What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (45 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What group did you go out there with? Looks like a good time.

My brother and a group of our friends from Tuscaloosa started a group call Black Warrior Expeditions. All Toyotas and a great group of guys to ride with. We have a shop that we do fab work and modifications. You can check us out on instagram at @Black_Warrior_Expeditions . Anyone that is ever interested in riding with us please let us know and we will be happy to have you.

Meat is what’s for dinner!! Spare tire in prep for SAS3.

B2EC2D64-13AC-4ECF-8E38-036CB3202883.jpeg

I had to miss this ride and am really bummed I did. That 80 is gorgeous! I am heading down to do part of the KAT this coming weekend, and will probably stop at Callies and hit some small trails on the way down.
It was a fun weekend. Sorry you missed out. We had around 60-70 trucks in all. The whole area has dried up pretty well except for the mud holes. You can download some of the trails Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway | CartoTracks. Have fun and safe travels. Post up some pics of the adventures.

I am experimenting with Kenda’s. 285/75/16 MT. Got them for a good deal. Have had them on the rig for a while. Quiet for a MT. Want to see how they are on the trail. 10ply. Load E.

Turbodiesel with a 5 speed too? It just keeps getting better. Next thing you'll tell me it comes equipped with a Victoria Secret model who knows her way around a camp kitchen.
I would be willing to pay Joe Rogan 80 series prices for that version

I am experimenting with Kenda’s. 285/75/16 MT. Got them for a good deal. Have had them on the rig for a while. Quiet for a MT. Want to see how they are on the trail. 10ply. Load E.

Not really this weekend, but I couldn't find a better thread to post this. Bought this '97 LX450 Limited Edition with a poorly done lift, no lockers and a leak in the engine bay (turned out to be oil pump). Over the course of couple of months, my local truck rebuild superhero executed a number of PMs and upgrades/mods/fixes. Primarily - fixed the lift with adjustable arms and swapped non-locking axles for locking ones, and added a bunch of armor all around. However, none of these fixes/mods would've been possible without very generous support from this forum, including a phone call to @LINUS who helped my friend identify the right parts to rob off a donor truck for the locker harness (while we were in the yard). Several other members routinely and quickly jumped in with help so as a token of appreciation, I upgraded my membership from Silver to Gold (for 6 years).

Before:

After (the roof rack isn't bolted in yet):

Since the rebuild, I've been to this place called Frank Raines OHV park (Stanislaus County, CA) - even the expert level trails felt like walk in the park, especially coming from leaf sprung trucks and auto-lockers (a '85 Toyota pickup and Samurai).

I like everything you've done...except the Roof Rack, which looks a lot like a giant grocery cart.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but if I see someone with their zipper down or crud in their teeth I tell them.

Zona

My 3rd gen 4runner fan blows some serious air. so I thought I would try installing a 3rd gen 4runner blower motor/fan in my 80 and see if it cranks out more air. The 80 has a taller fan and a taller housing, but the 3rd gen screwed right in and has the same plug. After feeling it, I would say it blows the same amount of air as the old fan. So I put the old fan back in. Also the cruiser fan has a opening in the bottom(not sure why) which the 3rd gen fan doesn't have. Oh well.
20190722_173542-1209x1612.jpg
20190722_173600-1612x1209.jpg

I like everything you've done...except the Roof Rack, which looks a lot like a giant grocery cart.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but if I see someone with their zipper down or crud in their teeth I tell them.

Zona

lol, no offense taken and I agree, it isn't the best looking roof rack but it is definitely pretty good, if not the best when it comes to utility and durability. Built from marine grade stainless steel, it was on a FJ55, I believe. The owner put it for sale on local craigslist and nearly caused a stampede amongst local Cruiser owners. I might consider trying to get it powder coated black just for aesthetics.

I was given a 1" body lift a while back that I was maybe going to use when I went to 37's. I took the necessary step to trim and adjust bumpstops to fit the 37's without the body lift. But I decided to install the body lift over the weekend so that I can shorten the bumpstops and regain a bit of travel that was lost with the taller bumpstops. I expected maybe 3-4 hours start to finish to get it installed. Well, as things normally go, it turned into 6 hours on Saturday and another 5 hours yesterday to finally get it done. Technically it's still not done because I have the whole front of the truck off and the seats out of the interior and that all needs to get put back together but the body lift pucks are installed with all new hardware. No pics just yet.

Everything was extremely smooth except for 3 of the bolts. Both of the front ones near the radiator were rusted inside the sleeves and wouldn't come out. Another on on the driverside near the dead pedal was also seized in the same way.

I ended up cutting the driverside footwell bolt out with a sawzall after working on it for about an hour. But there was no way to fit a cutting wheel or sawzall anywhere for the front two bolts. One of the bolts snapped off at the bottom of the sleeve. The remaining 5" of that bolt was drilled out. The last one finally came out after some serious hammer work to break it loose from the sleeve. What a pain that was! Seriously, I think I could have been done in 2-3 hours if those 3 bolts had not been so stubborn. Very straight forward job without corroded bolts. I'll be putting the front of the truck all back together tonight.

While I was working on the BL I noticed I have a bad rear axle seal so I'll be tackling that as well.

But....on a much more positive note, I was contacted by Goose Gear and they notified me that my rear drawer setup that I've been waiting for since April is finally done and is shipping today! I've always been a fan of the GooseGear products and really admire the fit and finish of their drawers and cabinet work for vehicles. I chose a relatively simple arrangement with just two equal sized drawers. No fridge/kitchen cabinet or other features. The plan is to use a MSA drop slide for my fridge. But I'm really looking forward to finally having some rear drawers to better organize the stuff I like to keep in the truck.

Here's the pics of my drawers that they shared on IG after the final test fit in their shop 80.
GG_drawers1 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

GG_drawers2 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

GG_drawers3 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

GG_drawers4 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

GG_drawers5 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I know some of you will have some questions about these since they are a brand new 80 series product. I don't have a ton of info on them but between this captured image of their IG post and the website it should answer any questions you have.
GG_drawers6 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Was this worth the price of admission? I love the cnc wrk etc. but what about weight? fit/finish etc. Ive never seen GG in an 80 series.

Woke up to go to work and realized something was missing.
20190724_071015.jpg

Someone stole my RTT while I was sleeping. Motherfuckers. If anyone sees a Trail tailor rooftop tent for sale online (probably in the PNW) LET ME KNOW.
Looks like this when open:
20190706_162452.jpg

From your driveway?! Damn... I'd ask your home owners insurance agent as well.

Woke up to go to work and realized something was missing.
View attachment 2038215

Someone stole my RTT while I was sleeping. Motherfuckers. If anyone sees a Trail tailor rooftop tent for sale online (probably in the PNW) LET ME KNOW.
Looks like this when open:
View attachment 2038217

Sorry man, hope your home insurance can cover.

But damn, they must have planned it really well.

Holy Crap!!
So sorry for your loss, that is serious bs! can you use your auto insurance to cover it?

Trying - they seem to be saying it should be on auto but auto is saying its renters... they're both the same company so i'm a bit frustrated.

From your driveway?! Damn... I'd ask your home owners insurance agent as well.

driveway, behind the house. Essentially where most peoples back yards would be.

Sorry man, hope your home insurance can cover.

But damn, they must have planned it really well.

That's what makes me a bit sick is knowing someone was planning that. There's no way with it's tucked back location that it wasn't somewhat planned.

Thanks all. s***ty way to start the day. Keep an eye on your facebook market/craigslist/offerup/forums for any Trail Tailor RTTs! My guess is it'll be sold off at some s***ty flea market or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom