What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting, I've never heard of vapor honing, I'm going to go hit the google-fu and learn something. Those pumps look amazing.
Yeah this was my first time having it done. Cool stuff. A gentler way of having the surface cleaned. It does take off plating but the final surface is clean and super smooth. Perfect and ready for replating.

1174C8CA-AC23-41EB-8964-10C4BB6C4F7B.jpeg
Pulled the F.5 and 3spd to make way for the 2F and 4spd!

I have some "what is this?" questions about the '73 that I'm rescuing / restoring.
1639257954880.png

Is this plug in the glove box for the drop light that was available OEM?

What is this knob to the right of the glove box door?
1639258015083.png

Are these lights on the apron OEM Toyota or some sort of JC Whitney 1970's add on? I haven't seen them on other 40's.
1639258095144.png

1639258124840.png

Thanks!

I guess I’m curious as to why oil was squirted in cylinders prior to startup? Also, if the engine was primed, why did you need to oil the rockers as priming it should’ve done that for you?
If the engine will not crank over, something is seized or broken and squirting more oil in the cylinders isn’t going to fix it. Did it come to a sudden stop or slow to a stop? Slow to me would indicate a heat/no lube issue where sudden would likely be a failure. Can you rotate the engine backward? Metal flakes in the oil? Strange or sudden noises before it stopped running?

I have some "what is this?" questions about the '73 that I'm rescuing / restoring.
View attachment 2862131

View attachment 2862132

Are these lights on the apron OEM Toyota or some sort of JC Whitney 1970's add on? I haven't seen them on other 40's.
View attachment 2862135
View attachment 2862136

Thanks!
Yes, plug is for OEM light still available from multiple vendors.

Lights appear to be add-ons.

@Alex Waddell

hey folks , thanks for the inquire

i am currently working with my DENSO USA Rep. whom services my commercial acct. here in the USA , he is also in contact and working with MY DENSO JAPAN Rep. too in Tandem , to figure out exactly just that and this ?

there is a tad bit of mystery , and a BLACK HOLE of OFFICAL DENSO info at least with my 2 contacts , and they are looking into it ., because i PHONE them and email them
every other day or so , , and well they know by now i DO NOT GO AWAY ! :D

i will admit openly where and how these UNITS are currently being produced right now DEC. 11th 2021 in a country outside JAPAN and OUTSIDE the USA , and i am surprised the JAPAN REP is having a hard time tracking them down ,

but its a COVID communication issues im sure of it ...

on a SIDE NOTE , BUT a DENSO, JAPAN Note :

- these are in my hands NOW and soon will be in yours too ! :cool:

- OEM First Generation Single Nozzle Washers JETS , OEM Period correct GREY just like they were back in the day , 100% JAPAN sourced DENSO made

-
Toyota / DENSO Japan Disc. / NLA the original
I am quite a way from doing my AC so please keep me in mind and keep me updated.

Today, I was swapping parts of my cracked F engine to the (hopefully) good F engine. Out of curiosity, I checked all the block stamp numbers to see how close in sequence they all were. I have 3 in the shop right now. 2 of them are about 2000 apart(25xxx and 27xxx) but the third has no stamp. It shows F Doesn’t look like the pad was ground down or anything, just no stamp after F. I have no backstory on the engine but maybe it was a warranty replacement or something? Just interesting.
956B1268-A036-43B7-8649-8C08FB605382.jpeg
B6983558-0C2C-4519-B400-621470E05DE9.jpeg

View attachment 2862131

View attachment 2862132

View attachment 2862135
View attachment 2862136

Thanks!
2nd pic is the light switch for the Map light/vador light. I have the nob that goes to it if you want it. Just PM me your address and I'll send your way.

Today, I was swapping parts of my cracked F engine to the (hopefully) good F engine. Out of curiosity, I checked all the block stamp numbers to see how close in sequence they all were. I have 3 in the shop right now. 2 of them are about 2000 apart(25xxx and 27xxx) but the third has no stamp. It shows F Doesn’t look like the pad was ground down or anything, just no stamp after F. I have no backstory on the engine but maybe it was a warranty replacement or something? Just interesting.
View attachment 2862379View attachment 2862380
Second what @4Cruisers said. I have the same kind of block in my 65 FJ40. No serial number = dealer replacement at some point after manufacturing.

Stock Nippondenso system? Are they available to buy from anywhere or have to go with with Vintage Air?

@Alex Waddell

hey folks , thanks for the inquire

i am currently working with my DENSO USA Rep. whom services my commercial acct. here in the USA , he is also in contact and working with MY DENSO JAPAN Rep. too in Tandem , to figure out exactly just that and this ?

there is a tad bit of mystery , and a BLACK HOLE of OFFICAL DENSO info at least with my 2 contacts , and they are looking into it ., because i PHONE them and email them
every other day or so , , and well they know by now i DO NOT GO AWAY ! :D

i will admit openly where and how these UNITS are currently being produced right now DEC. 11th 2021 in a country outside JAPAN and OUTSIDE the USA , and i am surprised the JAPAN REP is having a hard time tracking them down ,

but its a COVID communication issues im sure of it ...

on a SIDE NOTE , BUT a DENSO, JAPAN Note :

- these are in my hands NOW and soon will be in yours too ! :cool:

- OEM First Generation Single Nozzle Washers JETS , OEM Period correct GREY just like they were back in the day , 100% JAPAN sourced DENSO made

-
Toyota / DENSO Japan Disc. / NLA the original

NOW NOW , HOLY COW !

that's some Serious
Yellow ZINC Gold Plated Reproduction NipponDenso down there ...... :D

1639287887996.png

Last edited:
View attachment 2862131

View attachment 2862132

View attachment 2862135
View attachment 2862136

Thanks!

your that can be this once again.................

1639290081247.png
3E57BD1B-2DD0-484E-A068-BC33B58C2D19.jpeg
4FECE6D9-58AF-4691-BE3F-F11D55D25062.jpeg
757F1AAD-3E62-4611-8625-70F41CCD41C1.jpeg
B385D115-772F-47BC-A92C-91D465BA185E.jpeg

Last edited:
Second what @4Cruisers said. I have the same kind of block in my 65 FJ40. No serial number = dealer replacement at some point after manufacturing.
Kind of what I figured. Being familiar with Chevy cars of 60’s-70’s, they stamped identifying codes as well as VIN on the block, but warranty or crate motors got a different stamp and no VIN. Figured it was something similar, no sequence stamp means not installed from assembly line.

Kind of what I figured. Being familiar with Chevy cars of 60’s-70’s, they stamped identifying codes as well as VIN on the block, but warranty or crate motors got a different stamp and no VIN. Figured it was something similar, no sequence stamp means not installed from assembly line.

My 1/79 FJ55LG-KA

DSCN2525.JPG

I had the wheels and tires put on a couple weeks ago, and finally got around to taking some pics. Rustoleum smoke grey for the wheels and 31 KO2s for the tires. Wheels had a little damage after the tires were mounted, but a little touchup did the trick (I probably got a little spray happy with the coats and didn't let the wheels dry long enough before mounting the tires). By the time I'm done with this thing, it's going to be mostly rustoleum ... too bad they don't make a version of sky blue (it would be better than the POs respray attempt). On the tires, I was thinking 33s, but my garage is short (31s with a small lift is hard to beat on a 40 though).

Next up on the list of big stuff is a little body work and then seats (I'm thinking coral, but I don't know if I'm ready to take the jump) ... small stuff is just new headlights from city racer and a pair of front seat belts that I scored on eBay.

IMG_2267.jpeg
IMG_2268.jpeg
IMG_2269.jpeg
IMG_2270.jpeg
IMG_2272.jpeg

Cleaned up my alternator and started mounting my Vintage Air kit. Anyone know why they call for aa >50A alternator?

View attachment 2863299

View attachment 2863301
Because you’re vintage air unit has a blower fan which is going to add electrical load to the system which it isn’t designed for. So you need to bigger alternator to provide electricity for the new total electrical load. 👍

Last edited:
At some point, is so much easier just sharpening drills, and keeping the boxes complete, than it is to go thru a smorgasbord of buying individual drills, and drill sets. There are a few things not mentioned in the guide that I've already solved, but, this is the way to go.

View attachment 2861978

A machinist in the Navy taught me to do it by hand, but, rarely do you get the kind of symmetry required to not make oversized holes. A good skill to have, but, a total disaster for working efficiently.
I have one somewhere and never use it. I can sharpen by hand better than the little machine. That said I also have a universal grinder if I need something super symmetric but then i also have the means to just bore the hole and if it is super critical you're going to need a reamer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom