what is THIS for? well whatever it is it's leaking... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hole in the head

Did Toyota ever fix this? I've looked and looked on my 3FE ever since the first time I read about this and I can't see anything that looks like a plug in that area. Do I need to start scraping off paint or something. I do not see any oil seeping there.

I know this is an old thread, but since it is sticky, I have the same question as dwillmo. Mine is an 88 fj62 and I don't see a plug. Am I missing it, or did Toyota get smart by the time they built the 3fe?

I know this is an old thread, but since it is sticky, I have the same question as dwillmo. Mine is an 88 fj62 and I don't see a plug. Am I missing it, or did Toyota get smart by the time they built the 3fe?
No it is there unless somebody tapped it . It is right at the number 5 cylinder I think.....you really need to stretch your neck to see it.

i have just a quick question, can you stick a oil pressure sender in that hole or isnt there enough pressure??

yeah i was just wondering cause i want to setup an aftermarket oil gauge and keep the stock one but thanks

yeah i was just wondering cause i want to setup an aftermarket oil gauge and keep the stock one but thanks
I would dump the stock one honestly. It was a good idea for a gauge for the top half independent of the normal one to insure oil is getting to the top half.....never heard of it but nevertheless a good idea.

middleburg62:

Shaun

I hooked mine up with a tee and I have the ability to have both, though my stock sender started leaking and I now only have my after market gauge hooked up. I can show you what you need next time you are over at the house.

John

Thanks to the forum

So I had this leak that appeared to be coming from the valve cover...I replaced the gasket and its still leaking. In the process of identifying where it is coming from I notice an odd looking projection in the head cast next to the #5 spark plug. I thought it was just a cast imperfection or something, but I took a pick and messed with it a bit with no luck. Suddenly, my leak was MUCH worse! I knew the IH8MUD forum would have and answer. I knew it must be some quirky oil galley plug or something. Sure enough, right here I found the explaination and how to fix it as well.
I took care of mine right in the rig. I peeled back all of the wires and plumbing around the area and used a M8x1.25 tap/drill kit I purchased at NAPA to take care of the threading. I greased the tap and drill well to collect any shavings-no problem. I inserted a 8x1.25 allen head set screw with permatex hard setting sealant. Luckily, I had a weekend to allow the sealant to cure prior to driving. The Montana winter wasn't my friend for this repair. I'm now back to no leaks! The information in the forum was priceless, thanks to those who tok the time to post (especially with photos!). I keep the old plug in my glovebox for good luck.:cheers:

I just saw this, let me put my $.02 in, I use a 5/16" x 24 tap, no drilling required, then I install 2 allen head plugs one deep, and lock it in place with a second. Red loctite on both.
I have done at least 30 heads like this, SOP on all my head work or overhauls...........
Butch

I just saw this, let me put my $.02 in, I use a 5/16" x 24 tap, no drilling required, then I install 2 allen head plugs one deep, and lock it in place with a second. Red loctite on both.
I have done at least 30 heads like this, SOP on all my head work or overhauls...........
Butch

Thank you for sharing Butch! Could this be done with head in place? Or is it necessary to remove head?

If you drill the hole out, clean it up and start the motor for a short while. It won't hurrt the motor, and it will clean EVERYTHING out of the hole you just drilled ;)

BTW, cover it with rags ;)

x2....and cast is sooooooooo easy to drill and tap
If you drill the hole out, clean it up and start the motor for a short while. It won't hurrt the motor, and it will clean EVERYTHING out of the hole you just drilled ;)

BTW, cover it with rags ;)

naaaa man leave the head on;)

Kewl. Thanks. Tapping the existing hole sounds like a better plan for me. I'm sure I would find a way to fawk it up if I were to start drilling.

Great way to clean it out too.

Use oil at least if you are not going to drill first. Then clean the hole real good.....maybe even a shop vac. YOU dont want to clog any oil passages or get metal shavings in the oil pump......or anywhere
Kewl. Thanks. Tapping the existing hole sounds like a better plan for me. I'm sure I would find a way to fawk it up if I were to start drilling.

Great way to clean it out too.

Use oil at least if you are not going to drill first. Then clean the hole real good.....maybe even a shop vac. YOU dont want to clog any oil passages or get metal shavings in the oil pump......or anywhere

Are you saying use oil to tap the hole? Then clean out the hole after tapping with shop vac. Then Mace's method of cleaning out hole. Then I'm ready for loctite and plugs. ????

I do this mod with the head off, however if you coat the tap with grease, all the chips will stay in this grease. After tapping blow a little brake clean in, then install the plugs.
If you are that concerned remove the valve cover and the head bolt, stuff the hole like described above.
Personally I don't think using the method I describe you will get any debris in the motor....... This is how Chrysler tells techs to install fittings in aluminum intakes using grease.
Butch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom