The ongoing saga of trying to get new tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So at the end of December I went to my local tire shop to get some new tires, they had a promo on Cooper tires, buy 3 get one free and a free alignment. I decided to try the Discoverer AT3 XLT's. I wanted 295/75/16's but they were not in stock anywhere close and wouldn't arrive in time for a trip to the mountains/snow I had coming up in a couple days and settled for 285/75/16's they had in stock. They needed my truck all day which was annoying but they were short staffed and I didn't have to have my truck for anything that day so I left it. A few min before closing time I finally got the call my truck was done. It was close to the kids dinner time and in my hurried excitement to finally have new tires I misread the date code for my tires on the paperwork, I read 41st week of 2023 instead of what they actually were 41st week of 2022. I didn't catch this until after our trip that following week.

Cooper tires recommends a 6 year tire life based on the date code on the tire and with the tires I just got being almost 14 months old I wasn't happy. So Cooper tires has a 45 day satisfaction guarantee and I went back to the tire shop and explained the situation and requested the 295/75/16's and expected to wait. A little over a week later my 295's showed up and I went down there to schedule my appointment only to find the replacement tires that showed up were almost 4 years old. So more waiting and just short of another week a new set of 295s arrive with a build date of just a couple months old. I schedule my appointment.

So round two of getting tires and things aren't off to a great start. The original advisor I had been dealing with told me to bring it in before 9:30am and it would be ready around 12pm. I arrive a little after 9am and the advisor I had been working with isn't there, the one that is there tells me maybe 3pm. Ok, I can move some stuff around and decide to leave it. Multipul times to both of the advisors that were there I told them I wanted white letters out, it is written on the work order, WHITE LETTERS OUT. Just after 1pm I drive past the shop going to get fuel for my wifes car and see my truck is up on the lift. I think great, should be done soon. I had been a tech most of my working career and know it doesn't take long to do big sidewall truck tires. Just before 3pm I get a call saying my truck is done but the tech didn't do white letters out and if I wanted it fixed they would have to keep it till sometime the next day or I could bring it back. Being a stay at home parent doing kid drop off and pick up I couldn't leave it.

I get my truck and as I'm driving home I feel it pulling right a decent amount but I had errands to do and couldn't take it back. The next morning I get my portable compressor out and check the tires, All the tires were 30-32 PSI except the right rear which was at 20 PSI. Tire pressures corrected it goes straight again. My yougest sons birthday is coming up next week and with the errands that go along with that I don't know when I'll be able to get it back to the shop to flip the tires to white letters out.

Doing tires isn't that hard, early in my tech days I worked at a Good Year tire shop for a few years. I don't understand why this shop has gotten something wrong on every visit and needed the entire day to replace a set of tires.

Thanks for hanging in this long. Here is my truck with the 295/75/16's, Cooper claims they are 33.3" tall. At some point I'll update with them white letter out and if there were any other issues with the shop.

20240201_141153.jpeg

They look good on there. When i need new tires, i take my wheels off and drop them off at a shop. helps to have some spares ( i realize not practical for everyone)
Doing a carry in with just the 4 wheels would be ideal but I don't have a way to transport 4 wheels/tires that large. Also having done every job at that shop replacing 4 tires once on the rack should have taken 20 min or so, I should not have gotten a call almost 2 hours later and one of the two advisors should have noticed that the tires weren't white letter out. Any time we had a comeback at the shops I worked at we were always extra careful to make sure everything was 100% when done. Not installing the tires as requested and not setting tire pressures correctly are some big thing to miss for a tire shop.

Maybe it's just extra frustrating for me because I have done all those jobs and know how easy it is to just take a few seconds to double check what needs to be done.

Stay on them until you're 100% satisfied, then never use them again.
I will. I may email their corporate office what has happened and see if I can get a credit to use at a different one of their chain stores because our van is getting close to needing tires. One of the things I miss most about not working in a shop is not being able to do my own tires and alignments because it's rare to find a place that does them the way I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom