What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Added the full length Front Runner rack to my LC! Just waiting for my Slee sliders and OME lift to come in.

20191011_134152.jpg

20191011_134141.jpg

20191011_134130.jpg

Well..... (backstory) Last June, 18 months ago, I had the dreaded brake failure alarm. Ended up buying a used master cylinder/booster pump off EBay. The pump motor was a little noisy, but not too bad. Fast forward to Monday night, I get the lights and alarm again. 🤬 Thank goodness for AAA. I get the truck home and start the search for a new booster pump. I check EBay and didn’t see anything that appealed to me so I checked Car-Part.com and checked locally. Got a few hits, most in the $400-$800 but a couple had “call for price” so I got on the phone. First one I call, I get a quote of $35 if I pull it, $50 if they pull it. I told them I was on my way! I get there and pay. The owner of the salvage yard goes out and gets a worker to go pull the “brake booster” off of a 2001 4Runner. (Booster pump and accumulator are interchangeable for my 98). When he comes up, lugging the complete assembly, the owner said that he was going to honor the deal as it was his mistake, but that was a $400 part. I offered to let him keep the ABS assembly and reservoir if he wanted it. He said no. I rush home and pull the booster pump/accumulator off the 4Runner MC. My neighbor came over and we proceed to pull the MC from my truck and swap the pumps. We reinstalled it and I started the truck up and didn’t hear the pump, my heart sunk. My buddy grabbed the accumulator and commented that it’s working. That pump motor is all but silent, I’ve always heard the pump a little, this is nice though!

Moral of the story, check Car-Part.com and cross check part numbers, you may get lucky.

Fixed a really bad driveline vibration.

View attachment 2115643

View attachment 2115642

Wow. Yeah I bet that improved a ton!

I started Operation: Aesthetic Restoration today. Lots of little things detracting from my truck's appearance. Yeah, I care about that.

Today's project was to polish out the hard-water spotted windows. They were pretty bad, and almost made the glass look satin from certain angles. I got this BlackFire glass polish from AG with a coupon and was impressed. I ran it on my PC with a 6" yellow cutting pad. Other than dirtying the pad with the residue from all of the black rubber trim, it went super well.

Befores:

20191024_163043.jpg

20191024_174710.jpg

After:

20191024_171754_HDR.jpg

Now I need to repaint that button on the rear quarter glass...
20191024_174651.jpg

20191024_174643.jpg

Also on this list are:

-Super detail and paint correction (it's been a year since the last of each), lots of touch up on chips and wet sanding on pin stripes. Ceramic coating to finish.
-Respray lower exterior window trim. Mine is spotting and looking less than great
-Respray/reclear the lower cladding. Mine look great when wet, but dried out when...dry. I've tried cutting and polishing but I think the clear is just too faded.
-Refinish wheels. I'll leave the RW rings rough because they do a good job protecting the wheels off road. The centers could be resprayed, though.
-Touch up paint on the ARB. She's taken some whacks in the last year and has looked better.
-Replace that fricken PS back door.

Reworked Baja Designs Lights in @TRAIL TAILOR Bumper to world with factory Fog Switch when high beams are on by removing Column Clam Shell and grounding trigger wire. Fog Light Switch Rewire for High Beam Use
Jason’s placement of the lights in the Bumper is absolutely perfect for light output. Cleaned up Winch wiring so it’s not seen.

View attachment 2115397

View attachment 2115398

View attachment 2115399
Wait what kind of sorcery is this? How did you score a @TRAIL TAILOR made bumper?
Location Location Location! Its a good thing for my 401K that I'm not closer, even still the Enabler is digging in.

Funny, If I'm the "ENABLER" .......... @fj80psi is the "CARTEL" of cruisers.. Every time he comes to the shop it seems I buy a cruiser from him... HA.

Andrea comes in the shop, sees a new cruiser and says... "Andy was here today wasn't he?!?!?!?"

HA

Jason

Funny, If I'm the "ENABLER" .......... @fj80psi is the "CARTEL" of cruisers.. Every time he comes to the shop it seems I buy a cruiser from him... HA.

Andrea comes in the shop, sees a new cruiser and says... "Andy was here today wasn't he?!?!?!?"

HA

Jason

Maybe I'll have to drive up from Chico some day and get some upgrades!

Chris

I am selling 3D printed stuff on eBay.

I have not purchased a scan gauge yet but I love your mount. Did you have enough slack to run the scangauge to the obd or did you have extend the wire?

Great job!

Last edited:
Been a couple months since my last post...School's back in. Recently replaced backup lights with new LEDs. Brighter and easier to see! Excavated our lot, added 18 tons of stone, built the form, got the pad poured, floated and cured for the LX's new "home." Forms are coming off this weekend and the garage is coming in December. Current 1 car garage is 11 ft wide on the outside. Even the Boxster barely fits. New one will be 24'W x 35'L. Plenty of room for all three cars and a nice work area.

Screenshot 2019-10-24 at 11.13.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-10-24 at 11.08.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-10-24 at 11.20.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Did you get it at a certain rpm, or a certain speed? Easy?

Not suprisingly, it got worse by the day. Also it was speed and load dependent.

At the last day it started vibrating 40kph/25mph, it was very bad at 60kph/37mph and almost dissapeared at 100kph/60mph. At speeds above 110kph/70mph it started again, agressively. So cruising at 100/62 was ok. The damage was probably from offroading and watercrossings without greasing the joints. Replacement is suprisingly easy, the part I used is from Terrain Tamer.

I pressed the caps out and in with a u-jount / ball joint press (screw type / harbour freight).

The pinion seal of the rear differential is also leaking now, already have the part, just need to put it in.

Last edited:
Also I replaced upper & lower ball joints. Upper one ad a little bit of play, bottom one had a lot, like really, a lot.

The bottom one was also squeaking on every bump and turn.

The tool for ball- and u-joints:
a.jpeg

Upper balljoint out:
b.jpeg

Lower balljoint replaced:
c.jpeg

Definitely!! Much better listening experience now.

I did the re-foam trick. $22 for a pair versus >$100 for something not as nice.

Ebay says this wont work but arent the speakers in the LX and LC the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom