What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (131 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Please educate us on this nice little device. 😊. I think I have those same handles that you have on your roof rack (is it a table?) I put them on my Pinsu rack which is similar to the Bowfin you have. Have to say the Bowfin looks like a nicer design due to the clamps.
The handles on the upper bar are a slide for my Hobie. Made with t-slot extrusion. This bar releases with a latch from the rear and extends to the ground on the front side once extended out to help support the weight of the kayak when loading solo(hopefully lol) due to weather I have yet to test it. Added a couple handles to help pull it in and out. Both front and rear supports are independent so I can support the front kayak on that slide with ground support and lift the rear and slide the rear rail out under the kayak to load it up.
Fingers crossed it will work but if not I will just add a brace under the bowfin so the slide won't bust loose from the weight and crash down on me....
The spread works perfect to allow a 200w panel to sit right in the middle. Ill add a write-up in my build once I know it works...
These racks are a bit heavy but so user friendly and well made.

Took old buttercup to see her yellow flowered friends.

EF1C9C30-F1B6-4430-A54B-C84597251763.jpeg

Changed fluids in both axles, transfer case, and engine oil.

Got super sad when I drained the front.

20230415_123510.jpg

Lots of ferrous goop on the drain plug

20230415_122626.jpg

And part of a seal spring...

20230415_122907.jpg

Looks like I'll be pulling the front diff to inspect the gears, and a housing seal is toast. Might as well just rebuild the whole thing and pressure wash the inside of the housing. hooray....

Hopefully the gears are in serviceable shape.

I've got a mystery groan at neutral throttle. I thought it was the transfer case, but the fluid looked tits. So I'm guessing at this point it's something in the front end.

Rear axle fluid looked really decent too. So that's a win

Have a new video coming soon about the 80 series overlanding mods I’ve been doing to get ready for our trip out to Colorado this summer but til then here’s a cool little trail video showing off our groups 80’s. Hope you enjoy!

Awesome video man!

Changed fluids in both axles, transfer case, and engine oil.

Got super sad when I drained the front.

View attachment 3299905

Lots of ferrous goop on the drain plug

View attachment 3299906

And part of a seal spring...

View attachment 3299907

Looks like I'll be pulling the front diff to inspect the gears, and a housing seal is toast. Might as well just rebuild the whole thing and pressure wash the inside of the housing. hooray....

Hopefully the gears are in serviceable shape.

I've got a mystery groan at neutral throttle. I thought it was the transfer case, but the fluid looked tits. So I'm guessing at this point it's something in the front end.

Rear axle fluid looked really decent too. So that's a win
Just did my front axle and it was close to the same as yours minus the ferrous goop and not quite as thick it drained pretty fluid just had a lot of moly grease in it. I am just gonna swap the lube out 3 or 4 times in quick succession as long as I don’t get any chunks I am gonna call it a win

Just did my front axle and it was close to the same as yours minus the ferrous goop and not quite as thick it drained pretty fluid just had a lot of moly grease in it. I am just gonna swap the lube out 3 or 4 times in quick succession as long as I don’t get any chunks I am gonna call it a win
The amount of metal freaks me out, only because I'll order everything but the gears. Then I'll need gears, and not have gears.

The amount of metal freaks me out, only because I'll order everything but the gears. Then I'll need gears, and not have gears.
If you pay for shipping, you can have the stock gears that were recently removed from mine when I switched to 4.88s and installed lockers.

I finally got my LED relay installed and put old school bulbs back in the break lights to fix my lighting gremlins. Might need some HID for driving lights though, the LEDs (GTR lighting from headlight revolution) I got just are not bright enough.

If you pay for shipping, you can have the stock gears that were recently removed from mine when I switched to 4.88s and installed lockers.
I might take you up on that. As of right now, gear condition is unknown, and I won't open it up until August probably.

On a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to sow on a steering wheel cover?
1.5 - 2. It’s not hard just tedious and time consuming. Mine seemed to have been cut a little short so I had to go through the leather and synch it up in few spots and the secure with how the install instructions detailed.

It’s not hard at all hardest part was finding the time to devote to doing it. Watch a movie or something sitting on the couch with the wife. Kill several birds with one stone, fix something on the truck while spending time watching a crappy romcom, she has been wanting you to watch, That’s how I did it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom