What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 2008 has had Firestone airbags in the rear for about the last 4 years. I’ve used them to boost the rear an inch or so, and air them up when towing. This setup has been generally pretty good. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I towed my heavy ass Cummins FJ40 on a U-Haul trailer, and I pumped the airbags up to 60 PSI to combat the sag. About an hour into my four hour trip and... BOOM! Both bags blew. The truck handled safely, but I hit the bump stops on every expansion joint for the next three hours.

This weekend I replaced the rear springs and bags with OME 2721s. It took just over an hour, and is very straightforward. Hoping this setup does well for me. I don’t intend to tow as heavy as the FJ40 again anytime soon. Shown is before and after and the exploded airbags and old springs next to the new 2721s.

View attachment 2454360

View attachment 2454361

View attachment 2454362

View attachment 2454363
20200826_105631.jpg
I've found it just fine to put the 40 on the trailer backwards to reduce the tongue weight.

I’d be wary of PB Blaster on plastic. Might degrade/crack the plastic. Do some research/checks on it.....
Thanks, I never even thought of that. I wiped it down good after and will replace the darn plastic one with a metal one at the next filter change anyways.

What would've been a better way? Just curious...I searched the forum here but only found results on the 80 series threads.

Can’t post that picture without details on history and maintenance.
I bet he just adds windshield washer fluid when it gets low..... and that's it! lol

Installed new pads and rotors. Went with the PowerStop Z36 kit. So far I'm really happy with them - my brakes were definitely due for replacement. Probably could have kept the OEM rotors for another round and just done pads but I really wanted to go with a slotted and cross drilled rotor. The pads were down to about 1/8".

I tow a small off-road camper and do a lot of mountain driving and the Z36 claims to be designed for heavier trucks and towing. So far so good.

Install was very easy - even for a 2-banana mechanic like me. They were a simple drop in replacement for my 2014.

1603749403191.png

Installed new pads and rotors. Went with the PowerStop Z36 kit. So far I'm really happy with them - my brakes were definitely due for replacement. Probably could have kept the OEM rotors for another round and just done pads but I really wanted to go with a slotted and cross drilled rotor. The pads were down to about 1/8".

I tow a small off-road camper and do a lot of mountain driving and the Z36 claims to be designed for heavier trucks and towing. So far so good.

Install was very easy - even for a 2-banana mechanic like me. They were a simple drop in replacement for my 2014.

View attachment 2477741
Which specific kit number did you get? I'm looking on their website and they don't specifically list the Z36 as compatible with the Land Cruiser.

Can’t post that picture without details on history and maintenance.

So for a little longer post than normal...

I am the only owner of this truck, and it continues to be incredible. Bought it in May 2012. In June, 2012, took it on a 4,500 mile "shakedown" family vacation to Yellowstone National Park, the Dakotas, and then through the midwest back home to Texas. It's been on both coasts multiple times, and many areas in between. I don't baby it - it hauled hay for farm animals, pulled trailers with all kinds of crap on it, etc. I take it hunting every year, and I drive it out in the scrub and get pin-striped each time. I have not wheeled it or really done any serious off-road work. We drove to San Diego three years ago, rented an Airstream, then towed it up through L.A. and into Yosemite and Sequoia National Park for a week. Drove it back to San Diego; dropped it, and headed back to Texas. It handles nearly everything with ease.

I've said before: this truck takes me and my family where we want to go, when we want to go, and how we want to go. It's big, fast, safe, and dependable beyond belief.

Maintenance points:
- Toyota dealership oil changes under maintenance period
- 1 oil change at a quick-e-joint. Both the delaer and the quick-e joint lost bolts for the factory skid plates. Wasn't worth it at all.
- I've done the rest of the oil changes. Use Amsoil 0W-30 exclusively. I have run Jowett's filter cap since around 100,000 miles (I think). It's so good I bought a second one last year, planning for the next rig.
- One repair: valley coolant leak somewhere around 220,000 miles. Truck never stranded me; just ran hot and allowed me to get in to my favorite independent shop in Fort Worth.
- Replaced water pump and starter ("preemptively") at just over 300,000 miles. No issues, but felt it was time. Heehee.
- Replaced factory tires at around 50k miles; ran a couple sets of Michelin Defender LTX E-rated tires for the bulk of its life. These are incredible tires for primarily on-road performance. I got in excess of 90,000 miles on each set. (I need to get the specifics from my records, but these tires were awesome for lifespan.) Just put a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers on it at around 320,000.
-Stock suspension still. Yes, it is worn out and needs an upgrade. We rented a Nissan Armada this summer on a trip (where we had flown). I was blown away how well the LC rode (in its condition) compared to a new Nissan with 5k miles on it.
-Plenty of gas; I run regular unleaded 100% of the time.
-I don't care about gas mileage. See 2nd paragraph above. Ballgame.

Yes. I am going to buy a 2021. I just love the combination of this generation. Don't like all the electronics, but we're all stuck with that in every new vehicle, its seems. Hope to do some mods on the next one early on; but plan to drive it the same.

Got the Amazon special light bar mounted to the Rhinorack via the Stedi brackets. The Stedi brackets are stout, and the only off the shelf bracket I found that would allow a full width bar on the rhino rack while being easily adjustable and removable. Plenty of room under the windshield trim on the LX to run wiring.

E57210F1-2407-4DEC-97F2-C31638A8C4B4.jpeg
87C47DA2-61B9-4F42-BFE4-3FCD570FB43C.jpeg
2DB0406C-4B11-48E2-834F-ECE9BBB2D91F.jpeg
E4A941B6-3F82-4D72-AD15-F4DFDED94438.jpeg

Got the Amazon special light bar mounted to the Rhinorack via the Stedi brackets. The Stedi brackets are stout, and the only off the shelf bracket I found that would allow a full width bar on the rhino rack while being easily adjustable and removable. Plenty of room under the windshield trim on the LX to run wiring.

View attachment 2479503View attachment 2479504View attachment 2479505View attachment 2479509

That looks great! Send the links over, I need this for my rhino rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom