What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (123 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, belts, fan clutch, flushed system... first time working on '92
3FE (new to me truck), have scars to prove it. Biggest mistake- got everything buttoned back up, walk around truck to start it, trip over fan shroud. DOH! Wife laughing as she came to see what the cursing was about didn't help.

Just finished my first birf rebuild. Now that I’ve done it once, the second time will go a lot faster. Thanks to this site it was like doing a lego set with my boys. Step 1....

View attachment 2166374
I did the same today, with the exception of the seized tie rod end. Tomorrow it will be pipe wrench’s and a blow torch!!! <evil grin>

99030486-5114-44AC-B6FA-A9F536578D15.jpeg

20191213_210245.jpg

Just finished passenger side birfield refresh last night, this is the only photo I had saved (before I pulled out the old inner seal). I need to tackle the other side this weekend hopefully and be done with the front axle for now.

I'm new to the forum although I've been browsing for the months since I bought my lc. Last weekend I went through and did some basic maintenance: plugs, cap, rotor, pcv, fuel filter, and replaced the old taped up intake hose with a new OEM piece.

Trying to baseline her to the point where I feel comfortable driving it to Tahoe in winter.

Simple maintenance. Replaced low beam bulbs, replaced broken headlight rims, replaced parking lamp bulbs, checked and topped off fluids, tried adjusting the hood so it’ll stop clipping the cowl when I open it but I think it’s the cowl not the hood. I’ll mess with that another time, looks slightly bent so I’ll have to remove the whole thing to take a better look. Took a bunch of reference photos of the engine bay and drivetrain, so I can have them on hand, in case I notice any new issues, or for replacement parts. Trying to get familiar with the layout of the vehicle.

Simple maintenance. Replaced low beam bulbs, replaced broken headlight rims, replaced parking lamp bulbs, checked and topped off fluids, tried adjusting the hood so it’ll stop clipping the cowl when I open it but I think it’s the cowl not the hood. I’ll mess with that another time, looks slightly bent so I’ll have to remove the whole thing to take a better look. Took a bunch of reference photos of the engine bay and drivetrain, so I can have them on hand, in case I notice any new issues, or for replacement parts. Trying to get familiar with the layout of the vehicle.

That's actually a good idea. I should take some pics too. That way when I break stuff I can remember what it looked like before. 😂

Simple maintenance. Replaced low beam bulbs, replaced broken headlight rims, replaced parking lamp bulbs, checked and topped off fluids, tried adjusting the hood so it’ll stop clipping the cowl when I open it but I think it’s the cowl not the hood. I’ll mess with that another time, looks slightly bent so I’ll have to remove the whole thing to take a better look.

My hood just started to ‘clip the cowl right in the center for some reason. Did you try adjusting hood yet ?
Thanks

I bought myself a fancy 270* Batwing awning, a few weeks ago. But I can't try it out until I: 1) put on the rack; b) figure out something for a bracket; iii) find somewhere to set the thing up.

:lol:

Tomorrow. Maybe...

Not Cruiser related but was cussing the whole time "why the !@#$ didn't I bring the 4Runner or the 80". My daughter and I drove out Christmas Eve to SD to surprise the wife who flew out earlier in the day. We drove back today 12/26 and encountered heavy snow from Alpine through the pass and it didn't let up till we dropped down the other side.

I seen a good looking 100, 5th Gen 4Runner and a Tacoma. Some people were driving like ass hats too.

View attachment 2166358

View attachment 2166360
Back in the mid 80s I lived in El Cajon and Santee and used to love driving up to Julian in weather like that. Was a rare treat for SoCal people!

Back in the mid 80s I lived in El Cajon and Santee and used to love driving up to Julian in weather like that. Was a rare treat for SoCal people!

It was nice seeing the snow but people either were going way too slow to maintain any traction or way too fast. We did come up on one truck that spun and hit the median and probably bent the frame.

View attachment 2167029

Just finished passenger side birfield refresh last night, this is the only photo I had saved (before I pulled out the old inner seal). I need to tackle the other side this weekend hopefully and be done with the front axle for now.

I'm new to the forum although I've been browsing for the months since I bought my lc. Last weekend I went through and did some basic maintenance: plugs, cap, rotor, pcv, fuel filter, and replaced the old taped up intake hose with a new OEM piece.

Trying to baseline her to the point where I feel comfortable driving it to Tahoe in winter.
Just drive it up there I did on mine the were built to last. I’m in the east bay

replaced my trans mount and broke one of the cross member bolts inside the frame :bang:. looks like I have some drilling ad tapping to do later next week. as a side note does anyone know the thread and pitch of the cross member bolts?

Ripped out the old ass alarm that had been disconnected partially (and uploaded the old pics again! to the tutorial)

Ripped out the ancient CD disc changer under the seat.

Ripped out the old CD disc changer brains under the dash.

Ripped out the old non-functional stereo.

Wired up new bluetooth Sony single-din stereo.

Prepping for under seat Alpine PWE-S8 powered subwoofer.

And lets see what else I can do.

It took two pipe wrench's, pb blaster and a cheater bar, but was able to break the seized tie rod end. Happily didn't need a torch! So, have all new triple 5 tie rod ends now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom