What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (52 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to build my own 100 amp portable power system for my LC. View attachment 3215865View attachment 3215866
This is awesome. Do you have a wiring schematic?
For those who asked for it, here is the diagram for my DIY 100amp Portable Power Station. In the diagram I have included the solar connector but in my actual build photo I have not installed it yet.
100amp Portable Power Station Diagram.png

Last edited:
@TreatSmash how functional is the refrigerator behind the passenger seat? I like that your head is as far away from it as possible when racked out.
Man its the best.

I had not even seen anyone else do this when I had the idea, I pulled out the 40% seat and used the rear seat mounts to secure the back of the fridge and screwed some big eye bolts into the holes the front mounts came out and used those to secure the front of the fridge.

You do have to access it from the rear passenger door BUT you can get drinks out of it while you're driving.

The only other down side is a relatively short person has to be in the passenger seat or else you cant get the lid up.

Also you'll almost have to use a Engel because they other brands are too fat. But Engel has a great dual zone 45L model that fits perfect and is a excellent fridge.

I am in the Army and a excellent sleeper, so the noise wouldn't bother me even if it was right next to my head so I can't help you there.

Finally because there are 3 seat belts in the rear so two smallish people can still ride in the back.

Man its the best.

I had not even seen anyone else do this when I had the idea, I pulled out the 40% seat and used the rear seat mounts to secure the back of the fridge and screwed some big eye bolts into the holes the front mounts came out and used those to secure the front of the fridge.

You do have to access it from the rear passenger door BUT you can get drinks out of it while you're driving.

The only other down side is a relatively short person has to be in the passenger seat or else you cant get the lid up.

Also you'll almost have to use a Engel because they other brands are too fat. But Engel has a great dual zone 45L model that fits perfect and is a excellent fridge.

I am in the Army and a excellent sleeper, so the noise wouldn't bother me even if it was right next to my head so I can't help you there.

Finally because there are 3 seat belts in the rear so two smallish people can still ride in the back.
Interesting! Ours is an Iceco that sits right behind the passenger side second row. Drinks are served by the kindest, most gentle 13 yr old I have ever had the pleasure to have known!

Quick question- what is the “official” distance between the OEM roof rails? I keep getting 45”.

I’m replacing my OEM crossbars with some extruded aluminum ones….

Trying to knock out the last punch list stuff before this weekend at Windrock in Oliver Springs, TN.

Successes:
  • Wired all my rock lights up, finally. I hope it's useful- used the Owl Expedition brackets to tuck those in right by the AHC globes. Pretty slick setup. Pulling the wires through frame, etc, and making sure everything is connected nice, away from heat/ pinch points/ etc., though..? Less fun. But it's done. Also- this is my first under-car light setup and I survived the 90s and Honda tuner culture without it. This feels odd.
  • Reattached my front recovery points after my bumper install earlier this year rendered them not fitting. Finding longer bolts was a pain, but I finally did.
  • Figured out my flickering foglight in the same bumper- it was NOT one of my connections. Just a loose spade connector. 😅
  • Added rear spring spacers to get my sagged OEM springs to work and get AHC pressures correctly into OEM spec. Between that and tuning the ol AHC up via a bunch of torsion bar cranks- truck rides better than it has whole time I've owned it. The big improvement was getting the globes replaced almost a year back, but this is huge too. It ...works! Like it's supposed to!
  • Cleaned up my remaining old K02 as a ~fullsize spare. After getting new tires on, realized the old spare was A) just a street tire, and B) it was hanging there under the truck with a roofing nail in the sidewall.
Didn't get to yet:
  • A mildly bent rear LCA needs more oomph to get off than my Ryobi cordless impact has got. It'll keep, will address down the line. I'll throw the replacements in the truck just in case, but those things are ON THERE at the moment. 24yrs of staying in place and they've got intertia.
  • Snorkel mounting- probably get done this weekend while we're there. I've offered to provide entertainment one evening installing the damn thing in the rain/ sleet/ freezing cold. We will see how that goes.
Big fail:
  • Tested winch just to make sure I had batteries in the wireless remotes, basically- and it is not doing nothin'. I tested it once I got it installed and it was OK then, but I heard an electrical arc yesterday, I think, and... dead. Fortunately half the guys I'm riding with have their own, but I was hoping this would be the weekend I got to test it. Guess not. Am working on warranty replacement, which I guess is the upside to Amazon, but still a pain.
And, just for fun, threw this on. Been riding the corner of my desk a while, decided it was time:

866E9625-9EC4-40E1-B56C-61AF54662DF1.jpeg

FA9FB28D-DC3A-46A7-9528-6DEF33CA4286.jpeg

Quick question- what is the “official” distance between the OEM roof rails? I keep getting 45”.

I’m replacing my OEM crossbars with some extruded aluminum ones….
They vary. Pull out a tape measure and verify. I used 8020 for my crossbars and blindly used the recommended 44" posted here on mud. They turned out to be more than a 1/2" too short. Trust, but verify.

IMG_20190610_171728.jpg

Spent money on 'fun' stuff, and finally got around to 'other' stuff. Calling it 'The Next 10 Years/100K Refresh'. Replaced control arms front and back, rear stabilizer bar, front diff mounts, motor mounts, CV axles, flanges (front), bearings (front), links, spark plugs, ignition coils, and a coupe of other bushings.

Let's see what 20 years in Texas does:

20230112_144746.jpg

20230112_144810.jpg

20230112_144839.jpg

20230112_144841.jpg

20230112_144920.jpg

They vary. Pull out a tape measure and verify. I used 8020 for my crossbars and blindly used the recommended 44" posted here on mud. They turned out to be more than a 1/2" too short. Trust, but verify.

View attachment 3217399
I just learned that apparently there is more than one style of factory roof rack (beyond two or three feet). I acquired a rack from a later model truck (don’t recall if LC of LX) so I could use the crossbars to help mount my awning. The rack is 10” shorter (no way it would work on my 2000), the mounting bars are narrower, and the crossbars were 3/8” longer(with plastic tops), so I had to cut them down.

I’d recommend ordering them long and then cutting to fit.

C23C062C-B202-4369-876A-4656A6953DAF.jpeg

96955CB2-977A-4F02-9305-D475E321DF23.jpeg

I just learned that apparently there is more than one style of factory roof rack (beyond two or three feet). I acquired a rack from a later model truck (don’t recall if LC of LX) so I could use the crossbars to help mount my awning. The rack is 10” shorter (no way it would work on my 2000), the mounting bars are narrower, and the crossbars were 3/8” longer(with plastic tops), so I had to cut them down.

I’d recommend ordering them long and then cutting to fit.

View attachment 3217430

View attachment 3217431

LX is shorter.

Trying to knock out the last punch list stuff before this weekend at Windrock in Oliver Springs, TN.

Successes:
  • Wired all my rock lights up, finally. I hope it's useful- used the Owl Expedition brackets to tuck those in right by the AHC globes. Pretty slick setup. Pulling the wires through frame, etc, and making sure everything is connected nice, away from heat/ pinch points/ etc., though..? Less fun. But it's done. Also- this is my first under-car light setup and I survived the 90s and Honda tuner culture without it. This feels odd.
  • Reattached my front recovery points after my bumper install earlier this year rendered them not fitting. Finding longer bolts was a pain, but I finally did.
  • Figured out my flickering foglight in the same bumper- it was NOT one of my connections. Just a loose spade connector. 😅
  • Added rear spring spacers to get my sagged OEM springs to work and get AHC pressures correctly into OEM spec. Between that and tuning the ol AHC up via a bunch of torsion bar cranks- truck rides better than it has whole time I've owned it. The big improvement was getting the globes replaced almost a year back, but this is huge too. It ...works! Like it's supposed to!
  • Cleaned up my remaining old K02 as a ~fullsize spare. After getting new tires on, realized the old spare was A) just a street tire, and B) it was hanging there under the truck with a roofing nail in the sidewall.
Didn't get to yet:
  • A mildly bent rear LCA needs more oomph to get off than my Ryobi cordless impact has got. It'll keep, will address down the line. I'll throw the replacements in the truck just in case, but those things are ON THERE at the moment. 24yrs of staying in place and they've got intertia.
  • Snorkel mounting- probably get done this weekend while we're there. I've offered to provide entertainment one evening installing the damn thing in the rain/ sleet/ freezing cold. We will see how that goes.
Big fail:
  • Tested winch just to make sure I had batteries in the wireless remotes, basically- and it is not doing nothin'. I tested it once I got it installed and it was OK then, but I heard an electrical arc yesterday, I think, and... dead. Fortunately half the guys I'm riding with have their own, but I was hoping this would be the weekend I got to test it. Guess not. Am working on warranty replacement, which I guess is the upside to Amazon, but still a pain.
And, just for fun, threw this on. Been riding the corner of my desk a while, decided it was time:

View attachment 3217389

View attachment 3217390
Mine (Smittybuilt) has a fuse in the control box that I have had to replace after a loose wire caused an arc. Might be worth taking a peak.

I didn’t listen to the obvious sounds of churning ball bearings the last few days and paid for it. Even in failure these machines are graceful as hell. The LX carried us through 3 hours at 1 mph on I-70. 5 minutes out of the storm and clear of traffic she threw the belt and we easily made it into a big rest area.
C4C9AF4B-0064-4A74-AE78-6815CD3BB9CD.jpeg

1 banana plus 56$ in parts and back on the road the next morning. Thanks O’reilly.
2E7D5754-F0D7-4208-8ABE-006CA6D028C8.jpeg

I didn’t listen to the obvious sounds of churning ball bearings the last few days and paid for it. Even in failure these machines are graceful as hell. The LX carried us through 3 hours at 1 mph on I-70. 5 minutes out of the storm and clear of traffic she threw the belt and we easily made it into a big rest area.
View attachment 3217845
1 banana plus 56$ in parts and back on the road the next morning. Thanks O’reilly.
View attachment 3217846
which pulley or idler is that? Was it like a squeal on start up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom