What shovel should I buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gemplers.com for the Nupla shovel. All fiberglass handle and "D" handle. Won 't break like plastic. About $37.00

Is that fiberglass better than the standard fiberglass handled shovels from the hardware store? I've seen those shatter into a nasty mess quite a bit...

Shovels are like knives. You can't have too many.

I carry a Home Depot D-handle round-nose under the back seat with my pulaski. I used to have both of those on the spare tire mount but it was a PITA and this way they're out of the weather.
I have a bi-fold GI knockoff under there too.
I have WWII GI shovel there also. And a 3.5# cross-peen hammer.
The GI shovels are useful in that the blade may be put to 90* for dragging dirt, mud and rattlesnakes out from under the truck, or whatever. Also for moving live coals around for cooking.
I'm going to get a square-nose shovel of these days, just to even out the mix and to prove I'm not a shovel bigot.

Oh, and while an axe is a wonderfully romantic tool, if you need to cut a log for firewood or that's blocking your way a good bow-saw is far more efficient than an axe. Far, far less work. Axe beats saw for splitting wood, though. Better weapon also.

Hey guys, not sure if I should have created the new thread since this one is old, but I do have a question on the topic. I am on the fence for some sturdy yet compact shovel and found a couple of options that I can't decide on.

the first one is good old cold steel shovel that was used in the military for decades. Reliable but outdated
31g5UkFReML.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B00169V99K
2nd: cool looking modular tactical shovel. Looks badass and gives additional functionality, but looks a little flimsy to me and possibly overpriced.
ttsh-002-13.jpg

Any suggestions on what would be the better option?

Of the two, I would go for the first one. Ultra beefy and nothing to go wrong. That tactical one looks like garbo. For a smaller shovel, I would say a T-handle or even better, a D-handle is crucial.

The Tact-I-Cool one is designed for the Urban Warrior Overlander, but is now considered an "Assault Shovel" and banned in California!!

quick ? does the shovel get used as a tool or is it just for bling blang? if a working tool i'd suggest forged blade vs stamped with a good hardwood handle. length, what ever you comfortable using.
with the forged blade, the business edge will be considerably longer in rounding over and a quick lick with a file restores it without compromising strength. also, in heavy soil the blade won't flex near as much resulting in movin' $h!t faster. clean n oil after use
handle care is simple, bees wax once a year if constantly exposed to weather. google treating staves/walking sticks with bees wax. easy process.
in the winter i carry an aluminium grain shovel, d-handle. moves snow like a badger does dirt

Emergency access to a shovel is a must, on the trail.

But, the majority of the time, it’s used more for mundane tasks, like covering hot coals, than for digging out your truck.

If “profiling” is key, find a functional shovel that makes your chest puff out.

If function is key, find a functional shovel that fits your hands comfortably and leaves money in your wallet.

Personally, I carry three shovels because I prefer a folding military shovel for toilet doodie and a 4” shovel for digging up gold nuggets.

All three are good functional shovels, but none will make your chest puff out, or empty a wallet. ;)

I drove my 80 series from 1997 to 2010 stock with no lockers. I bought it as a hunting vehicle and wasn't shy about using it. I learned to hate shovels. I have spent 3 hours digging my truck out of mud more than once so I made modifications so I wouldn't need a shovel. So far, I haven't gotten stuck since I added lockers, a winch and good mud tires. With that said, a shovel that won't break and has a long handle is your best bet. You can apply more torque to a longer handle so you can dig faster. Home Depot and Lowe's both have shovels that fit the bill. Remember your leather gloves. Digging out will give you blisters.

I shovel is a tool I would not be without. Strapped to the outside of the rig, it takes up no room and is essential / required for campfires. It also does duty for lots of other tasks, including pooping. Get a good shovel and you'll have it forever.

How does everyone secure their shovel on the outside in a way that balances accessibility vs. security from theft?

How does everyone secure their shovel on the outside in a way that balances accessibility vs. security from theft?
I have mounts (from Gobi) for my shovel on my Gobi rack that let me lock it to the rack. It’s great having it right there but the big pain now is that I don’t have a stainless steel shovel so the rust kind of bleeds down the side of the vehicle. The loss of real estate doesn’t affect me now but if I wanted camp lights, awning, or rack mounted shower stall, it eventually will get in the way. Whenever I get a rear bumper it will be great to strap it back there.

I consulted a professional, Biological Systems Engineer, to find out what they recommend. As a professional of all things dirt related, they said

"I was partial to the Pony 00

I would say get the one that suits the angle you want to dig at, and if you're not going to use it very often, get one with a fiberglass or aluminum handle. If you use it a lot, go with wood handle. "

Ames 1258200 47 in Wood Handle No. 00 Irrigating Pony Round Point Shovel - Walmart.com

There, farmer approved.

Hey guys, not sure if I should have created the new thread since this one is old, but I do have a question on the topic. I am on the fence for some sturdy yet compact shovel and found a couple of options that I can't decide on.

the first one is good old cold steel shovel that was used in the military for decades. Reliable but outdated
31g5UkFReML.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B00169V99K
2nd: cool looking modular tactical shovel. Looks badass and gives additional functionality, but looks a little flimsy to me and possibly overpriced.
ttsh-002-13.jpg

Any suggestions on what would be the better option?
For the most part don’t buy anything with the word “tactical” in the name. It’s mostly overpriced crap made for urban warriors rollin on 35’s with a safari rack, tons of Velcro, MOLLE, ... that will never see dirt.

As for what shovel for my rig I’m a big fan of real surplus “GI” shovels. Here is one in the sportsman’s guide I just got.

image.jpg

I have snow shovel from DMOS, extremely sturdy. They have a new off road shovel coming out.

In Oregon, you are required to carry a shovel during fire season (along with a fire extinguisher or 1 gallon of water). And I believe it must have at least a 26" handle and a 8" wide blade (it might be 6" blade). Little fold up shovels aren't going to meet the requirements. And have you ever tried digging out a rig with a fold up mini shovel? I've done it before and the word "sucked" does not do it justice.

That Krazy Beaver unit looks nice. I basically carry something similar but without the crazy teeth. However, there are times when I wish I had a long handled shovel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom