What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (68 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, last weekend I picked up my LC from @2001LC in Colorado after an absolute ton of work - rack, brake booster, axles, flanges, and a ton in between! Then drove it home 1,600 miles. 3 days later loaded it up and drove it 2,100 miles to Utah for winter! Cruised like a total champ every one of those 3,700 miles!

9EBFE363-1F38-4A86-B2A6-84E167049694.jpeg

Finally rcv'd SST part#09628-62011 TOYOTA PULLER from IMPEX Japan- they make this SST for Toyota $45usd+$25delivery. American version is $420 from other companies and forget tryin to order the SST from toyota parts dept. They act like you are trying to buy pieces off a giza pyramid. Clowns. Cumbersome process to purchase and took nearly 4months through IMPEX Japan as you purchase then get an email of potential delay then check back in search -packages-log back in and pay for delivery vs pay n forget. You will know the tool will work the second you get it for breaking upper & lower control arms from knuckle. I also purchased 5pc Maddox kit from harbor Fate. The longer adjustable (#1 in pic) probably would work but not on both unless you jack the vehicle UP to clear the LCA. Part is must have if you service your steering knuckles.

20221220_104557.jpg

20221111_143913.jpg

20221220_104557.jpg

20221111_143913.jpg

Been chasing a bad, strange, bobbling kind of squeal from FL every time I turned left. Changed the wheel bearings twice. Changed basically every part that seemed reasonable. Last part left was the knuckle, which was severely scored. Wasn’t sure if that could cause my issue but I did know it could cause bearing issues. Thanks to the favorable exchange rate I ordered a new knuckle through IMPEX. Got it installed and the squeal is finally gone!

Not sure if it’s too obvious from the picture but you’ll feel a few bumps/ridges running a fingernail down the spline.
EB8859A8-A9AD-440B-9EC8-AA97D1473F20.jpeg

Lots of maintenance this last week getting it ready for a road trip. New OE thermostat, new OE heater T's, new radiator cap, replaced the missing dust plugs in the rear rotors, new wipers, engine oil change, trans drain and refill, t-case fluid change, removed water spots from side mirrors, new rubber front floor mats, LED reverse bulbs, polished the fog light lenses. Fog lights are better than they were but once I can track down my wet sanding kit I'll redo them and make them better then put some Lamin-X film on them and the headlights to prevent future pitting. I was hoping to work on the aftermarket radio and see if I can figure out why only the front speakers work but I don't think I'll get to it before our trip. Next month I'll do the front and rear diff fluid changes so all the drivetrain fluids will be current. Couple things to do before the trip next week is get the headlights and fog lights aimed better, take out one of the 3rd row seats for more cargo room and mount my Garmin GPS. It's and older unit but I like to have it for the speed since I have oversize tires and my son likes seeing the current elevation.

View attachment 3197922View attachment 3197922
Changed my Heater hose Ts. Glad I did, as everyone’s experience- mine disintegrated. Actually just the driver side T did. Passenger T held up when removing, made my life easy.
I did the cold side this last week as well, PO changed the hot side before I got the truck. I can not figure out why they put the clamp tabs pointing down, made it harder than it needed to be getting the T off. Like you I put them pointing up so if I ever need to work on them they are much easier to deal with.

I did the cold side this last week as well, PO changed the hot side before I got the truck. I can not figure out why they put the clamp tabs pointing down, made it harder than it needed to be getting the T off. Like you I put them pointing up so if I ever need to work on them they are much easier to deal with.
Yup! Ngl the clamps facing down were really annoying. Trying to find the right leverage and angle while hyper extending your knees. The passenger side was much easier.

WOW!!!!

In another IH8MUD thread, I was turned on to yet another discounted OEM Japanese parts exporter… some parts are a lot cheaper, others not so much.

Motors Head Japan… heads up for y’all…

Compare domestic pricing with Amayama, IMPEX Japan and Motors Head Japan for most cost effective route to you. Don’t forget shipping time and costs.

Just sharing
Took almost 4mons w IMPEX for SST but an American version was $419 vs $65(delivered)

That's a tool to separate ball joints on a 100 series?
Yes! The special service tool(SST) that toyota prescribes in repair manuals to use. You can spend Hours! Beating the UCA's on rustbelt original knuckles. Or pop em easy with these. Tool definitely works on other yodas as well. I'm never using toyota parts dept again if I can buy it from their connect ;p

Someone mentioned to me in a parking lot the other day, "hey, your reverse lights aren't working." I swapped in a new pair of bulbs but still no dice, so started following the wiring back from the sockets. Found this at the hinge point for the rear tailgate after unwrapping the harness, three wires broken so cleanly it looked like someone had taken wire cutters to them. This was right at the flex point, and they clearly just fatigued from the thousands of cycles over 23 years.

When I searched here about reverse lights, lots of folks mentioning their gauge fuse blows immediately when going to reverse, this could definitely be a likely culprit for that, as if they hadn't broken so cleanly they could be touching each other or grounding out on the body.

Fixed this up and back in business!

View attachment 3191973
I directed some lady on facebook the other day to look here for her problems - old car stuff. Gotta love it. She was having fuses blow any time she put on her blinker, I think - just current going places it's not meant to.

Nice find and save.

Who knew a single ARB CKMA12 compressor would have enough beans to loosen the pinion nut on the rear axle...
mWeitzqqrbuqV2NO-ond_-Xz7SJGhwBbfPeNmWgyzZ7GX8l-TjYONaDvH8yu891gkO7Ob-zxClHla8f9m7qVWNEec1X3-qPViytEJxQErLxBIXYvwXD1fZZezPVrvHzVorXXhgoTsoOaPBcsa4SymubhEIeuXA1qyZ2dTAjZ0y7eoGggiRVS7mDLFrIuGse-1Qx7ebvO2b4i1MU7sclGOp8kSZ5hma0w3USxFxjYv2mm9lWjMpdFK5u1W3RIjQJCZ6w31cWW-oVgCMjn01k0DHydKkDM-7QMnjaN-0bpJr12rKq3MRyrgwTa6NWxvY1ZmeM3uQAlOtfj0WgN2qJpeXQuK6uHiIpMbZ_jD3AejikNbbHfJh96uTQnd5WcQ8xXj_vcyywzERSGzqXR1KtuoAAExU2JZSOAkKCNfc_9C1HO5HDYCiqoI-C2Q994kROMd4C_jfQXhQ318FZ5rf7uvnmzOCw9_vFWi4kSnwjfV2ZfzvmsCSyOqtlI-Yu0Cbd-W23-GrBMNU31MBqLcaf1LyZWi1p9N4IqkPlouX7CIwevRSgpMnx56iKXJIVsbhU6UMAwg33-cKmWJX4NVC_Spdm_Lj50N-K6cH48nXrqcVMrK8SjHSr0ofiznf_hsg1wrj_8pKbgkiIDVAdCUxWvpsaN0I-UF-bWr7ryju_GO_t0y_R89fJ4EvuQEI99oCTB2suHOKNIbT3HzAXILsNPaH9n-zrmcIA8j_zKhYsOcRK6orx51kg01x7FWM387Op29TsGuvfHOhAetG6-Lo4xqjORfK1nd-xUMwfdQ5_ZSLw1K6jC1FuvXep6NftQAiADQOw5QQdHTShowEVY0uqJsI_0EKxalD46CJJ0hBlzQMcyvFYlhVakugU_llXPtMVwO6cSF3q3kaCUKW7-3z7OcVFmDV5-tIaKWbBf-X44Xrg6mHZ-ZA=w444-h789-no

I counted how many turns to get the nut off. 8 2/3 rotations. The rear pinion seal has been weeping so I decided to replace it while the driveshaft was out.

Hello everyone just picked up my first 100 series! Have had one in the family for a while always wanted my own to do more wheeling. I got a 2000 Landcruiser with a lemon buyback from 2004. The previous owner held it and serviced it for 17 years. Got new cats for the car since they were stolen and have already removed the running boards. Nice to finally be a member!

Hello everyone just picked up my first 100 series! Have had one in the family for a while always wanted my own to do more wheeling. I got a 2000 Landcruiser with a lemon buyback from 2004. The previous owner held it and serviced it for 17 years. Got new cats for the car since they were stolen and have already removed the running boards. Nice to finally be a member!
Welcome! And definitely post pictures of your new ride.

Moved from SoCal to Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley last year. Got my truck treated with a rust prevention coating called PFC (Protection First Class). Its a lanolin based coating. I saw the results on a local suburban that was treated with this 5 years ago and then got a touch up once every other year and there was not a spot of rust on the undercarriage. And in the words of a VDOT employee I talked with "we salt the hell out of these roads in the winter". I just had it done but the results look solid. I'll keep updating after the season.
middle before.jpeg
middle after.jpeg
rear after.jpeg
front after.jpeg

Im curious about the lemon buyback. Any idea?

Was too cheap to buy a fridge slide. Made one myself from left over plywood, and a couple of Home Depot runs.

It slides and tilt. The gas struts basically slows down the tilt.

I basically copy the design from another company who makes this kind of fridge slide.

All the extra space below the fridge is for my gfs feet. We can now sleep comfortably.
20221223_134022.jpg
20221223_133912.jpg
20221223_133950.jpg
20221223_133936.jpg

Got the oil pan stud that I broke months ago removed finally, replacing it with an OEM oil pan stud. Tried the NAPA alternative but my local store said they don’t have it and partsouq.com says it’s unavailable. Here’s the part number:
0103C9CF-A65E-4109-9303-6A650A9F70B7.jpeg
90D4533D-2DCC-4901-ACED-A8A76F033C0D.jpeg
980B711E-306E-4DA0-924E-AC04E3CF7695.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom