What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (60 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up some used BIOR step sliders locally, very excited to get them installed.

20220626_125008.jpg

Swapped springs to correct sides. I was super excited when I lifted over a year ago and I did not pay attention to the side specific markings. I’m def a dummy. All better now going to get a alignment and see if I can figure out my rear end clunk I created after the lift. 🤬

84424CC7-1522-4291-B53F-8D8216643CEB.jpeg

9DB59A5A-787A-4ABC-BEDB-E9A44D9B3983.jpeg

This is happening. I'm swapping out the oily looking t-case with the merely dirt crusted one. The one I've pulled has bearings that are going out. I've thought that it was original with the 80 but finding the labeling on it I think it may have come from a junk yard. Our 80 has ca. 320k miles on it and we picked it up when it had ca. 125k on it so if this t-case is not original then original must have been damaged and replaced.

Pulling out the t-case has been a real pain because of the bulk and mass of the t-case. There may be only 6 bolts and few wire connections to undo but unless it's coming straight off the transmission output shaft it's not going to come off easily.

View attachment 3038942View attachment 3038943

Newer t-case going in. I picked it up from @slow95z last week and swapped over a few parts from my old case. I built a platform to hold the t-case on a transmission jack. 12" x 12" plywood with a couple of lengths of 2x2 and it balanced the t-case perfectly. Before rolling under the 80 I strapped it down just to help keep in place on the jack while moving the whole contraption around. To slide the jack and t-case under I had the lift one wheel of the 80. There was never a time when this did not feel unstable, but gravity is relentless and this still made me nervous. All worked out well and the t-case is installed and only have a few items left to hook up.

IMG_8213.jpg
IMG_8215.jpg
IMG_8217.jpg
IMG_8220.jpg

Getting ready to install a sub amp and wanted to upgrade my aux electrical stuff anyway.. Setup a power distribution panel with a switched fuse block. Works well for what I wanted.
power distribution1.jpg
power distribution2.jpg

Picked up some used BIOR step sliders locally, very excited to get them installed.

View attachment 3043629
I’ve had these for 10years. They are awesome. I’ve had the 80 teetering on them on rocks a few times.
Pro install tip: when mounting the passenger step slider tighten the 4 frame rail bolts first. Then the U bolts.

Last edited:
Deleted a CB and GMRS radio I installed a couple years ago. Just don’t use them. Also deleted front and rear ditch lights. Now moving the AUX fuse block to the PS rear quarter to power the fridge and interior cargo lights. I bet I pulled 40 feet of wire out of the truck today.

DBC764D5-61C4-4018-B9BA-72BD0ED65CDE.jpeg

BFFD8DE8-49FA-4C08-87DD-B008F6F43205.jpeg

D006DDE8-55E7-4246-951C-36094B826563.jpeg

60D43B36-2542-48A4-811F-140A237247A6.jpeg

F0E7F21D-564D-4305-B1FC-1836F523AA59.jpeg

Deleted a CB and GMRS radio I installed a couple years ago. Just don’t use them. Also deleted front and rear ditch lights. Now moving the AUX fuse block to the PS rear quarter to power the fridge and interior cargo lights. I bet I pulled 40 feet of wire out of the truck today.

View attachment 3044004

View attachment 3044005

View attachment 3044006

View attachment 3044007

View attachment 3044008
Nice blue sea gear! Just added that same usb/cig lighter combo to the rear for the fridge!!

Newer t-case going in. I picked it up from @slow95z last week and swapped over a few parts from my old case. I built a platform to hold the t-case on a transmission jack. 12" x 12" plywood with a couple of lengths of 2x2 and it balanced the t-case perfectly. Before rolling under the 80 I strapped it down just to help keep in place on the jack while moving the whole contraption around. To slide the jack and t-case under I had the lift one wheel of the 80. There was never a time when this did not feel unstable, but gravity is relentless and this still made me nervous. All worked out well and the t-case is installed and only have a few items left to hook up.

View attachment 3043716

If you get an extra rubber isolator/mount and bolt it directly to your jack. Then bolt that directly to the transfercase. No worries about it falling off and you can align it much easier

I’ve had these for 10years. They are awesome. I’ve had the 80 teetering on them on rocks a few times.
Pro install tip: when mounting the passenger step slider tighten the 4 frame rail bolts first. Then the U bolts.
Awesome advice, thank you!

Is there a torque spec I should follow? Or just crank it all down nice and tight?

Awesome advice, thank you!

Is there a torque spec I should follow? Or just crank it all down nice and tight?
There is no torque spec, and a torque wrench won’t fit on the upper bolts as the cat is in the way. You have to use a ratchet wrench. I used gear wrench because they are long.
The capture nuts on the frame are the weakest link so I ran a tap thru them a couple times just to clean them out. If no tap just use one of the new bolts. Then test fit. One of my top holes was a hair off and a quick bore with the drill make it perfect. All super fun while on your back wrestling a big arse slider!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom