What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went solar on the Prinsu. Gotta love extrusion bars.

727BF72E-E6C1-4653-BD91-4CBC18F08CEA.jpeg

9BBAAFEA-326B-4141-B9B4-DCA9A68B152C.jpeg

Massaged the fender into a semi state of normalcy after it's encounter with "Free Wheelie" and then added that dang dorkel. Wasn't too interested in one until the flashflood in Big Bend. The guy in the Tacoma behind me was pretty sure he wouldn't had made it without his and I was close to water depth limit I bet.
Now to repair/replace the flare, replace driverside mirror (hail damage, and continue search for both tail lights (hail damage).
0327201307.jpg

Went through a puddle and found out my driver-side rear axle shaft seal was leaking. When the axle shaft was removed, I found that the bearings had worn down and eroded the shaft, so it looks like I'll need a new axle shaft as well. I'd love to get a factory axle shaft replacement but they're pretty expensive. Has anyone ever used Dorman axle shafts before? I'm thinking about using theirs instead of factory to save some money, and they look pretty solid.

Replced the sh!tty old tailgate cover. Sheet metal underneath the cover was concave like when you slam a large tire on it. Used a slide tapper to flatten it out and recovered the gate with some 1/8 aluminum tread plate.

CB2ACF98-D522-4ABA-B315-7374E2404207.jpeg

2A4C6160-85CF-4DF2-B55C-03EBA60BEB46.jpeg

Been home all week and just happened to look at my knuckle studs. Only 2 of 4 were still there on the passenger side, so I dove in. I’ve owned this LX since June 2019 and have wanted to tear into these to see what I was working with. I’ve had some clicking from the left birf, too.

Ordered all the parts I needed from Cruiser Outfitters and Wits End. Had to end up ordering new spindles, as well, so I had to wait a few days extra for those. I found the wrong grease and a lot of silicone sealant on mating surfaces. No bueno. Gave me lots of time to get everything very clean and inspect everything. New birfs are now on the list due to the clicking and the scoring from the smoked bushing on the passenger side. Just can’t decide whether or not to actually upgrade, or just go with factory replacements.

Anyway, it was good to dig into and get eyes on everything and I’m happy to know it’s rebuilt to factory specs.

330DE34B-3BC6-471E-B13B-2C3BECB11F9E.jpeg

FAEEA05C-17FA-428B-AF24-856299E42751.jpeg

759C0E5F-0D2E-46AF-B96F-D3181510C6A3.jpeg

D5CF24BA-2573-44C9-9B4A-DD4418FB625F.jpeg

AE3BDC30-3862-4247-A504-70987F67363C.jpeg

Massaged the fender into a semi state of normalcy after it's encounter with "Free Wheelie" and then added that dang dorkel. Wasn't too interested in one until the flashflood in Big Bend. The guy in the Tacoma behind me was pretty sure he wouldn't had made it without his and I was close to water depth limit I bet.
Now to repair/replace the flare, replace driverside mirror (hail damage, and continue search for both tail lights (hail damage).View attachment 2250962
I added a snorkel for the same reason. Got caught in a serious flash flood in South Texas in December of 2002 on my hunting lease. Water washed completely over the hood, floated the truck several times and fouled 2 of my 6 plugs. I finally got traction and came out of the water about 30 yards downstream from the road. I sputtered up the hill on 4 plugs. I have since done a lot of things to water-proof the mechanical portions of my vehicle. There is no predicting when you could be in that position and not already having it done means you waited too late! Those thoughts occur to you when it is happening and you wish you had taken appropriate steps. Another guy on the lease had a brand new, red, Ford F150. It was underwater over the roof for a couple of months. He was lucky, he was hunting up the hill from his truck. It was in deep, fast flowing water by the time he got down the hill to where it was parked. Glad to see you made it out OK!

New to the forum, just picked up an LX 450 the other week and 3 days later the alternator went out so did that yesterday afternoon, today will be attacking the factory alarm which keeps going off every time I get in and forget the key in the house, neighbors must be thinking what the hell is going on. Anyway thanks for the crazy wealth of info on this site, hope to be on here more often.

Made some removable limb risers, welded the inserts to the bumper, rattle-canned it, now all I need is some wire and limbs!
Zona

978FC424-DC21-4C46-AC33-CD2C5A2A1B43.jpeg
6CAB67FE-B534-48FD-A13A-61249F5C69C4.jpeg

Last edited:
New to the forum, just picked up an LX 450 the other week and 3 days later the alternator went out so did that yesterday afternoon, today will be attacking the factory alarm which keeps going off every time I get in and forget the key in the house, neighbors must be thinking what the hell is going on. Anyway thanks for the crazy wealth of info on this site, hope to be on here more often.
Welcome! Just bought mine a few days back. So far I've replaced the tires. Intake hose was torn causing a slight vacumm leak. Now i gotta change the coolant, PO only put water in it 😐

Finally got around to swapping out my cracked dash. When i Bought the car back in September, the seller said dash, not cracked. When i Got there, I learned it was a separate dash, not installed. I read a little about how it’s a was a PITA, but honestly, in an hour and half I got 3/4 of the way and it wasn’t that bad. I repainted the the dash going in before hand and it’s going to
Look way better than that one I had with big old cracks right in my drivers view.

AA739A81-E302-4ACB-A8C4-25C98F2FB242.jpeg

E1F48CFF-A4C4-4AB2-955A-B2FC04128F2D.jpeg

A0771F8C-A169-4712-81AD-6F93CA367BE5.jpeg

5A4AEF76-772E-4D4C-9B62-FDFB3AABB33E.jpeg

Welcome! Just bought mine a few days back. So far I've replaced the tires. Intake hose was torn causing a slight vacumm leak. Now i gotta change the coolant, PO only put water in it 😐
Thanks! well got the alarm out, pretty easy, repaired a gear on the drivers seat, buttoned everything up and started it up. Let it idle for a while then turned it off, walked around the front noticed water dripping so started it up again slid under and looked for the leak. Apparently the radiator sprung a leak, it looked pretty new but previous owner said its been sitting a while so who knows. I knew going in I'd have to do some work as it has 244k but didn't think it be this soon, alternator and radiator in a week, wondering whats next:confused:

Finally got around to installing the ARB compressor thats been sitting for 6 mo., a front air chuck so I don't have to open the hood, simulated a riser wire with some yellow wire.

Zona

IMG_1149.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom