What did you work on tonight? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Resurface the rotor. Replace the pads.

Not only can you resurface the rotors but you can also resurface the pads. Simply lay down a full size 8.5 x 11 Garnet sand paper on your dining table then move the pad in a figure 8 pattern. This will get rid of the imperfections and ready for round 2.

guess I’ll pull them out of the trash, I just gave them up as a bad job lol. You guys are awesome.

guess I’ll pull them out of the trash, I just gave them up as a bad job lol. You guys are awesome.
My local Brake Masters resurfaces rotors for $10.

TjjFLOP.jpg

CS-144 Alternator upgrade. Went from 80A to 140A. Plus my alternator was on its way out, it took 3-4 times as much force to spin as the new one. No longer sounds like a supercharger though :(

Yeah, yeah.....what's in THAT freezer? ;)

All, BEHOLD! QuantumKiwi: THE meat man!!!

So, a Delco CS144 fits mechanically but I assume, you gotta lop off the Delco connector and make it work with the Toyota wiring? I'm also going to assume you're going to run a second #4 or #6 awg positive and negative wire, in parallel with the current factory wires? Otherwise, you might be feeding a garden hose with a fire hydrant :)

Last edited:
So, a Delco CS144 fits mechanically but I assume, you gotta lop off the Delco connector and make it work with the Toyota wiring? :)
CS-144 Alternator upgrade. Went from 80A to 140A. Plus my alternator was on its way out, it took 3-4 times as much force to spin as the new one. No longer sounds like a supercharger though :(
Take a picture of that alternator connector. I might have something left over from the hot rod kit I used in the FJ40.

So, a Delco CS144 fits mechanically but I assume, you gotta lop off the Delco connector and make it work with the Toyota wiring? I'm also going to assume you're going to run a second #4 positive and negative wire, in parallel with the current factory wires? Otherwise, you're feeding a garden hose with a fire hydrant :)

Take a picture of that alternator connector. I might have something left over from the hot rod kit I used in the FJ40.
Yea, something like that. I'm gonna do a big 3 upgrade here soon with 2 ga cable.
The pigtail on the alternator is an adapter I got off ebay for 15 bucks. Could have done it myself, but this was cleaner and faster (and cheap enough.)
Here's the writeup I followed for anyone else interested: Toyota-4Runner.org - https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/135318-docs-cs144-alternator-upgrade.html

I just wrapped up an adventure with my low pressure power steering line in the 80. That line was hard to put on! Once on and closed back up, I then needed to bleed the steering system and ad more fluid and now I'm good to go!

Vince

All of the studs sheared off on this guy near my house so I went by the garage to get my jack and blocks.. He said nobody else even asked if he was okay. I gave him a small can of El Pinto Hatch Medium chile before leaving. I was given a small can of chile as a welcoming gift to Albuquerque by a stranger once and it stuck with me.
20210308_150152.jpg

20210308_155208.jpg

20210308_155212.jpg

20210308_155220.jpg

Tore the rear diff apart, trying to locate the source of a whine. Looks like pinion bearing pre-load was down to zero and the crush collar might've lost its mojo, maybe due to the extra power put out by the turbo, not really sure. This is a rear wheel drive 80 and with an additional 100hp so I wonder if the crush collar got more "crushed" which caused the pinion pre-load to go down to zero in-lb. Just a WAG as I'm not a diff expert by any stretch.

The pinion slid off manually vs pulled off by a puller so it might've spun in it's home position, thereby contributing to the whine I heard

I brought out my old OEM pinion to compare the home position of the pinion bearing and noticed that the current pinion is shiny versus the old pinion which is dull. That leads me to believe that the pinion bearing might have spun. :bang:

Time for a solid spacer I'm thinking. I'll order one from Cruiseroutfitters which is where I got my master rebuild kit from last week.

So it continues......

20210316_184230.jpg

20210316_175847.jpg

20210316_194429.jpg

Last edited:
Sarai and I just got back from the San Diego area where she drove the 4th gen 400 miles home, a lot of it through strong winds and through the curvy mountain highways (a first for her!). I kept an eye from the rear view mirror in the cockpit of this 1997 Toyota Celica GT. It's in far better shape than most of the stripped out TOTAL JUNKERS I've seen all over this half of the country, and even parts of the rest where dealerships want 10,999 for a 150k ST Coupe. No, this liftback was being worked on as a project by a guy and his son. He's a Toyota technician, used to work for Nissan, and really took care of this car. They swapped out a lot of the interior with nicer cloth seats, replaced a lot of missing trim, did the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, brakes, radiator... The time came and he doesn't want his 17 year old son in a 25 year old project car, so they decided to sell it. The kid wants a 350z but his dad already told me that's not happening either. We spent about 3 hours Saturday and 3 hours Sunday with them going over the car. I need to replace a distributor o-ring and either clean up or replace the EGR, and then take care of the gearbox oil. It needs an alignment, and I'm pretty sure it's sitting on clipped springs. I have a box of oem parts including original springs to put back on and make it feel roadworthy again. It needs one new wheel stud. For a 25 year old car, it rides just like my '98 Accord used to. The transmission feels better than my 2008 xD and it's 11 years older. 120k miles. I don't think I will daily drive it but I will take it in and out of the garage. It was a LOT of fun to drive back the whole way and I can't wait to improve it. I have been "working on" this acquisition for over a year now and it paid off.

IMG_20210411_202331_912.jpg

IMG_20210411_202331_937.jpg

Last edited:
Sarai and I just got back from the San Diego area where she drove the 4th gen 400 miles home, a lot of it through strong winds and through the curvy mountain highways (a first for her!). I kept an eye from the rear view mirror in the cockpit of this 1997 Toyota Celica GT. It's in far better shape than most of the stripped out TOTAL JUNKERS I've seen all over this half of the country, and even parts of the rest where dealerships want 10,999 for a 150k ST Coupe. No, this liftback was being worked on as a project by a guy and his son. He's a Toyota technician, used to work for Nissan, and really took care of this car. They swapped out a lot of the interior with nicer cloth seats, replaced a lot of missing trim, did the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, brakes, radiator... The time came and he doesn't want his 17 year old son in a 25 year old project car, so they decided to sell it. The kid wants a 350z but his dad already told me that's not happening either. We spent about 3 hours Saturday and 3 hours Sunday with them going over the car. I need to replace a distributor o-ring and either clean up or replace the EGR, and then take care of the gearbox oil. It needs an alignment, and I'm pretty sure it's sitting on clipped springs. I have a box of oem parts including original springs to put back on and make it feel roadworthy again. It needs one new wheel stud. For a 25 year old car, it rides just like my '98 Accord used to. The transmission feels better than my 2008 xD and it's 11 years older. 120k miles. I don't think I will daily drive it but I will take it in and out of the garage. It was a LOT of fun to drive back the whole way and I can't wait to improve it. I have been "working on" this acquisition for over a year now and it paid off.

View attachment 2642926
View attachment 2642927
Nice! I am sure you will enjoy that. I have a 2000 Celica GT with 125,000 miles (I am the original owner from American Toyota). It's not the fastest vehicle on the road with its 1.8 liter 140 HP engine and a manual five speed, but it's a lot of fun to drive. Mine is also white. Enjoy!

We have a 2015 chevy sonic sedan with a 1.4 l turbo. makes 138 hp and weighs in at 2800 lbs. All about the same as what you bought. Our s seems more than fast enough for us.
Gets 34 mpg average.
That Celica looks much more sportier than our 4 door sedan. Enjoy. :steer:

Nice! I am sure you will enjoy that. I have a 2000 Celica GT with 125,000 miles (I am the original owner from American Toyota). It's not the fastest vehicle on the road with its 1.8 liter 140 HP engine and a manual five speed, but it's a lot of fun to drive. Mine is also white. Enjoy!

That's slick! 1 owner! Keep it forever. I almost prefer the 1ZZ engine to the Yamaha 2ZZ for reliability. You can make those Yamahas scream at 8000 rpm though. Whew. I bet that's a blast. I stopped looking for a 6 Speed GT-S a while back because of how much people liked to beat on them.

Evan is keeping my future Celica safe for me until he decides he doesn't need it any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom