What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (101 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should work good for you and that's a good price. There's a lot of discussion about which radiator is best and which ones suck but for sure there is never a concise answer because everyone has different results.
I'm crossing my fingers it holds up. But for $160 its a good quick fix. I'm more worried about a new front bumper and winch at the moment. Trying to put money back for that.

I got the DENSO radiator off Rock Auto. It was only $160.00. Its plastic but this is not a long term solution for me. I plan on getting a better one sometime down the line. There are just other things I need to do to the LC that I would rather spend the money one. A buddy of mine bought the DENSO and its been working good for him but hes only had it for 3 months or so.

I am considering the Witts End fan clutch but its not cheap. We have an extra old fan clutch laying around and I think we are going to try replacing the oil in it to the same oil that is in the Witts End Clutch. We will see though.

What radiator did your buddy have that didn't last very long for him?....please don't tell me its the DENSO. HAHA
Wasn't a Denso..actually can't remember if it was 1917 or 1918 something like that. It failed but I have used that exact same one and it's worked great so you just never know. I wouldn't worry about it. Get one of the electric add ons or just save you $ to get WitsEnd...WAYYYYYY cheaper than a head gasket repair. ;)

I got the DENSO radiator off Rock Auto. It was only $160.00. Its plastic but this is not a long term solution for me. I plan on getting a better one sometime down the line. There are just other things I need to do to the LC that I would rather spend the money one. A buddy of mine bought the DENSO and its been working good for him but hes only had it for 3 months or so.
Nothing wrong with plastic - similar to OEM construction? Mine is 27 years old and still leak free, though i’m debating just replacing it proactively. Not that “death brown” color yet, though.

Put in a new radiator. My ScanGauge was telling me I was running 220 degrees the other day riding trails. So I figured a new radiator would help. So with the new radiator in I am running 190 sometimes getting up to 200 (I am in the Alabama heat). I guess the next step is the blue fan clutch.

What temps are you guys running? Any other suggestions on how to get my temp lower?

I'm running 188-192 during normal interstate driving conditions, 195-202 pulling a 6% grade at approx. 50 MPH and 202+ in stop/go. All of these are while blasting the AC in this HOT Southern sunshine.

Nothing wrong with plastic - similar to OEM construction? Mine is 27 years old and still leak free, though i’m debating just replacing it proactively. Not that “death brown” color yet, though.
I'm not sure if it is similar to OEM construction. I was just referred to it by a buddy and went with it. The radiator I changed out I believe was the original one but after seeing the temps get up to the 220s I figured it was time for a new one. My AC would also cut off when trail riding on technical stuff due to the temp getting up to the 225 range. I have a aux fan I need to install to help with that too though. I also changed out all my transmission hoses and radiator hoses. I had the classic oil pump gasket leak when I bought the LC which covered most of my hoses. The hoses didn't need to be changed but I figured while I was in there it couldn't hurt.

I will say for $160, it was easy for me to decide to change it.

I'm going on 6+ years with whatever aftermarket brand it was when I just needed one NOW. Works fine, no issues. With the Modified fan clutch I'm seeing ~190 overall, I'll briefly see 200 or so climbing hills, etc in the 100+ summer temps.

That sounds about where I am. Have you upgraded your fan clutch?
I pretty much did a coolant system overhaul for good measure. Replaced EVERY hose, radiator with above mentioned Denso and NIB blue fan clutch. Flushed and filled with Toyota Red and distilled water. PHH is by far and away the biggest PITA of everything.

spending a lot of time getting her ready to go to west coast again been home too long. Stedi lights are 5by5 red winch is good to go, extremeaire is plumbed wired and quiet. new 4x4labs bumper is painted #steelit witsend PS cooler kit landed and will go in to keep that new OEM steering gear 105pitman Beo got me before he went cryptid so Alucab is staying works out perfectly, merlin solar panel is sending juice through redarc1225D and keeping rear mounted lithium battery happy. fridge has been running for 5 days at 28degrees while truck has sat no problems and its a 65L dometic. replaced rear swaybar links with new landtanks, replaced rear LEDs and Its been a long weekend but friday morning Im going to ouray. So thats my weekend
DSCN1712.JPG
DSCN1722.JPG

I adjusted the accelerator cable, throttle cable, and hand throttle cable. Adjusting the accelerator and throttle cables seemed to wake the old cruiser up a bit.

spending a lot of time getting her ready to go to west coast again been home too long. Stedi lights are 5by5 red winch is good to go, extremeaire is plumbed wired and quiet. new 4x4labs bumper is painted #steelit witsend PS cooler kit landed and will go in to keep that new OEM steering gear 105pitman Beo got me before he went cryptid so Alucab is staying works out perfectly, merlin solar panel is sending juice through redarc1225D and keeping rear mounted lithium battery happy. fridge has been running for 5 days at 28degrees while truck has sat no problems and its a 65L dometic. replaced rear swaybar links with new landtanks, replaced rear LEDs and Its been a long weekend but friday morning Im going to ouray. So thats my weekend View attachment 2050414View attachment 2050415
You know its a good day when none strip out:

View attachment 2051290

She’s all dry now!

View attachment 2051291
well done thats no small tasks, do you have the new WITSEND screws with allens?

well done thats no small tasks, do you have the new WITSEND screws with allens?
Yep got new wits end allen screws in it!

Reactions: RFB
How many hours to seal those fuggers up? That's next on my list :(

How many hours to seal those fuggers up? That's next on my list :(
About 6 hours. The hardest part was loosening crank bolt - Just bump start it. I tried using my matco mini impact and it couldn't rock it.

Wife and youngest one are camping in the 80 and M101 with RTT for 4 days at a 4H fair (daughter is in both rabbit and Llama), and finally dug out this Napier SUV tent I bought awhile ago at a discount store. Seems to fit pretty good, even with dual swingouts. A bit of a pain to set up, maybe 10 minutes or so, but not too bad. Milo approved as well.

Amazon product ASIN B01NA6NXB3

naPPY1.jpg
NAPPY2.jpg
NAPPY3.jpg

F7F50943-6DAC-4459-898F-F513281AEB27.jpeg

34486789-8F5A-4035-928B-BFD6609B890E.jpeg

857A3703-D540-4C94-94FA-1B7263F5E7ED.jpeg

37748E98-4304-4C45-A03C-41493FBCB932.jpeg

C38EF2FC-74BC-4561-BDBD-3931B3D2899F.jpeg

Watch out for sink holes near drainage ditches when riding around on back country roads! This damn thing put us on our ass in the middle of the night...had to leave it there, hike through the forest to get picked up, and come back in the morning with pop’s truck to pull it out. That whole thing is like a cave underneath ready to give in for the next person that tries to drive over the little bit of dirt that’s left. Hope the string and plastic bags will deter the next guy

That things on tight tight tight I had the worst time getting mine off
I tried the bump start and it snapped my 3/4 to 1/2 impact adapter. Took 2 seconds though with my Milwaukee cordless impact gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom