What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (47 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My cruiser lean is definitely to the passenger side.
30ED6130-9A24-42B2-946D-50B61D88C5E1.jpeg

Also discovered today that I took a pretty serious hit to the front differential. Anyone have any cleaver recommendations for protecting the front face of the dif and the drain plug? I know there are purpose built “masks” for some other cruiser axles but I’m not sure I’ve seen anything purpose built for a 40.

96B7A5B1-65E7-4836-9349-41A34911E142.jpeg

Replaced the lower water pump and radiator hoses that were not OEM with correct hoses. It‘s gratifying when you have all parts in your shop waiting for the day when you need them and making repairs quickly.
DDFD52A7-8A35-4A12-8DD5-A7CF4E5155B1.jpeg

A0B345ED-E46B-4D0B-A089-D9DFB6C6483B.jpeg

Tightened the U-bolts based off recommendation from @snaggletto . Front and rear were loose. Actually quieted one loud clunk in the rear end. I was truly surprised by how many turns I was able to apply to several of the nuts. Discovered I have aluminum shims in the front so I ordered steel shims from @orangefj45. And received some goodies from City Racer to give me a few small projects for the weekend.
1509891E-362C-43B9-9E28-1EB9E6841814.jpeg

Replaced the spring bushing that I blew wheeling I’m thinking I’d overtightened it.

View attachment 2556654

View attachment 2556652

but I might still need to loosen the U-bolts and try nudging things a little - the spring seems “cockeyed” in the mount.

View attachment 2556659

All told I was hoping maybe something was binding up and fixing this would address my cruiser’s gangster lean, but no luck...it’s still leaning about an inch to the passenger side.

View attachment 2556650

I’ve always heard cruiser lean was to the driver’s side. Would love to hear some opinions as to why mine is tilted right. I could always put in a leveler block bandaid on the high side but I’m trying to rule out there isn’t something else up before I go that route.

New shocks and springs, might still need to settle but I’ve had it offroad for a weekend and put about 500 road miles on it. Almost exactly an inch low on passenger side.

looks like your bent frame is bent
sometimes it happens when your frame is bent and that accounts for the bent frame look.

out by an inch is a lot,
the pic of your spring hanger is more than a thousand words

looks like your bent frame is bent
sometimes it happens when your frame is bent and that accounts for the bent frame look.

out by an inch is a lot,
the pic of your spring hanger is more than a thousand words

The thought has crossed my mind but I was able to get it mostly dialed in just by tapping the spring and u bolts around a little. If it’s out, I doubt it’s even by an inch. I haven’t run into anything else (ie obvious frame damage), weird alignment issues or similar that would imply it’s bent, aside from the aforementioned lean.

I finished my seat belt refurbish today.
96EA4B25-DDC4-4504-AF99-243810C25ADB.jpeg
21ECD11D-306C-4019-8009-B082A5B08D0A.jpeg

The thought has crossed my mind but I was able to get it mostly dialed in just by tapping the spring and u bolts around a little. If it’s out, I doubt it’s even by an inch. I haven’t run into anything else (ie obvious frame damage), weird alignment issues or similar that would imply it’s bent, aside from the aforementioned lean.
That bent hanger isn't helping your body lean situation. I don't known if you'll gain a full inch out straightening it, but it might be close.

My LV is still leaning after replacing the rear springs with OME +2". My lean is coming from the front driver's side spring. It's semi-obvious by looking across the front end at the angle of the front shackles. The driver's side shackle is angled forward at the bottom indicating a lengthened eye to eye for that spring. I'm thinking of having it re-arched.

Last edited:
Couldn’t find any threads on 40 series phone mount ideas. I had an unused switch hole on my dash that I mounted a Ram ball on with a t-bolt.

I have a Ram ball setup in my Tacoma that I love. In the Tacoma, I’m using this mount, which is great, but didn’t want to spend the $$ again.

Here’s the setup from Amazon:
1. RAM Track Ball with T-Bolt... Amazon product ASIN B00FE66K862. RAM Double Socket Arm Amazon product ASIN B000UGZTQO3. RAM X-Grip Large Phone Holder... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7B2NV4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

ABF364F9-58DE-40F8-B0A0-2E543F945890.jpeg

9A589231-4CA7-42E9-A2A7-71A6F1E0BE29.jpeg

Made new door cards and covered with boat carpet. I thought I'd try Gorilla spray adhesive. It worked out great.
IMG_2886 (1).JPG
IMG_2887 (1).JPG

Couldn’t find any threads on 40 series phone mount ideas. I had an unused switch hole on my dash that I mounted a Ram ball on with a t-bolt.

I have a Ram ball setup in my Tacoma that I love. In the Tacoma, I’m using this mount, which is great, but didn’t want to spend the $$ again.

1. RAM Track Ball with T-Bolt... Amazon product ASIN B00FE66K862. RAM Double Socket Arm Amazon product ASIN B000UGZTQO3. RAM X-Grip Large Phone Holder... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7B2NV4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

View attachment 2559583
View attachment 2559586
I like your solution a lot better than mine. I made a plate to fill in the radio, drilled a hole and added one of those magnetic phone bases. I then used 2 sided tape to hold it in the radio hole.
tempImageaFX0gg.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous 12/1970 FJ40 in for some love.

ED61FD82-D3E7-4A8C-98F7-6F9DCC88D462.jpeg

60,700 original miles. Always in the same family, not only does the son who grew up with this truck now own it but he has lifelong memories of it with his dad and grandfather.

It is getting all its oil leaks fixed, suspension refresh though no lift, knuckle job, major tune up (although it does run great) and some other things to just freshen it up and stop it from making its territory. ☺️

We truly feel privileged to be able to work on Cruisers like these. 🙏

Cheers

My LV is still leaning after replacing the rear springs with OME +2". My lean is coming from the front driver's side spring. It's semi-obvious by looking across the front end at the angle of the front shackles. The driver's side shackle is angled forward at the bottom indicating a lengthened eye to eye for that spring. I'm thinking of having it re-arched.

Oddly, I don’t think my shackle angles are even up front either, but the frame is dead level up front measured from the ground to the bumper gusset.

View attachment 2559583
View attachment 2559586

these work well but not as secure for offroad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom