What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced fan clutch and cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor while I had things apart. I can't believe how slow I work, it's like I'm retired or something.... oh yah, I'm retired. Moving slow, but I didn't break anything! (My universal DIY mantra: "don't break anything!".)

Found an oil/atf leak - will monitor fluids to see what it is. Always something new to learn about.

Finished the Long Range fuel tank install.
1581609303697.png

1581609224833.png

1581609250491.png

1581609281958.png

Here is a detailed write up of the install:

Finished the Long Range fuel tank install.
View attachment 2209825
View attachment 2209816
View attachment 2209819
View attachment 2209824

Here is a detailed write up of the install:
35 gallons for $87? Here in Ca I pay that to fill the regular tank.

Got the timing belt and water pump changed. Now it's time to get her on the market!

So far this winter I have pulled out a F150, suburban, and Mazda crossover.

Everyone loves the 100 on Nitto Exo grapplers (for looks and bailing them out haha)

Finally got rid of the driveline vibration. Ever since I played around in the Badlands Offroad park, I had a super annoying vibration that increased with speed and became unbearable at highway speeds. Here's what I did:
1) noticed play in the inner tie rods and replaced both inner and outer ones with 555 brand bought from @cruiseroutfit . Got it aligned and found no improvement
2) Repacked and retight the front bearings (all bearings and hub flanges are new) - no improvement.
3) Noticed the right front CV boot was seeping - replaced it with a new OEM CV (after having fought with Cardone HD one unsuccessfully), Also installed a new axle seal - did not affect the vibration at all
4) Removed the front drive shaft and noticed no difference in vibration
5) Ran out of time, patience and swear words - had a local shop replace the rear drive shaft with new OEM and voila! Truck drive smooth as butter now!

Time to find some other trails to go bashing off road!

I added some anti-slip grip tape to my Slee sliders. The sliders do have a grip surface on them, but the outer tube perimeter gets slicker than snot when wet, and even worse with ice. I have almost slipped off several times and my mother in law almost took a helluva spill so I decided to do something about it.

I used this 2" outdoor grip tape: https://amzn.to/2v1qN8A

Simply cleaned up the tubes with alcohol and then put on a length of tape:

1J1Tayh.jpg

7Xr1Rfr.jpg

Vn6KIBi.jpg

sN9GlV9.jpg

Much better!

Last edited:
I added some anti-slip grip tape to my Slee sliders. The sliders do have a grip surface on them, but the outer tube perimeter gets slicker than snot when wet, and even worse with ice. I have almost slipped off several times and my mother in law almost took a helluva spill so I decided to do something about it.

I used this 2" outdoor grip tape: https://amzn.to/38s0Qxu

Simply cleaned up the tubes with alcohol and then put on a length of tape:

1J1Tayh.jpg

7Xr1Rfr.jpg

Vn6KIBi.jpg

sN9GlV9.jpg

Much better!

I like it.

For anybody else listening, rather than 2" wide tape, I'd go with 1" and just on the upper surface.

Got the passenger side manifold back on. Had the exhaust shop weld in a new O2 sensor bung.

Got the passenger side valve cover off and redid the seals (cover and spark plug tubes), got it back on, new spark plugs and coil packs. Now to tackle the more difficult driver sode..

Ohh I did tear one new spark plug tub gasket when putting them in. Used too small of a socket when pressing them in. Does anyone know of they sell them as single items from a dealership or only as a kit? I ordered a full kit of Fel-pro originally.

1581755283605.jpeg

1581755359381.jpeg

1581755387694.jpeg

Wasn’t too hard getting the covers off and back in. Gaskets/seals were pretty easy to replace too. Had a much more difficult time getting the exhaust manifolds back on!

Got the passenger side manifold back on. Had the exhaust shop weld in a new O2 sensor bung.

Got the passenger side valve cover off and redid the seals (cover and spark plug tubes), got it back on, new spark plugs and coil packs. Now to tackle the more difficult driver sode..

Ohh I did tear one new spark plug tub gasket when putting them in. Used too small of a socket when pressing them in. Does anyone know of they sell them as single items from a dealership or only as a kit? I ordered a full kit of Fel-pro originally.

View attachment 2211403
View attachment 2211404

View attachment 2211405
Wasn’t too hard getting the covers off and back in. Gaskets/seals were pretty easy to replace too. Had a much more difficult time getting the exhaust manifolds back on!
Exhaust manifolds are a totla bitch, glad you didn't have to deal with broken bolts. And yes Toyota sells individual spark plug tube seals.
Best of luck with the Felpro gasket. Mine leaked profusely upon installation and I had to redo with the OEM gasket almost immediately.

View attachment 2211403
View attachment 2211404

View attachment 2211405

I'm right behind you here with the same set for an installation. I think the current gaskets are original and leak like crazy. I've been using Fel-Pro PermaDry gaskets to fix chronic oil leaking valve covers on other Japanese engines for almost a decade. Old successful habits are sometimes hard to break. I could be in for a surprise with the 4.7L. So I'm keeping an open mind.

TIP: I put the seals in the freezer the night before installation. Freezing seals before installation and rubbing them with a very thin layer of silicone lubricant or oil lets them slide into place without damage. Also I will buff down any sharp edges on the upper part of the spark plug tube that might tear the seal during installation.
I've never had a bad experience using that approach.

Here's an interesting article about seal installation in the link below.

Did you receive a small package of o-rings with the gasket kit? I did and I can't see how I will use them.

I think I see you using Permatex Black in the corners to provide a tight seals.

I just noticed that Advance Auto sells individual spark plug tube seals.

1581769572608.png

I install VC gaskets and tube seals very much like the guy in this video. with good results.

I'm right behind you here with the same set for an installation. I think the current gaskets are original and leak like crazy. I've been using Fel-Pro PermaDry gaskets to fix chronic oil leaking valve covers on other Japanese engines for almost a decade. Old successful habits are sometimes hard to break. I could be in for a surprise with the 4.7L. So I'm keeping an open mind.

TIP: I put the seals in the freezer the night before installation. Freezing seals before installation and rubbing them with a very thin layer of silicone lubricant or oil lets them slide into place without damage. Also I will buff down any sharp edges on the upper part of the spark plug tube that might tear the seal during installation.

Did you receive a small package of o-rings with the gasket kit? I did and I can't see how I will use them.

View attachment 2211454

I install VC gaskets and tube seals very much like the guy in this video. with good results.

Small o rings are gaskets for the valvle cover bolts.

View attachment 2211454

i got a package for the valve cover bolt washers, I also got another package of O-rings as well. I thing the o-rings are for the cam shaft seals and oil distributor but not 100% on that. I couldn’t see exactly where they were needed at.
I didn’t need to freeze mine they slid in fine with oust finger pressing. I tore one because I used to small of a socket when final seating the first one. Just wasn’t thinking and totally my fault. I think mine had been replaced before because some body had scored the aluminum where the seals seat in the covers.

tha is for finding the individual seals!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom