What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Air chisel will make short work of those rivets.
I tried but it doesn't seem to budge them. I'm running 90 psi but maybe it isn't a very good chisel. I can shave them off to flush but they won't come out of the hole, they are rusted in.

Air chisel will make short work of those rivets.
Yep! Air chisel to rip the end off. Use a drill to put a dimple in the rivet. Then a punch in the air chisel in the dimple. PB blaster the day before. Dirty work, but it’s fun once you get the hang of it. I’ve never done c-channels, but this worked when I was replacing leaf springs hangers.

I tried but it doesn't seem to budge them. I'm running 90 psi but maybe it isn't a very good chisel. I can shave them off to flush but they won't come out of the hole, they are rusted in.
PB blaster. Drill them out a little bit. They’ll come out. You just gotta boss em around.

Attended SSS 2021 SSS 2021 - Mark Twain National Forest Oct 22-24 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sss-2021-mark-twain-national-forest-oct-22-24.1256394/

Round trip was 1300 miles with ca. 100 miles in 4WD low range. Trail riding fuel mileage was 5 mpg, we went prepared with 20 extra gallons in Scepter cans. Great weekend.

1635183267296.jpeg

1635183295583.jpeg

1635183312158.jpeg

1635183341471.jpeg

1635183360208.jpeg

$430 to have them rebuild the 80 box I sent them. If you have a late model 1985+ with offset mounting holes for frame it’s a 100% bolt on deal (minor trim of fender to fit is necessary..I went a little overboard on my trim). The steering is tight now and it’s an upgrade over stock in size. The only upgrade I did not do was the larger 105 sector shaft that they will install as part of rebuild for you if you supply it and you needs a new pitman arm if doing the 105 shaft. Call them and they can do the 105 shaft and even port the box for hydro assist if you want! Very happy with the quality of work and fast turnaround time they had..
What is the difference between Redhead rebuilding one and getting a new (~$400+) or reman(~$275) 80 box from Rock Auto?

Nice! We're bringing the 62 down to Moab this weekend. Haven't quite decided what trails we're running yet. What brand were those little deflators? I've seen them around before, and thought they sounded pretty cool!
No brand on them, I'll ask my son.
IMG_20211025_121853116.jpg

What is the difference between Redhead rebuilding one and getting a new (~$400+) or reman(~$275) 80 box from Rock Auto?
Redhead has strict quality standards. Lots of the bulk reman places do not. Mainly to do with slop tolerance. They won’t put one back out if it won’t adjust back to spec

Buy a new chisel ...in fact buy 2.

I bought a 5 pack of chisel heads. The flat one to cut the heads off the rivets and the pointy one to drive them out. Or you can turn the flat one and use the pointy edge but you may break the chisel. You're definitely going to need it if you want to remove the rivets that hold the rear shackle mount to the frame. You can't get a grinder up in there. And drill bits...forget it...you'll wear yourself and your drill bits out. One other alternative would be oxy/acetylene torch and blow them out but that has its own inherit problems with the fuel tank right there.

I haven't had Grace on a trail in a while and I needed some "therapy". My son and I did a section of Fins'n'Things.

He gave me these cool air down nozzles that you attach to each wheel. When the first one gets to the desired pressure, you just walk around removing them in order. Way more easy and quicker than the ARB tire deflater.View attachment 2818687
The trip went smoothly considering I hadn't been out here in months. Lots of SxS's but they were all polite and we had the trail to ourselves for the most part. Here's a poser shot and some scenery.View attachment 2818689
View attachment 2818691
This is a "must do" trail if you visit Moab. Lots of thrills but gentle on machines, no need for lockers.
Funny Story, I just snapped a picture of your cruiser in my office parking lot in Park City.

Buy a new chisel ...in fact buy 2.

I bought a 5 pack of chisel heads. The flat one to cut the heads off the rivets and the pointy one to drive them out. Or you can turn the flat one and use the pointy edge but you may break the chisel. You're definitely going to need it if you want to remove the rivets that hold the rear shackle mount to the frame. You can't get a grinder up in there. And drill bits...forget it...you'll wear yourself and your drill bits out. One other alternative would be oxy/acetylene torch and blow them out but that has its own inherit problems with the fuel tank right there.
I was able to drill through two rivets without too much trouble but the hole is centered, I think it should have been off center so as I go bigger it eventually reaches the edge of the rivet and hopefully at that point the thing just falls apart.

I was able to drill through two rivets without too much trouble but the hole is centered, I think it should have been off center so as I go bigger it eventually reaches the edge of the rivet and hopefully at that point the thing just falls apart.
Have you tried soaking it in pb blaster? Those suckers really need some persuasion sometimes.

When I get around to doing this job I plan on adding some grease zirks to the new c channels to pump grease between them and the frame every once in a while.

Feels good that a 4runner parked beside her. She looked all alone out there. 😄
Sadly I didn't have my HJ61 with me to park next to you.

Also get a long stroke chisel. The little cheap ones just make noise and dont hammer.

You didn’t see the desert tan fj60 across the street?
That would have made my trip!
It was the oldest vehicle on the road for the entire journey.

First real road trip since the Sniper install. My tires are taller, 17.5% difference from the odometer. Average mpg for the last 3 months is 12.09 mpg. Best is 15.09 mpg (corrected). It doesn't seem very good but driving it is way better. It pulls grades like it never has before. Much less time in 3rd and not getting passed nearly as often.

The improvement in performance is remarkable. I'd recommend the sniper to anyone who is desmogging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom