What Roof rack for a Canoe? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been going from Bay Area CA to Sierras for 15 years with my 16' 60 pound canoe. Last four with LC, Thule bars, and Thule canoe kit (nice cam straps and bar guides). I like to fish when weather is bad so often hit high winds and have never had a problem. I do highly recommend front and back ratcheting straps qespecially if off road (very solid). If you want protection for gunwales pipe insulation and duct tape works great for a season. Enjoy.

I used a Wilderness Roof Rack on my 60 series and carried 2 kayaks on top of that regularly. The bars were thin enough to be able to get tie down straps onto the rack easy enough. I've also carried kayaks on a standard Yakima rack with no issues either.

Lots of good advice here.

I have used mostly Thule racks for canoes and kayaks, and sold/installed/loaded lots of both Thule and Yakima. Both are very versatile. Last time I hauled a canoe it was from Tucson to the Rio Yaqui (Sonora, Mexico) and I used my 6.5 foot Confer rack with pads on the bars.

I think a rack set from Thule or Yakima would work great for you and can be found in most larger cities.

The stock rack works great for canoes.

You must have a different stock rack than me. I barely trust mine for skis.

The Gamiviti racks will work with Yakima accessory attachments. Then you get both. An expo style rack and the ability to carry anything Yakima makes a mount for. http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_roofracks.html

Personally I have a Yakima set up for my canoe and it works great. I'm in the process of building my own expo style rack that will work with all my existing Yakima stuff too.

I've been using a Thule setup and it works pretty well.

To secure the canoe, I cut of the "hooks" off a pair of ratchet straps and installed rings (two rings welded together with the joints at 180 degrees to on another). I always hated when you hooked one side of the ratchet strap, threw the other end over the canoe and by the time you tried to hook the final end, the initial end had fallen free. With the rings, this is never an issue. I tie the bow line (painter) to the bumper for extra insurance, but it is not needed.

DSC_0019.jpg
DSC_0095.jpg
DSC_0296.jpg

sorry nothing to do with roof racks but Chaldean what front bumper do you have? I am however currently looking for a good rack to carry two canoes on my 62 so hence I'm here browsing.

x2

Been going from Bay Area CA to Sierras for 15 years with my 16' 60 pound canoe. Last four with LC, Thule bars, and Thule canoe kit (nice cam straps and bar guides). I like to fish when weather is bad so often hit high winds and have never had a problem. I do highly recommend front and back ratcheting straps qespecially if off road (very solid). If you want protection for gunwales pipe insulation and duct tape works great for a season. Enjoy.

I have been doing the same thing. I have Thule aero bars and they are compatible with ski racks as well. I have had lots of different cars/racks. For me Thule is strong, looks great, and interchangeable parts. I love mine.

I like the gamviti or the diamond rax. Both are full length racks that are flat. They would both be great for a canoe or many other purposes.

The simplest way is to get the foam block kit from Old Town (see the blue blocks on the roof). We put 1000 miles on this rig on and offroad with no issues. I like to tie my Ancra tiedown so that the are easy to adjust when stopping. I used two straps on the back, one hooks to the canoe seat which is roughly above the cruisers side window, that helps keep it from sliding forward. The other rear tie goes to the bow and the receiver hitch. The front has three, one to the bumper and two to the mirror mounts.

DianaFJ40Shasta.jpg

Bought the old school Yakima risers and 78" crossbars with Yakima Canoe Gunwale mounts. I bought the 78" bars thinking I might be able to mount both my Canoe's at once. Could be intresting with 2 at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom