What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@kennethargo the AC condensation should drain out through the firewall thanks to gravity. If it's backing up that indicates a clog. The evap box on these can get really dirty and to deal with the clog it likely makes sense to clean out the inside of the box. You can do this somewhat easily by pulling the blower motor and using the hole that removing it opens up to access the evaporator core and clean it and the area out, etc.

Search on the forum for more info on cleaning the evaporator / box and you should find nice pics, etc. There are a number of cleaning methods but you don't have to get it perfect, just get the blockage out of the drain for now.
Thank you for the response, I will do the search -- you have me pointed in the right direction... Ken

what's the best way to increase the gas mileage on my 97? haha.
Don't modify it, run stock Michelin tires, throw everything you don't absolutely need overboard, and don't exceed 60 mph. They'll actually do better than 15 mpg under these conditions.

Don't modify it, run stock Michelin tires, throw everything you don't absolutely need overboard, and don't exceed 60 mph. They'll actually do better than 15 mpg under these conditions.
You are so right when they are kept stock and run under 70 they can get 'respectable' MPG. I've already modified it a bit but have kept it pretty light (no armor, winch, bumpers, etc...never needed them for everything I've done) and when I travel I always keep it 65-70 and it's really not too bad.

I have dumped pills into the tank, placed magnets on the fuel line, installed a Vornado in the intake, installed V-Power spark plugs, installed a KN air filter, installed an Engine Ionizer, poured in 3 bottles of fuel system conditioner, cleaned the engine with Seafoam, and installed an Air Bleeder Valve in the PCV opening.

What else could I POSSIBLY do to get better mileage?

Inflate tires to 50 psi or higher will get significantly better MPG's. Of course the ride will suffer.
And you're accelerating tire wear straight down the middle for this so called "significantly better" mpg however that was calculated.

And you're accelerating tire wear straight down the middle for this so called "significantly better" mpg however that was calculated.
Try it on one tank and report back. Never said it was good for your tires.

I have dumped pills into the tank, placed magnets on the fuel line, installed a Vornado in the intake, installed V-Power spark plugs, installed a KN air filter, installed an Engine Ionizer, poured in 3 bottles of fuel system conditioner, cleaned the engine with Seafoam, and installed an Air Bleeder Valve in the PCV opening.

Um, you modified it. :doh:

:rimshot:

How about one of those performance chips that plugs into the OBD port?

Honestly, if you're daily driving a big truck and want to save fuel, go buy a car. Seriously, if you're going through $30/day in fuel, you could buy a brand new Corolla on a long term, insure, fuel and drive it for less than the truck, and still own the truck for fun stuff and not give a s*** about the mileage

Buy one of these. Cheaper than a car, 52 mpg, and super fun.

20220618_112133.jpg

Last edited:
Nice mod. I’m about to do something similar. I ordered an LED replacement for the original from Australia and am going to swap the wire for the bumper light with the corner light. That way the corner light becomes a turn signal and the bumper light becomes a running light.
I want to do the exact same thing. Can the wires just be swapped with new connectors from one light location to the other light location and be good to go?

Thanks for any input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom