What the heck is this thing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m an electrical apprentice at a restoration shop and my first task is to install a kwik wire universal wire harness after I pulled out the old one. I’m currently constantly getting stuck because I don’t know what some things are and what they do, my goal today was to make sure I can wire the ignition switch up correctly and while for the most part it’s easy I ran into this thing that the ammeter wires are connected to as well as it being connected to the fuse box, a relay and the ignition switch and it’s destroying my brain because when I look at my wiring diagram this thing doesn’t exist apparently. I’m hoping you guys can help me identify what it is and how I can wire my ignition and ammeter without on the new one.

The white wires connect to the positive of the ammeter gauge and the starter and then to this thing, the blue wires connect to the relays and the fuse box as well as the ignition switch.

Ps my boss doesn’t have the time to help me out so I’d much appreciate if you geniuses can help me out

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think that is an old style resettable fuse. Probability bimetallic. If you overload it then it goes open circuit.

Have you got the correct and genuine toyota diagram? Some other diagrams give you useful information presented in a different way and can be helpful but imo the toyota diagram is best.

Print it off as big as you can, laminate it, and then scribble corrections onto it where needed - things that previous owners have changed etc such as those relays.

Boss "doesn't have time to help" = doesn't have a clue where to start haha

I don't think it's stk. The white wire goes from the batt thru a fusible link then to the positive side of the ammeter.

You dont ref what your working on. Coolerman's website offers many diagrams, color correct wire along with terminals and plugs.

I think back in the day they were called automatic circuit breakers, used for critical systems like head lights so you could stop with slow stroboscopic light instead of driving off the cliff with a blown fuse.

I think back in the day they were called automatic circuit breakers, used for critical systems like head lights so you could stop with slow stroboscopic light instead of driving off the cliff with a blown fuse.
Ah yea, that will be all those relays hooked onto it. Probably got a whole load of extra holes for those lights in the bumper too?

I think that is an old style resettable fuse. Probability bimetallic. If you overload it then it goes open circuit.

Have you got the correct and genuine toyota diagram? Some other diagrams give you useful information presented in a different way and can be helpful but imo the toyota diagram is best.

Print it off as big as you can, laminate it, and then scribble corrections onto it where needed - things that previous owners have changed etc such as those relays.

Boss "doesn't have time to help" = doesn't have a clue where to start haha
I have the diagrams my boss printed up for me as well as a manual for kwik wire installation, and he’s told me he also doesn’t know much about electrical aside from doing a single harness before.

If the previous owner used this breaker as a means to bypass the need for a fusible link in the line should I take it back to stock with a fusible link try or keep doing what they were doing with this breaker, also there’s no accessory lights for which I think the breaker would be useful for though it does have an aftermarket AC and sound system.

I don't think it's stk. The white wire goes from the batt thru a fusible link then to the positive side of the ammeter.
I labeled where each connection was before I removed the harness and it was definitely hooked up to the starter but then again the last time this thing was maybe operational was 81 in Nicaragua so maybe whoever did this harness last made it just barely run enough to sell it and now I have to deal with the mess, I mean the battery is hooked up to the starter in the same place as the white wire so would it still conduct well enough to run?

Central America Land Cruisers typically have been rode hard and patched together for repair or to flip. I'd probably lean towards stk wiring. Does it have a stk alt and external voltage regulator?. If so, Is the replacement harness setup for that?

none of the wires look like they came from Toyota

I have the diagrams my boss printed up for me as well as a manual for kwik wire installation, and he’s told me he also doesn’t know much about electrical aside from doing a single harness before.
Firstly you need to search on here and find the correct diagram for your model and year - ascertain for yourself that you have the correct information, otherwise you'll be chasing your tail.
You also need the full chassis manual.

If its badly hacked then just ignore what you started with and rebuild it to standard as per the manual.
Three reasons:
1) it will work and will be safe.
2) when something goes wrong in future, there will be a reference diagram.
3) most people looking at buying a 40 have a good idea of what they're looking at and any non-standard wiring will stand out like a sore thumb and they'll run a mile.

Looks to me like they put the breaker in where the amp meter was then added lots of wires to power other things from that location.
White comes from battery to amp meter, white/blue originally went from the amp meter to the fuse panel.
There is nothing quick about universal harnesses.

Looks to me like they put the breaker in where the amp meter was then added lots of wires to power other things from that location.
White comes from battery to amp meter, white/blue originally went from the amp meter to the fuse panel.
There is nothing quick about universal harnesses.
Completely agree. Much better to invest in wiring it up wire by wire and sleeving/taping it all up correctly.
Especially when the apprentice is doing it at a low hourly rate ;)

You'll get your money back.

none of the wires look like they came from Toyota

I agree, it appears that there's not a lot of stk looking wires in that harness, and there's a lot of non stk components in there. The previous wirer liked the various shade of blue wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom