What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wrapped up the 3FE water pump and radiator install. Filled it and brought it to operating temp and have a leak. Looks like it's at the water pump. I bought an Aisin from Rockauto and used the included paper gasket with some goo. I'm going to pick up an OEM gasket and redo it. Should be able to knock it out in a day since I've just gone through this.

IMG_7303.JPG

Minor 3FE set back with broken adjuster bolt on the pulley but parts stash to the rescue. I had a spare from the '88 FJ62 that I stripped down a few years ago.

View attachment 2908627View attachment 2908628
One of the first things I had to do when I bought my 62 a few years ago was to replace the water pump to stop a coolant leak. It was a nightmare. Broke the same pulley tensioner bolt you did and had to wait a week or so to get a replacement bolt. I later realized the tensioner bolt on the AC compressor was bent and had to replace it. Fortunately I had ordered 2 bolts (130mm long if memory serves correctly). I guess someone had bent the bolt when using it as a fulcrum for a pry bar.
The worst part was that the pump was missing 2 of the 3 studs and someone had used a 3/8" bolt instead of 10mm as one of the fasteners. It had only marred the threads slightly and I was able to chase them with a tap and use an appropriate size bolt to put it back on. I think I must've got the same Aisin pump you did with a paper gasket. I used RTV on both sides and fortunately it didn't leak.

Re-did the front crank seal and timing cover gasket I had messed up previously. Kinda miz.

Inaugural use of the m12 fuel 3/8 ratchet and m12 fuel die grinder so that helped. Got an inch-lbs torque wrench too so I wasn’t guessing on the timing cover bolt torque.

HOT TIP: the $16 steering wheel puller from Harbor Freight is perfect for pulling the crank pulley.

D7D7E7E2-2E90-487C-BC5A-1517E544F629.jpeg

3C3E2CCA-D869-4515-BDD1-AB446241FCBE.jpeg
D0E2694C-2DF7-460D-A47C-2E0596DCE11D.jpeg
56B31DE8-B62A-4123-94D0-22BEBF83056C.jpeg

Re-did the front crank seal and timing cover gasket I had messed up previously. Kinda miz.

Inaugural use of the m12 fuel 3/8 ratchet and m12 fuel die grinder so that helped. Got an inch-lbs torque wrench too so I wasn’t guessing on the timing cover bolt torque.

HOT TIP: the $16 steering wheel puller from Harbor Freight is perfect for pulling the crank pulley.

View attachment 2909235
View attachment 2909232View attachment 2909233View attachment 2909234

Nice. Geez man I kick myself over this job, I had almost the whole front clip off during the covid shutdown and talked myself out of doing the front seals.
Was doing lots of other work and chickened out.

Man what a difference, looks great! How difficult was it to remove/replace? I picked up some “new to me” foam for my drivers seat and I’m wanting to get it installed but didn’t know if I’ll need new hog rings or any specialty tools for the process. Thanks
Mine was also “new to me” but I washed it on gentle setting with oxyclean and it turned out incredible. It’s real easy, I bought hog ring pliers but honestly it was easier for me with just needle nose and a flat head screwdriver. I reused my old hog rings which I do not recommend, but I’m a budget bob and didn’t want to spend the extra $10 on a pack of new ones. It’s easy, you’ve got it!

Mine was also “new to me” but I washed it on gentle setting with oxyclean and it turned out incredible. It’s real easy, I bought hog ring pliers but honestly it was easier for me with just needle nose and a flat head screwdriver. I reused my old hog rings which I do not recommend, but I’m a budget bob and didn’t want to spend the extra $10 on a pack of new ones. It’s easy, you’ve got it!
👍 perfect thanks! I’ll skip a couple of Starbucks mornings so I can spring for some new hog rings

Irrigated the undercarriage to dilute the saltbrine, and encourage the next snowstorm. . .

I'm in the big town for a few weeks so I did something for the 60 in the absence of the 60. Ordered some 42601-60262-03 70 series 16" rims. I ordered them from the local Stealership which lived up to its name -- it was a steal -- $100 Canadian each, way less than anywhere else I'm seeing. They are saying up to 2 months wait though.

I am going to wrap them in 255/85/16. I'm leaning towards the Yokohama Geolandar but the Toyo Open Country M/T looks good too. I have a set of Open Country A/T that I like.

They will fit the 80 series axles I will eventually put underneath.

Now my question: Should I paint them? I know they are already painted but usually Toyota steelies just rust right through the paint when exposed to anythign remotely salty, not that I plan to use it in winter. I'm thinking the Rustoleam silver appliance epoxy which has the exact same colour as brushed bare steel. I painted my 4runner rims with this stuff in white and it holds up well.

Not my image!!
RFrtMT_zps87e60e60.jpg
I say chrome them! That’s my plan. Man $100 CAD each? What is that like $80USD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom