What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (86 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chasing the P401 code I dove into pulling the manifold/throttle body and cleaning them, swapping the VSV all vacuum lines and while there the fuel filter. There are two vacuum ports on the manifold I can’t find in the FSM does anyone have any idea where these go? In these pics per the FSM I have these connected wrong. FSM states the VSV goes to the EGR valve. I corrected this and still the truck turns over but won’t start. View attachment 3439612
View attachment 3439613
View attachment 3439614

The circled hoses connect to opposite ends of a metal tube which is installed inside the upper intake manifold. There is no connection to intake manifold vacuum at this point, but one problem which can occur is that the metal tube gets blocked. A cheap vacuum pump w/gauge is an indispensable tool for diagnosing these sorts of issues.

Are you really having a no-start issue, or was that a mistaken statement? If so, that is more likely related to replacing the fuel filter.

120ish is about as hard as I push it. But she runs 110 all day
I've got an FT. She's my daily gym and boba runner and seems to purr pretty good at 120KPH. Definitely sounds better than it does at 110KPH, but that doesn't mean s***.

Front end rebuild, little brake refresh, rear window rust fix and seal replacement.

Brake components and knuckle kit from @cruiseroutfit
High strength knuckle studs and hardware from @landtank

4w10k4D.jpg

MTy8bNl.jpg

Ap18ONZ.jpg

Wi9yRuu.jpg

HamYwD9.jpg

Accidentally bought the wrong window seal, this one has a cutout for a chrome trim piece. Oh well

tWSX3aS.jpg

8vZYoXb.jpg
I thought you ran out of time and money?! :p

The circled hoses connect to opposite ends of a metal tube which is installed inside the upper intake manifold. There is no connection to intake manifold vacuum at this point, but one problem which can occur is that the metal tube gets blocked. A cheap vacuum pump w/gauge is an indispensable tool for diagnosing these sorts of issues.

Are you really having a no-start issue, or was that a mistaken statement? If so, that is more likely related to replacing the fuel filter.
Yes no start issue persists. The engine cranks but won’t fire over. All connections seem solid Rechecked the fuel filter and it seems good. I’m stuck here scratching my head on this one

finally got around to replacing the fan clutch with one from landtank. any guesses as to the provenance of the old one i pulled out? no brand markings i could find. is it worth refreshing or just toss it?

PXL_20230925_173726298.jpg

PXL_20230925_173750882.jpg

popped up the front of the cowl and vacuumed all the detritus from the corners and middle. the rear edge seemed pretty well secured by the windshield gasket so i left well enough alone. much better than before.

put a 1/4 turn on the drag link to center the steering wheel. made some bigger adjustments some months ago but it wasn't QUITE right. i think i got it this time. the pb blaster i hosed it down in back then made a big difference this time around as it turned like butter. didn't even need the big pipe extension!

and emptied about 1/2 a tube of moly grease into each knuckle. passenger side "filled up" faster with grease pushing through the opening. hope i did that right as this was my first time topping off. using the new lincoln grease gun was a treat as compared to my local parts store model i've had for 20 years. the little guy i use to grease up the drive shafts

PXL_20230925_204251180.jpg

Last edited:
finally got around to replacing the fan clutch with one from landtank. any guesses as to the provenance of the old one i pulled out? no brand markings i could find. is it worth refreshing or just toss it?

View attachment 3440148
View attachment 3440149

popped up the front of the cowl and vacuumed all the detritus from the corners and middle. the rear edge seemed pretty well secured by the windshield gasket so i left well enough alone. much better than before.

put a 1/4 turn on the drag link to center the steering wheel. made some bigger adjustments some months ago but it wasn't QUITE right. i think i got it this time. the pb blaster i hosed it down in back then made a big difference this time around as it turned like butter. didn't even need the big pipe extension!

and emptied about 1/2 a tube of moly grease into each knuckle. passenger side "filled up" faster with grease pushing through the opening. hope i did that right as this was my first time topping off. using the new lincoln grease gun was a treat as compared to my local parts store model i've had for 20 years. the little guy i use to grease up the drive shafts

View attachment 3440167
thats an Eaton clutch. refresh the silicone oil and it'll be good for another 30 years as long as the bearing is fine

View attachment 3440148
View attachment 3440149

View attachment 3440167

thats an Eaton clutch. refresh the silicone oil and it'll be good for another 30 years as long as the bearing is fine
I tried to get my Eaton to work better and finally shucked it for the aisin, upgraded and reclocked. YMMV

Chasing the P401 code I dove into pulling the manifold/throttle body and cleaning them, swapping the VSV all vacuum lines and while there the fuel filter. There are two vacuum ports on the manifold I can’t find in the FSM does anyone have any idea where these go? In these pics per the FSM I have these connected wrong. FSM states the VSV goes to the EGR valve. I corrected this and still the truck turns over but won’t start. View attachment 3439612
View attachment 3439613
View attachment 3439614
I don’t know the answer off hand, but they clog up so be sure to clean them out.

I was planning on retrofitting some BMW seats but I would have had to do some cutting of the floor that did not want to do and Installed new CORBEAU sport seats with Planted 80 Series seat brackets with custom armrest bracket. It was a lot easier installing these seats with the brackets and took away a lot time from customizing the BMW seats to fit I also installed a new armrest that I purchased from eBay “Adjustable PU Leather Seat Armrest Pair L&R for Car Truck RV Van Boat Universal” and made a bracket for the driver side seat.

20230917_155429_Original.jpeg
20230917_155401_Original.jpeg
IMG_2966.jpeg
20230925_175645_Original.jpeg
20230925_175641_Original.jpeg
20230925_175513_Original.jpeg

Put one old rusty LX450 down so another FZJ80 can live. Pulling apart the A343F to replace the busted transmission in my 97'

LC1.jpg
LC2.jpg
LC3.jpg
LC4.jpg

Found out the issue was the timing way off. Easy fix but the alternator swap didn’t fix this god awful whine noise. Anyone experienced this before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom