What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those seat covers look incredible!
Did you install or have professionally done?

I had them installed by a local upholstery shop, I'm happy with the result. Don't think I have the time or patience to have done it nearly as well.

Looks amazing! I love the two-tone, I definitely see that kit in my future.

That is the 80 series 40th anniversary combo, which you can order from Land Cruiser Heaven, and it matched the color scheme of my 100 series panels/dash. My leather was probably the worst part of my truck, really looks a lot better now. I was doing that 200 series upgrade debate but really like how the 100 series looks on the exterior, and mine runs just fine, so decided to keep my old truck and freshen it up a bit.

Full disclosure, this is less of a "this week" post and more of a "last month an a half" post.

Back in early October I made a risky purchase on a misfiring 2004 LX470 with a massive hole in the radiator.

Despite my optimism, I discovered that the simplest explanation for the misfire was, in fact, the problem. It had been overheated by the previous owner which warped the heads and scoured the cylinders. Unfortunately the engine was beyond repair.

Over the next few weeks I was able to source a relatively low-mile 2001 Tundra engine, get the LX parts swapped onto the new engine, replace the timing belt, replace any hoses that looked dry or rotted, and finally install the engine.

This swap wouldn't have been remotely possible without all the help I received from all of you, both directly and from reading past posts!

Here is a quick photo summary:

I seemed like every time I couldn't remove a bolt or disconnect a connector, one of my friends would be able to get it in a matter of seconds.
Yay for friends!
IMG_6670.JPG

Out it comes, no turning back now.
IMG_6677.jpg

Getting ready to swap the oil pans, exhaust manifolds, oil dipstick, oil cooler assemblies, and intake manifolds.
IMG_0120.jpg

I got spoiled on my first timing belt job with the engine removed.
IMG_0140.jpg

After the install, the engine started right up. I was surprised that I couldn't find a singe leak, I felt like I won the lottery!

The only other issue I had was that the AHC would flash "off" after I began driving. Without having access to techstream, I unplugged each height sensor and narrowed down the problem to the front left sensor. $160 later and everything on the truck worked flawlessly.

And finally some testing. It's been up the the mountains three times so far. After many roadside bolt checks, I'm happy to say that it is holding together quite well.
IMG_6921.jpg

Looks amazing! What lens color are you going to use?
I'll probably run the amber combos most of the time, as they're supposed to have broader output, which think should be more useful. Haven't a chance to run them yet, so fingers crossed.
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 3.22.26 PM.png

i spent some time making some harnesses for the switch pro. i’ve been pretty lazy as i have the complete dobinsons kit to get installed but dude i talked to about doing it has ghosted so off to a shop it goes soon.
01CC707B-C178-408B-8A53-36C974BCFE75.jpeg

had some help from the two dummies.
959391DE-E36A-4D24-8EDD-01BC3024C482.jpeg

yesterday we took the utv’s out and the car on the right (my coworkers had a rather nasty from diff failure)
C6D866E2-029B-4DC8-88C5-8A7111EA5818.jpeg
3E14E8BB-06A0-414E-B8B7-C3FB44F8E243.jpeg

Unpacked the ARB bumper, driving lights, turn signals and installed them with the bumper still in the van. Cut off the lower end caps and painted. Might have got it all done this weekend, but when your water main starts leaking- there are other priorities...

822DAD2B-1A06-4D02-AE8D-88AAEDD7ABB4.jpeg

3DC4B53D-4843-44EC-B75A-2670D2D0B514.jpeg

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using 87 for years even when I traveled out west where the cruiser have climbed to 13,000ft. Not a single issue with it, I was loaded down pretty good too and at one stretch climbing that i70 Eisenhower tunnel in CO, I was pegged at redline the entire way up. This thing is a beast.
I have noticed a jump in mileage moving from PA to UT, and gaining 6100' in the process - When I was in Phoenix this summer the LX felt much peppier than I'm used to. "regular" here is 85 octane, and Walmart has 88 octane for 5 cents more, so I just get that. My Boxster, which "requires" 93, commutes just fine on 88 too, and I get 31mpg in the thin air - and it's been well north of 1XX. I used to get 16-17mpg, but it dropped after removing the running boards and repacking front bearings. 15 is good now.

Installed some Anzo headlamps with Silverstar Ultra bulbs. These aren’t as nice as some of the HID/LED conversions folks on here run or offer, but they’re not a terrible alternative. The LX needed some new headlamps and OE replacements are a bit rich, these are in line with other aftermarket options with regard to price. There is a little bit of wiring involved for the halos and the bulb styles differ from OE (H7 low, H1 high.) All in all, I’m happy with the result and the black housings play off the white pearl well, the halos look pretty good in person. Let me know if there are questions.

View attachment 2503472

View attachment 2503474

View attachment 2503475

View attachment 2503476
Any night shots of the lights, and their pattern? I really only need one light, but agree OEMs are pricy. I could buy the pair for way less than one OEM.

Any night shots of the lights, and their pattern? I really only need one light, but agree OEMs are pricy. I could buy the pair for way less than one OEM.

I can get you some, I still need to adjust them a touch. Out of the box they were aimed a little low, so I need to bring them up a bit. I can tell you they’re markedly better than the stock lights were, the cutoff is much more defined, I also think the Silverstar bulbs help a bit.

I have noticed a jump in mileage moving from PA to UT, and gaining 6100' in the process - When I was in Phoenix this summer the LX felt much peppier than I'm used to. "regular" here is 85 octane, and Walmart has 88 octane for 5 cents more, so I just get that. My Boxster, which "requires" 93, commutes just fine on 88 too, and I get 31mpg in the thin air - and it's been well north of 1XX. I used to get 16-17mpg, but it dropped after removing the running boards and repacking front bearings. 15 is good now.
Just did VA to NJ for Turkey day, 900 miles round trip, switched to 93 for the trip and still only averaged 12.5mpg. But I have ARB front bumper, 3 inch lift, 35s, WKOR sliders, 2 teenage boys at a combined weight of 430lbs and a wife that packs way too much. And I am not exactly what one would refer to as "slender" :)

2.44 (93) vs 2.22 (87) at costco with a 80 mile longevity difference, I think it’s worth it.
I just paid $2.29 for Costco Premium. ~$.05 more than Diesel retail is going for here. :banana:

i spent some time making some harnesses for the switch pro. i’ve been pretty lazy as i have the complete dobinsons kit to get installed but dude i talked to about doing it has ghosted so off to a shop it goes soon.
View attachment 2509374

had some help from the two dummies. View attachment 2509377

yesterday we took the utv’s out and the car on the right (my coworkers had a rather nasty from diff failure)
View attachment 2509375View attachment 2509376
Little kid has some SWAG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom