What shovel should I buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try one of these.

shovel.jpg

I bought something cheap at Lowes or HD that had a D-handle and a smaller blade. Contrary to many that like to accessorize their roof racks with cool stuff....mine gets used on almost every outing. Mostly around the campfire, but occasionally to plug holes in the trail or dig my wheels out.
WNC2009-10 (233).jpg

I use a couple of Quick Fists mounted to my roof rack plus a "safety" ziptie.
2010-12-31_Cove (163).jpg

WNC2009-10 (233).jpg

2010-12-31_Cove (163).jpg

I have an old wooden spade that I painted to keep from rusting. It works prefer for the time you need the handle, and the blade is long enough to swing it around as a zombie melee weapon.

Get a shovel that you can lift when it is full....1000 times. I can't help with the 'cool' part.

Whatever is easiest to bury dead hookers with.

If you do not want to carry it on your rig, get one of these to keep in yuour rig.
I have one, and it also doubles as a pick, axe, and a sledge.
I store mine behind the drivers seat in its bag.

Hi-Lift Jack HA-500 Handle-All Multi-Purpose Tool

1.jpg

71PXiX%2BchvL._SL1500_.jpg

I keep a folding one in the tool bag. Mainly used for camp fires and digging holes in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

a std long handle spade shovel works best, sometimes you need the long handle to get way under the vehicle

^^^ I use a standard $8.00 Home Depot wood handled full size shovel. With $5.00 quick fists I'm my roof rack. Wood handle can't be beat. Especially for moving logs and shoveling coals in the fire pit. Don't waste your money on some cool chromed out shovel with a light weight fiber glass handle.

I bought a sweet ass light weight sharp gerber splitting axe. The handle was broken in less the 15 minutes on a camping trip. Better to spend the money on a all metal east wing demo axe.

By the way to the OP. This is one of the Gheyest posts I have read.

^^^ I use a standard $8.00 Home Depot wood handled full size shovel. With $5.00 quick fists I'm my roof rack. Wood handle can't be beat. Especially for moving logs and shoveling coals in the fire pit. Don't waste your money on some cool chromed out shovel with a light weight fiber glass handle.

I bought a sweet ass light weight sharp gerber splitting axe. The handle was broken in less the 15 minutes on a camping trip. Better to spend the money on a all metal east wing demo axe.

By the way to the OP. This is one of the Gheyest posts I have read.

The Fiskars shovel I referenced is not made to look pretty--it's pretty much just a stout steel pipe with a nice shovel welded to it. Nothing but steel, and the best foot-holds I've ever used.
I have several Fiskars axes and hatchets; what the hell did you do to break one?

The Fiskars shovel I referenced is not made to look pretty--it's pretty much just a stout steel pipe with a nice shovel welded to it. Nothing but steel, and the best foot-holds I've ever used.
I have several Fiskars axes and hatchets; what the hell did you do to break one?

I wasn't referencing your post.

The axe I had is the same as the fiskars. My buddy decided to use it as a maul and hit the handle with the sledge in 20 degree weather.

Interesting; I've beat the hell out of mine and never had one break.

Its not cool for a roof rack, but I keep an E-Tool in every vehicle. They fit perfectly in the rear side storage panels out of sight.
the 90° angle option comes in handy when prying up rocks and dragging them over to fill in ruts.
I get them for about $20 with a case at gun shows.
Still light enough to carry when hiking too.

I carry bigger better tools if I'm expecting trouble, and friends to use them while I supervise.

You can't really look cool when your truck is immobilized in goopy s*** or up to the frame in sand/snow...

I use mine all winter to split wood. Best axe I've ever owned. I'd love to pick up a shovel too, but they are unobtanium around here.

Get a shovel that you can lift when it is full....1000 times. I can't help with the 'cool' part.
The biggest mistake I see people make is filling the shovel every time. Watch laborers move dirt; they swing the shovel with less than half a shovel load every time. They do it without stopping and quickly. It's amazing how fast you can move a yard of dirt that way.

OP: It's a shovel, cheap or expensive they all work the same. For a truck get a short round point shovel with a D handle, it is all around the most useful configuration for travel and camping. Long handle shovels are a PITA if you need to dig under your truck, square points suck for digging. The D handle helps when chopping through roots or hard packed soil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom