

That's a LOT of questions!

Yes, search is your friend here.
You'll spend time reading and understanding.

If you are planning on paying a shop to do the work, you're not going to "make money" at this endeavor.

You can learn how to do the work yourself with the help of this forum.

Get an FSM (Factory Service Manual). Do a search for "manual at a hell of a price" and download the one you need. You can also buy a hard copy from a couple places if needed.

Supercharger is discontinued and nothing on the horizon as a reproduction.

HOWEVER, Wits' End (@NLXTACY ) is in the process of developing a bolt-on turbo kit for these. It will be a while, but will be quality work.

Tires: Look seriously at the Goodyear Duratrac 285/75-16. They are great in snow and as DD. I am originally from NW Iowa and have been up there in the snow and have walked through 4 ft drifts like they're not there. This is essentially a 33" tire. I have these and have 53K on my set and they are still more than 50% tread. I DD mine about 20K/year.

The LX450 is the same series as the Toyota LC, but it has a few extra bells and whistles, softer suspension, and more trim that captures salt and rusts things out. Seriously look into the Fluid Film to every year to save this truck from disintigration.

These things (IMO) tend to spit out aftermarket parts. Buy your parts from folks on this forum or local Toyota dealers or online Toyota dealers. Personally, I use: Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online

Drive it, make your list, and say goodbye to your wallet.
Prioritize your purchases and installations.

Where you live, you will want Deer strike protection, Winter heat (read-cooling system and rear heater bypass, and PHH), good tires.

Yes, if you do the HG make sure you buy Toyota, nothing else. Have the head reworked at the same time and you won't regret it. But don't do it until you NEED it.

Oh.. and your coolant needs to be GREEN or RED, but nothing in between. If it's brown, flush it immediately and install a new T-stat, rad. cap, and maybe some hoses.

Also Blackstone Labs will give you a medical record of your engine. Search it here and on the interwebs.

OK....That was your freebie. Now, put on your big-boy pants and hold on. Because now we will bag on you, make fun of you, and harass you. Then we will help you, make fun of you some more, and laugh at your foibles.

Make sure you don't take it personally and that you also give it back.

Good luck and welcome. Enjoy your Pink Panties.

Damn man! That’s a LOT of great info! I REALLY appreciate all your help! I’m going to make a list like you said, and add each of these suggestions. This is good s***! Thanks again!

And I’m not worried at all! It takes a lot to offend me, and I’m for some good s***-talking.

Thanks again for alll your suggestions!!

You are too kind :)

It's about a 7 hour drive from Milwaukee up to where I live, but only a couple hours north from Minneapolis. I am always willing to help out a fellow Cruiser enthusiast though and I am good at drinking other people's beer. ;)

Sounds like a trip north is in my near future. Where are you located?

Go to the Clubhouses section at the top of the page and find a club closest to you. Right now, it looks to me like IL-Windy City Cruisers, but I am not good at geography.

Sweet! I had no idea there were clubs, although that obviously makes sense. Thanks for the great idea!

If you are using a phone to view this website these instructions may be different, but in general you search by clicking on the 80 series tech and then under where your user name is displayed and Inbox and alerts will be the search box that you need. Sometimes it doesn't work as well as you might like and then just go to google.com and in the search type in ih8mud.com: 80 series blahblah blah and let google do the searching for you.

Couple things you may notice, or will later, is this is not like other forums, People are not permitted to bully etc so any disagreements are just that, nothing more.

Also you are completely ok with posting on old threads just know that some old threads you might not get an answer from the original poster if they are no longer active, but you will still get the thread moved to the top and people will see it and probably still help you.

Most people here do their own work and are NOT mechanics by trade. The mechanics that are here are not trying to hold back info in order to g et services etc.

You know how to read, you have this forum and now you know how to search and ask questions. You only need to spend money on parts and tools from this point on if you so choose. the more money you save, the more you will learn and the more mods you can afford. < this is a tried and true rule.

slight bit of advise.... you have another vehicle... you need to keep it while you do your baselining.. there are a lot of things that get changed when you are in the "while i am in here" mood. for example I needed to fix an oil leak on my oil pump cover. I changed radiator hoses, power steering low pressure hoses, alternator, fuel filter, front crank seal, oil pump filter, oil filter, oil, belts, thermostat, water pump, and radiator clutch fan.. I did all that because i had a lot of extra room to get all that stuff done while i was in there. in the end i saved bundle of time. you don't have that option if you sell your jeep too soon and have to put the vehicle back in to a running state after each preventative maintenance item you cover. You will also find that it is annoying to keep taking the same items off over and over again.

That is a really good point! I think you’re right. I’ll probably either hang onto my Jeep or I was also thinking about just getting a 4Runner for my DD, so that I can work on this truck like you said.

I appreciate all the help! A lot of great info here!

If it's rust free now, he can keep it that way if he sprays Fluid Film or bar chain oil on everything underneath and pumps it into the rocker panels and doors. My Tacoma is still 100% rust free and i have been driving it through 6 far northern winters. I just go through the car wash a lot in the winter and spray the oil at least twice per year.

It is rust-free at the moment. It was originally from AZ so it’s pretty damn clean at the moment. I was already planning on doing an undercoating on it to prevent rust, but I’m guessing this Fluid Film or the bar chain oil is a better option?

Thanks!

OME = Old Man Emu

Toyota does not make a lift

Toyota do fit longer springs and larger tyres for the JDM, side by side to my stock VX, the JDM is around 3" taller, seen this on a number if HDJ81's, could be coincidence?

Perhaps there is a part number difference between Euro and JDM springs/shocks spec?

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom