What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I copied you on this little project. Looking good so far. I was wondering if you were able to get the bottom portion of the new lid to latch with the console? Did you modify the latch to get it to sit further forward?

Thanks.
Yes, you have to move the latch forward. Others have done the same thing which is where I learned about it. My original lid was trashed and the molded hinge fell apart. I like the metal accordian hinge on this one. Feels like it will last longer.

Back to original wheels. Before and after pics…
IMG_8473.jpeg
IMG_8745.jpeg

looks great with the K02's, i run the same set up! are they 31's or 33's?
Yes I really like the look. They are 33x10.5. The other black wheels I replaced were 32x11.5

Driving up I-65 in Alabama, south of Montgomery, I had this ragged looking 518i BMW passed me. Passenger gave a big thumbs up and I returned with a thumbs up. Figured this was just two guys admiring another old vehicle on the road, but there was more to it. I stopped for fuel and they just happened to be doing the same and I pulled in behind. As it turns out this is Ryan and Sam, friends of @HemiAlex and they had recognized my 60. We talked Cruisers for a bit, and some about the BMW, which is well built under that shell. These guys had traveled from Houston and were headed to Atlanta to a gathering of old BMWs.

IMG_9984.jpg

Sam straight gets down in the bmw that he tracks frequently and Ryan has a killer 60 he’s built. Good people.

The bmw has basically unknown mileage. It’s great.

IMG_2269.jpeg

IMG_2270.jpeg

IMG_6797.jpeg

Installed an 80 series brake booster in the quest to get a bit better stopping power - this is 44610-60570 which is for a HZJ80 and puts the vacuum hose pretty close to factory for an RHD FJ62.
Its very tight with the clutch booster but does fit.
20230427_131848.jpg

20230520_172015.jpg

Installed Dobinson IMS shock absorbers on the front (replaced 7yo OME "Sport" shocks).

The OME's were toast. I could easily compress them by hand, and the return to full extension took about 5 seconds... slow.

The new Dobinsons were a bit of a bear to fit. Had to use my bottle jack to compress them just enough to slip on the perch (with my leaf springs hanging and fully extended). I've got the rears to do next week.

Did the install in my Dad's shop. The ride back to our place was a joy. The Dobinsons are excellent, and at least in my estimation, a serious upgrade over the OMEs (even when new).

Looking forward to seeing how the Dobinsons perform off-road.

The IMS seems to be a no brainer as the go-to shock nowadays
Absolutely. After reading a bunch of good reports here, I pulled the trigger. Very glad that I did.

Absolutely. After reading a bunch of good reports here, I pulled the trigger. Very glad that I did.
My OME lift has served me well, but even with new bushings and proper greasing, I still get a lot of chatter and clunking. Going to save up for a set of Dobinsons. If that lift is anything like as good as the IMS shocks, it will be another improvement over the OME

Installed an 80 series brake booster in the quest to get a bit better stopping power - this is 44610-60570 which is for a HZJ80 and puts the vacuum hose pretty close to factory for an RHD FJ62.
Its very tight with the clutch booster but does fit.
View attachment 3327519
View attachment 3327518
good to know about this part number, as you may saw mine has different vacuum hose location.

Got my wheels and tires mounted up and pulled the tranny to rebuild the t-case and prep for the H55.
D75BDC3B-0383-4270-8406-2E346022ABFE.jpeg
458AE68D-C3F5-4F52-AF79-C8A9304AC512.jpeg
3E075825-9917-40D9-94D3-208802941285.jpeg

they are fire for the 60s, but did you play with the gas pressure or you kept it as is?
I kept mine as is from the factory. Will tinker with them later. Out of the box, the ride was markedly improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom