What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (48 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went on our fist run of the year, Nice hike up Leslie Gulch here in Idaho.
Got to play with my new Nikon D780 and Tamron 15-30 2.8 G2

780_0255.JPG

780_0185.JPG

780_0186.JPG

780_0207.JPG

780_0241.JPG

Fitted a Toyota auxiliary electric fan. All the fixtures are already there so it is more or less plug and play.

View attachment 2245241
View attachment 2245242

I installed mine with a switch in the cab so I have some control when off road.
This thing can move a serious amount of air.

That's sweet. Where did you source the part? Is that the OEM fan that would normally come in 80s not sold in the US?

That's sweet. Where did you source the part? Is that the OEM fan that would normally come in 80s not sold in the US?
It is indeed the fan designed for non-US 80 Series models. I got mine from Partsouq. This was was first time using them and the experience was pretty good.

New hood struts, OEM air filter, prep for ignition system overhaul. picked up 80w90 oil for diff and 75w140 synthetic for transfer case, molly grease and grease gun for knuckles. found what looks to be oil pan arch seal leak, scraped off thick grease from different spots of the undercarriage. tightened a couple valve cover bolt. noticed a few are not OEM and have washers under them.

Well. We went down to Big Bend and had ourselves a good old fashioned adventure. Got caught in a huge storm 20 miles from pavement which brought big hail and flash floods. I put the Cruisers pass into the storm to minimize broken glass. We lost both tailights(where can I find those?), one mirror, and the hood took a beating. Teamed up with a couple other rigs and self rescued and rescued 2 guys that were on motorcycles that got bruised up by the hail. Pushed through some pretty rough spots of deep flooding nearly hood deep and we are on a Slee 6" with 35's. Jeep in front got pushed sideways at one point but our heavy Cruiser stayed planted. Survived all that to only have the right wheel studs sheer off at about 45 mph sending the wheel out into the desert which took a good hour to find. Tire took the flare off real quick. Tow Bill to nearest shop was huge. We learned a lot over 5 days. Some things we knew but forgot and somethings were new lessons. Gotta love getting out there! At least we have some stories to add to our list and it created some great family dynamics where we needed to work together and rely on each to get problems solved.View attachment 2245087View attachment 2245088View attachment 2245089View attachment 2245091
Hit big bend this weekend too. Left the 80 home though and took the 200. Love it down there

20200321_161930.jpg

Did a seat Swap with seats from a LR Discovery. Nice to have armrests, heated seats, and waaayyy more adjustment room.
Also installed my 270° Awning from Overland Pros.

60653607893__256C33A5-D19D-422C-A6EB-7059A66B3A67.JPG

60653600948__FDB5F1E4-934D-438C-88F1-32525F0AFC92.JPG

IMG_2458.jpg

Those seats look like they were made for the 80. Where are the electric adjustment controls?
I got my inspiration from a few other different posts on here. They are definitely one of my favorite mods to date. The comfort is such a huge improvement. My old cruiser seats were still in good shape but the LR seats are 10x better. I mounted the controls on the center console. The LR Discovery has them mounted on the console as well so it was an easy swap to do. I'll try to get some pictures of the controls in a bit. You can see the edge of the controls on the picture above just past the seat and under the blank switch slots/coin holders.

Those seats look like they were made for the 80. Where are the electric adjustment controls?
The armrests are fantastic as well. I can't believe I waited this long to do the swap.

I got my inspiration from a few other different posts on here. They are definitely one of my favorite mods to date. The comfort is such a huge improvement. My old cruiser seats were still in good shape but the LR seats are 10x better. I mounted the controls on the center console. The LR Discovery has them mounted on the console as well so it was an easy swap to do. I'll try to get some pictures of the controls in a bit. You can see the edge of the controls on the picture above just past the seat and under the blank switch slots/coin holders.
yeah more info would be great. You've done an awesome job on the install. Those look like I could drive all day in way more comfort than my old stock seats.

I pulled most of my inspiration/ guidance off this page. @toadshade had some good guidance for me and this post had wiring information for the seats. I welded up my own brackets but buying some planted brackets may have been easier, just more costly. I pulled the seats from a 2002 LR Disco II. Be sure to get the wiring harness from the donor vehicle. The color isn't quite the cruiser's cream-colored seats, but its a pretty close match to the rest of the interior. If you want more info feel free to message me. I can get you more photos and a walkthrough. I probably should just get around to starting my build thread finally.

pulled off my tow package to sand and spray over some corrosion.

7A827961-FCAC-40A9-98DD-11B0104F2E97.jpeg

Looked at it, crawled under, saw more connectors on the main wiring harness are also broken, cussed, came inside, and am currently looking up 90980-1102/11401 on partsq.

One day my friends, one day I will get this wonderful feat of engineering awesomeness back on the road.

Installed new NTN O2 sensor in aft bank, CEL extinguished :clap:

pulled off my tow package to sand and spray over some corrosion.

View attachment 2245848
My tow package was a magnet for every rock in AZ--I got rid of it pretty quickly--lot's of great aftermarket bumpers with hitches. Plus, you'll get rid of a lot of dead weight.

Zona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom