What skinny tires look like (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

255/85r16 Yokohoma Geolandar M/T G003. Had fun on the trail with them yesterday. Kept them at 40 psi, would have helped with the snow and ice left on the trail if I woulda aired down I’m sure.

51AAA899-714E-4338-85D4-D3A5E225493E.jpeg

86E0720A-4012-4EFF-A622-13CAC23D36BF.jpeg

C232B5A5-0755-40EF-A18C-E8C8E054AFFE.jpeg

49573645-B3CC-4E1D-8B23-0D5A374DB396.jpeg

Skinny tires would look cool with Tundra steelies and the retro headlight buckets and grill by @kelly saad

Reactions: jLB
One thing about a narrower tire that most people don't consider is the aerodynamic effect(s) they have. A narrower tire pushes less air out of the way at highway speeds. Half of that air goes under the vehicle where it drags on frame/exhaust/axles/etc... Also, when rolling along at 60 mph (or 80 or whatever you like to roll at...) the tire tread is also moving in a circle as well as forward with the axle. So you're churning a lot of air, esp with a MT. It takes eight times the power to move twice as fast for a given object - if you make that object smaller or more aerodynamic, you change the power requirements by quite a bit!

Heres some photos of my new skinny tires. Don't laugh. I like them and maybe this will help others wanting to see what this size looks like mounted. They are BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM 235/85X16

Good for you - completely appropriate tire size.

Unless you plan to run in sand big tires are nothing but a liability performance wise.

Somebody throw these on those Tundra steelies... 275/80R18 (35.3")

View attachment 2305383
s-l1600.jpg

I just talked to a guy who bought these. Super interesting size - I wish they came in mud terrains. BFG also makes this:

Maybe the thread name should be changed to Do My Skinny tires look fat?

I thought my ATs were skinny at 265.. hey seeing that last picture has me wondering. Would a bf KO2 265/75/16 spare fit under the rig?
I ran 265/75r16 k02’s before these and they are about an inch wider than these Geolandar’s haha. And yes those will fit.

255/85R16 on stock wheels with the spare tire lift mod and the spare disappears from behind a 100 with a hitch.
1589482451885.png

I know 235 85 16 is the holly grail for utilitarian look / skinny tire look

but what about 18 inch? I found 255 70 18. is there any skinnier one :p

I know 235 85 16 is the holly grail for utilitarian look / skinny tire look

but what about 18 inch? I found 255 70 18. is there any skinnier one :p
Funny you should ask—despite being very happy with my 235/86r16s, I was just wondering what’s available in 18”. And I couldn’t find anything over 70% aspect ratio for 18” wheels. So, yeah that’s about as tall/skinny as you’ll get. Very similar overall dimensions to a 235/85r16 (.7” wider and .4” more diameter), just with less sidewall. Tiresize.com is so much fun....

Been following this thread for a while and found a set of 5 wheels from a 2020 troopcarrier for a great price so I thought why not. I changed to a 225/95 r16 all terrain from a 285/75 r16 mud terrain. The difference in acceleration is noticeable, steering is lighter and braking is a lot better, more responsive to bumps. On the highway I believe the load on the engine is less (lower boost reading compared in same condition with bigger tyres). Interested to see the difference off road but haven't got the chance yet. All up a surprising and positive change in my opinion

Been following this thread for a while and found a set of 5 wheels from a 2020 troopcarrier for a great price so I thought why not. I changed to a 225/95 r16 all terrain from a 285/75 r16 mud terrain. The difference in acceleration is noticeable, steering is lighter and braking is a lot better, more responsive to bumps. On the highway I believe the load on the engine is less (lower boost reading compared in same condition with bigger tyres). Interested to see the difference off road but haven't got the chance yet. All up a surprising and positive change in my opinion
Pics please!

That’s taller and skinner than we can even get in NA. Would strongly consider that size if they were available here.

That’s taller and skinner than we can even get in NA.
Huh? That’s only 32.8” if my calculation is correct.

Yes, it’s not the tallest tire in the world, but I meant tall _and_ skinny.

An aspect ratio of 95 is (afaik) unheard of here—in many wheel sizes a 70 is as high as it gets.

This is 10mm skinnier than my 235/85s and an inch larger in diameter....

these were what were on my wheels when I bought em (70 series takeoffs) and I opted not to buy them because they’re unicorns here in NA. And they would’ve made shipping a LOT more....

PS--do you currently own all 7 LCs in your signature block!?!?!??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom