What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (143 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some of us who have revolved around the sun a lot like to get butt-hurt when people "call it an FJ." I think that goes back to when the FJ Cruiser was teased and many of us were disappointed to see it had minivan tires and IFS.
This just reminded me. One of my co-workers said, "FJ stands for fake jeep."

Removed the carb and heat shield. Soaking the manifold nuts/bolts to “hopefully” replace the intake gasket and get this build back on the road for the first time in 11 years. View attachment 3197920
Make sure you take a look down at the bottom of the intake manifold while the carb is off to make sure it isn’t cracked.... many times they are.

This just reminded me. One of my co-workers said, "FJ stands for fake jeep."
I spotted this guy a few years ago

1671640364921.jpeg

I don't want to offend. However, the old cartographers used the term "jeep" when they marked it a "jeep road." These were folks, working under some kind of federal whatever. And you and I are probably correct in that they drove vehicles with Detroit badges, they ate individually wrapped slices of cheese, and they largely built the United States that we regularly visit when wheeling today. I'm thinking USGS maps from the 80's and Forest Service maps from the 90's, also State geological and mining agencies. A jeep road is a single lane entity that requires high clearance and 4wd; t is not some dusty washboard thing that gets graded regularly.

I wouldn't broadcast to Utah that it isn't "slickrock" but, it is a really common thing called sandstone. I'm not to critique in the first place, and, no way should I speak for Utah. Apparently the early settlers started calling it, "slickrock."

When the over-employed hottie serving me espresso shots asked if it is an FJ. Come on, she if from Boulder Colorado - trap question, she probably learned to drive on one. "Yes it is an FJ." Maybe she if fluent in jeep and, it isn't a CJ, XJ, YJ, TJ? I don't know about Jeeps, other than I think that they are cool when you tone their appearance down, and they aren't for heavy wheeling out of the box if they are old. Remember we are in the States here, and I speak American, which is way different than Canadian and English that I also hear. I can not for the life of me understand Texas, California, or New Jersey vocab., and I bet they are like what am I talking about anyway?

When you capitalize Jeep, it is like, huh? Is it Willys, Ford, AMC, MD Juan, Chrysler... Could you be more specific if you use a capital letter?

FJ-40 isn't an actual exterior body badge, and it really means a certain group of engines for a Cruiser of the era. But how it is used as a legal title is different/stickier. What I usually say has always been "40," due to the dwindled and impoverished collection of Cruisers I typically find myself around. Now for those who have herds of Toyotas, the amount of syllables gets you winded at any altitude, former smoker or not.

50' frozen waterfall. Five-dollar day permit for parking.

falls1.jpg

I had to cross this frozen creek, but, the ice sheet was really off camber in one spot. On my return it was pretty much liquid on top of solid. Super nervous because there was quite a bit of being on all fours and no margin of error unless wading is an option.

creek.jpg

You need a good rig because although the road is clear, there is no shoulder that you can count on. No fun getting stuck in parking lots. My Cruiser does not seem to complain if it has to march across a kinda salty road once in a while, but, otherwise I have a different set of keys for this.

Cruiser.jpg

I'm so lucky that I don't live in one of those subdivisions with rattlesnakes, mice, and packrats. Anything that doesn't fit in the garage is subject to being totaled by insurance for that reason. Coyotes eat the cats, so no help there. That, and you can't leave your garage door open for like a whole afternoon. I've spoken with people who apparently have lost more than one vehicle. Some dude, in the news, heard a rattle next to the water heater and had to be taken to the hospital.

My truck was recovered from a ranch that included oaks. The harness wasn't really that chewed, but tons of foodstuffs were in there.
These are suppose to be very effective. Amazon product ASIN B07D118ZRJ

These are suppose to be very effective. Amazon product ASIN B07D118ZRJ
Although messy, they aren't hurting anything. I think a cat or a skunk spends time under it, as the mulch shows something digging there. I do have birds fly in under the hood, so I'm really careful with any amount of antifreeze for any amount of time being spilled or leaking. It reminds me of a Scout II that I regularly check-out. That rig looks like a bird cage thru the glass during winter mornings, as it must be nice to get out of the direct wind for them. And, when I had my transmission out, it was kinda embarrassing to be looking out in the driveway and seeing rare wildlife taking up temporary residence on the rollbar.

If I was giving advice, I'd call it like Edward Abbey in Desert Solitaire - get a bullsnake for a roommate in your work-issued-trailer.

Although messy, they aren't hurting anything. I think a cat or a skunk spends time under it, as the mulch shows something digging there. I do have birds fly in under the hood, so I'm really careful with any amount of antifreeze for any amount of time being spilled or leaking. It reminds me of a Scout II that I regularly check-out. That rig looks like a bird cage thru the glass during winter mornings, as it must be nice to get out of the direct wind for them. And, when I had my transmission out, it was kinda embarrassing to be looking out in the driveway and seeing rare wildlife taking up temporary residence on the rollbar.

If I was giving advice, I'd call it like Edward Abbey in Desert Solitaire - get a bullsnake for a roommate in your work-issued-trailer.
If you regularly drive your vehicle, is usually isn't a problem. It's when you store it. I had a nice Cobra replica I built and stored each winter in my barn. They ate my electrical and completely severed my radiator hose. I didn't want to see it get ruined so, I regrettably sold it.

note 9 pics 849.jpg

note 9 pics 850.jpg

Although messy, they aren't hurting anything.

In a below-freezing cold spell a couple of years ago, rats took up residence in both of my wife's cars, and in a matter of days wreaked havoc on the wiring harnesses, insulation and etc. I was able to splice and completely repair the wiring harness in one, but despite many hours of splicing and reconstruction have not been able to restore the second one to full functionality. They got to the auto tranny wiring harness, and I can't get to that until I have access to my 2-post lift again.

The rats declined to have anything to do with either of my Toyota trucks, obviously preferring her Lexi. Posh rats, I guess.

I have never killed a snake here; we have Rat Snakes, Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, and Eastern Hognose snakes. They are all welcome, though I have relocated a rattlesnake and a few copperheads farther away from the house for the sake of the grandchildren.

We have had outside cats too; they were the best and most consistent rodent control, but unfortunately they are not the apex predators here and we have not been successful in keeping them alive. I have reluctantly reverted to poison to control the rodents.

I don't want to offend. However, the old cartographers used the term "jeep" when they marked it a "jeep road." These were folks, working under some kind of federal whatever. And you and I are probably correct in that they drove vehicles with Detroit badges, they ate individually wrapped slices of cheese, and they largely built the United States that we regularly visit when wheeling today. I'm thinking USGS maps from the 80's and Forest Service maps from the 90's, also State geological and mining agencies. A jeep road is a single lane entity that requires high clearance and 4wd; t is not some dusty washboard thing that gets graded regularly.

I wouldn't broadcast to Utah that it isn't "slickrock" but, it is a really common thing called sandstone. I'm not to critique in the first place, and, no way should I speak for Utah. Apparently the early settlers started calling it, "slickrock."

When the over-employed hottie serving me espresso shots asked if it is an FJ. Come on, she if from Boulder Colorado - trap question, she probably learned to drive on one. "Yes it is an FJ." Maybe she if fluent in jeep and, it isn't a CJ, XJ, YJ, TJ? I don't know about Jeeps, other than I think that they are cool when you tone their appearance down, and they aren't for heavy wheeling out of the box if they are old. Remember we are in the States here, and I speak American, which is way different than Canadian and English that I also hear. I can not for the life of me understand Texas, California, or New Jersey vocab., and I bet they are like what am I talking about anyway?

When you capitalize Jeep, it is like, huh? Is it Willys, Ford, AMC, MD Juan, Chrysler... Could you be more specific if you use a capital letter?

FJ-40 isn't an actual exterior body badge, and it really means a certain group of engines for a Cruiser of the era. But how it is used as a legal title is different/stickier. What I usually say has always been "40," due to the dwindled and impoverished collection of Cruisers I typically find myself around. Now for those who have herds of Toyotas, the amount of syllables gets you winded at any altitude, former smoker or not.
"The word "jeep" however, was used as early as World War I, as U.S. Army slang for new uninitiated recruits, or by mechanics to refer to new unproven vehicles.[10][11] In 1937, tractors which were supplied by Minneapolis Moline to the US Army were called jeeps. A precursor of the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress was also referred to as the jeep."[37] (Wiki)

In a below-freezing cold spell a couple of years ago, rats took up residence in both of my wife's cars, and in a matter of days wreaked havoc on the wiring harnesses, insulation and etc. I was able to splice and completely repair the wiring harness in one, but despite many hours of splicing and reconstruction have not been able to restore the second one to full functionality. They got to the auto tranny wiring harness, and I can't get to that until I have access to my 2-post lift again.

The rats declined to have anything to do with either of my Toyota trucks, obviously preferring her Lexi. Posh rats, I guess.

I have never killed a snake here; we have Rat Snakes, Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, and Eastern Hognose snakes. They are all welcome, though I have relocated a rattlesnake and a few copperheads farther away from the house for the sake of the grandchildren.

We have had outside cats too; they were the best and most consistent rodent control, but unfortunately they are not the apex predators here and we have not been successful in keeping them alive. I have reluctantly reverted to poison to control the rodents.
I have seen folks place a light in the engine bay and under carriage to prevent vermin from making a residence and “wreaking havoc”. Heard it works!

Working on getting a new project (68 FJ40) I bought on the side of the road in Johnson City Texas a month ago running.

Chevy 350 V8 with a 3 speed.

View attachment 3199432
Have a very similar set up. That electric fan did not keep up in the summer. Went back to mechanical fan and clutch. Built a shroud. Never seen an issue since. Have same radiator as well.

Have a very similar set up. That electric fan did not keep up in the summer. Went back to mechanical fan and clutch. Built a shroud. Never seen an issue since. Have same radiator as well.
have same set up, electric fan was underpowered, increased CFM and appears good, although today at minus 10 would be hard to know

Some of us who have revolved around the sun a lot like to get butt-hurt when people "call it an FJ." I think that goes back to when the FJ Cruiser was teased and many of us were disappointed to see it had minivan tires and IFS.
Exactly. The two vehicles could not be further apart, one is a legend, the other……well

Would love to see a few pictures of your fan and shroud setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom